Can you purchase a strangers photo?

Princess Ariel

Last cruise, I was getting photos taken (I very rarely ever have them taken and purchase them even more rarely but I'd bought something in Antigua and was wearing it). Anyway, this man was standing there watching and simply walked up, told the photographer he wanted his pic taken with me, and I was so surpirsed I just said, uh, ok. Yeah, I guess.

I (male) had a situation similar to this one. I was hanging out with my new friends on the lido deck. That day, I wore a funny T-shirt, which got me some equally funny (but complimentary) comments from other people on the ship. One woman saw it, and asked to have a picture taken with me (on her personal camera). It was a little bit shocking, but the request sounded sincere and she seemed cool, so I obliged. She and her friends joined my group for a little bit after that.

I suppose my situation is less weird than your situation, plus she asked me directly. But it was similar enough that I thought it'd be funny to mention it.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

I also have never seen this before. Please tell me we are not moving toward the Sports Illustrated/Carnival Swim Suit Edition..... Lawdy, I haven't the strength......

Lisa

Our favorite cruise pic ever was taken during sail away while we were in the pool, hanging on the edge with an adult beverage!

While on a cruise last week we were looking through the photos and we overheard an interesting conversation. There was a group of guys looking at a very pretty girls candid pool photos, one of just her and one of her and a friend. One said that he was going to purchase the photos to show his buddies back home. They clearly did not know the individuals on the pictures.

That got me to thinking. Can anyone purchase any of the photos on board? These girls may have wanted to purchase the photos for themselves and would never had the chance to look at/purchase them if these guys actually bought the pics. I am not sure if they bought them or not as we moved on.

Oh yes! Anyone can buy the pictures on display. And the situation you described is creepy!!

Carnival could prevent it, but it would be too much effort for the number of shots they take, especially with the candid shots they take, or the shots they take in Camp Carnival. We've had our picture taken on numerous other vacations or venues, and you usually get a small receipt from the photographer, then you go to wherever they're selling the photos and turn in the receipt. It used to be that places then showed you the developed/printed picture(s), now most just pull them up on a screen.

My daughter and her friend had something creepy happen with photos on a cruise. They were only 15 years old at the time and had a great time going around the ship and having their pictures taken at a lot of the photo stations. The odd thing was, NONE of the pics ever showed up in the studio. We never did figure it out. We kind of thought that maybe some other teens on board were just being mean and would go to the studio and then throw away their pictures. It's unlikeley that they were buying them because most teens wouldn't be able to afford them. Maybe they were some how stealing them. The creepier scenario would be some adult pervert could have been buying them. It was just really weird.

I dont think it should be difficult to fix this. We were in Playa del Carmen a few years back, and went to Xplore park. They had a tracking devise for a helmet, and had cameras all over the park with places marked for people to stand up and pose, cameras don't take that much space at all, and at the end of the day they had a kiosk that recognised the tracking devise on your helmet and all of your pictures, and only your pictures would come out. Very convenient, easy, and modern way to sell pictures. We never feel harrassed by anyone, and it was very easy to look at our pictures, not to mentioned private.

Sent from my Le Pan S using Forums mobile app

I agree, creepy.

I dont think it should be difficult to fix this. We were in Playa del Carmen a few years back, and went to Xplore park. They had a tracking devise for a helmet, and had cameras all over the park with places marked for people to stand up and pose, cameras don't take that much space at all, and at the end of the day they had a kiosk that recognised the tracking devise on your helmet and all of your pictures, and only your pictures would come out. Very convenient, easy, and modern way to sell pictures. We never feel harrassed by anyone, and it was very easy to look at our pictures, not to mentioned private.

Isn't this something like RFID technology - sounds like a good/safe method.

On a related note, I see that my cruise photos each have a bar-code on the front (appears to differ by photographer/background used), and that some of them have one of those metallic store-security things pasted on the back. Surely that would include individualized code. Perhaps if one was missing a photo they could trace it electronically to indicate who purchased it. I know - a lot of hassle. But if one was trying to trace who purchased your pictures (by error/ :eek: ) then this might be the way to go to trace it.

At the end of the day I think they waste too much paper anyway printing these things out ad nauseum. I really think they should go the way that theme parks do it now: Pull up your picture online, select size and quantity, and then click PRINT.

Since when has Carnival been taking Pics by the pool? I have never seen that before.

See it on every cruise. They were even playing them on the big screen BY the pool on Breeze!

And yes i think it is a little creepy to just buy some stranger's picture because he or she is attractive, but I'm sure it happens.

However, I think if you know when the picture was taken they may be able to find it electronically and print you a new one.

See it on every cruise. They were even playing them on the big screen BY the pool on Breeze!

And yes i think it is a little creepy to just buy some stranger's picture because he or she is attractive, but I'm sure it happens.

However, I think if you know when the picture was taken they may be able to find it electronically and print you a new one.

I think you are referring to the videographers that make the video that you can purchase at the end of the cruise. I have been on 13 cruises and I have never seen the official photographers taking pictures of people by the pool, maybe I have been having too much fun to notice :p which is a possibility.

I remember reading a review about Disney cruise lines about how the photos were all digital and you accessed them on a kiosk with your room key and and only the photos related to your room key came up. I thought that was a really great feature....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sent from my Le Pan S using Forums mobile app

This would work fine for posed photos such as individual or family/friends. But for candid photos with many different individuals, this will not work. For instance, a candid photo taken at the pool with 20 different people, who gets to purchase these pictures?

You can hire a photographer through Carnival to follow you around and take pictures of you on the ship and on the islands. It's VERY pricey.

The tag on the back of the photo is for security. After you purchase your photos, you walk through a scanner. The scanner will pick up that tag if you haven't paid for them.

We go down early morning, view the photos and tear up the ones we don't want. This would help prevent anyone else from looking at your photos. There are buckets on the floor near the photos for you to dispose of the ones you don't want.

While it seems a little creepy, it's really no different than using your own camera to snap pictures of strangers. You don't need permission to take someone's photo in a public place (although they might not be happy about it!)

Bingo. Creepers are gonna' creep. If someone wants to buy your photo for whatever unspeakable acts they're going to do when they get back home - you can at least take comfort in knowing that they had to pay good money for the privilege.

We were on a cruise in Nov 2013 and there was a large tour group (friends of dorthy). One nght we had a little too much to drink and were talking to some guys from the group (some real fun guys). It was photo night and we saw two guys getting thier pictures taken together. I made a comment that the photo didn't look gay. One of the guys said my brother in law and I should do better. After some prodding from our wives we had 3 very interesting photos taken.

The next day was a sea day and we slept in. Later in the day we remembered the photo and went to get it. the photo area was closed. We went back after dinner and found one of the three photos we had taken. We went to the desk and the guy looked at the photo and was laughing that our friends bought the other two earlier. We looked at each other and realized we could be spank material on some adult alternative website.

Be carefull what photos you take, anyone can buy them.

Edited by adaptabl

We were on a cruise in Nov 2013 and there was a large tour group (friends of dorthy). One nght we had a little too much to drink and were talking to some guys from the group (some real fun guys). It was photo night and we saw two guys getting thier pictures taken together. I made a comment that the photo didn't look gay. One of the guys said my brother in law and I should do better. After some prodding from our wives we had 3 very interesting photos taken.

The next day was a sea day and we slept in. Later in the day we remembered the photo and went to get it. the photo area was closed. We went back after dinner and found one of the three photos we had taken. We went to the desk and the guy looked at the photo and was laughing that our friends bought the other two earlier. We looked at each other and realized we could be spank material on some adult alternative website.

Be carefull what photos you take, anyone can buy them.

LOL! Did you end up on you tube!:D

We had a family reunion on the Splendor a couple of years ago. There were 38 of us (my parents, their eight children, all the spouses and grandchildren). Most of us don't have lots of disposable income to spend on pictures taken on a cruise, and we all have nice digital cameras to take our own. I'll admit, though, that the professional photos taken on the ship are fantastic and our own photos can't compete with them. As a gift to each family, my older brother bought each of us 5 to 6 photos of our families that were left for sale by the end of the cruise. He presented them to us as gifts and we now all have wonderful photos and memories that we couldn't have afforded on our own. He spent hours in the photo gallery choosing the best photos. I can just see him walking up to the register - a 60 yr old bachelor, with slightly balding gray hair, buying 50 or 60 photos of families, teens, young girls, etc. Do you think Carnival would even question his purchase which must have come to over $500? I think not. And how would he have felt if they had some policy in place of questioning someone buying photos because it was 'creepy'?

I guess the bottom line is - if you are afraid someone may buy your photograph and use it for nefarious purposes, just say 'NO' to the photographer.

I've never even thought about buying someone else's pictures! I totally understand buying pictures of your friends and family, but it's just plain creepy and weird to buy pictures of total strangers! This just gives me another reason to avoid the photographers!

Is money green? Then yes

NO -- just the 20's are

Hah! I knew you were a fellow Canuck even before I read where you were from! When I first moved to the US I used to get the 1's and 20's mixed up! Made for some embarrassing moments!

OP- nothing to stop it which is why my friend never let's the photogs on the ships take her kids' photos.

Since when has Carnival been taking Pics by the pool? I have never seen that before.

They would take your picture in a restroom if they think you would buy it.

Edited by keith75

When we were at Disneyworld a couple of years ago. We had a card and the photographer scanned/swiped before each set of pictures were taken. Then once we got home we were able to look at the photos at our leisure and purchase whatever kind of combo pack we wanted. T-shirts, coffee mugs or plain on paper shots to frame and so on and so on.

I wonder why Carnival doesn't do this. Seemed easy enough.

krystal

sent from my broken Samsung