A case of wine

cruise 429

When bringing a case or two of wine (including port) on board, do you give it to the sommelier the day of embarkation who will store it for you and at dinner ask him for a specific one, or do you keep it in your cabin and each night only bring the bottle down to dinner that you want to drink.

Cunard is pretty relaxed about bringing wine onboard. The $23 charge for corkage and service fee is no big deal depending on the particular wine being drunk. Cunard understandably has a huge mark-up so if you are planning on drinking reasonably expensive wines, it may pay to bring them with you and happily pay the fees. More importantly, you drink those wines you enjoy as opposed to what is available at any given time.

On multiple trips I have brought a couple of bottles of Dom on board. Brought it to both the QG on QV and Todd English on QM2 and never got charged a corkage fee. It may be an oversight ??

Of course I tip very well and it was Dom of course??

I remember two separate couples, on two separate "long" voyages on two different Cunard ships, who renewed their gin supply regularly at various ports along the way.

Some people like a quiet drink in their staterooms before dinner every night. Difficult to bring "enough" for long voyages (a month and over) when you first come aboard.

Everyone puts belongings through the scanner when re-boarding a ship, but there never seemed to be any objection if "belongings" included a new bottle…

Happy sailing!

Last trip I took six bottles of wine plus 2 of champagne.

In practice Cunard does not interfere with carrying on a reasonable quantity of wine.

Hi what is a reasonable amount ? I need to know

As I know a discount wine warehouse in Hoboken NJ

Real discount .

They offer to deliver the cases to the pier

On sailing day.

I would love 2 cases for a crossing

That could work?:)

• 1 month later...

What's the preferred way of bringing wine on board? Do you buy a case and leave it in the box and attach a luggage tag, do you put them in a special carrier and tote them by hand, or do you just wrap them carefully in your luggage? Going on my first cruise / first TA, and was thinking about picking up some wine in NYC. Thanks!

Carry it. I have a wheeled canvas cooler (about the same dimensions as a wine case) sort of like this:

P13534467.jpg

but you could also consider a collapsable wheeled tote of about the same dimensions sort of like this:

Compact-Collapsible-Luggage-Cart_1656094.jpg

A couple of notes:

of course anything you carry on must fit through the X-ray scanner; in Brooklyn there's one scanner with an opening large enough for my canvas cooler.

and also, glass bottles may of course break no matter who handles them; one of my wine bottles broke inside the cooler en route to the hotel the weekend before the cruise - good thing the cooler has a leakproof liner but it was still a bit of a mess.

EDIT: For a TA you probably will want less than a case. I bought a 6-bottle wine carrier on Amazon:

51KWYBjuTpL.jpg

Edited by Underwatr

So just looked up the policy for bringing on alcohol and it seems that either the website is wrong or they do not enforce the policy. Now, I am wondering if it is worth the risk bringing on more than one bottle of wine each.:confused:

They don't enforce the policy, and they say so in the FAQ.

Passengers are permitted to bring one bottle of wine OR champagne per person (over the age of 21) onboard, however all passengers should be aware of the below policies -

We reserve the right to remove alcohol at the gangway should the need arise. It is not our intention to invoke this policy as a matter of course and we will only implement on occasions where we consider it likely that the health, comfort, safety and enjoyment of passengers may otherwise be compromised.