Telephone Cruise Scam???

skf

There was a scam a while ago that basically had someone saying "To receive more information click one after some fast talk.

Technically by pressing 1 for more info, you are agreeing to let them contact you later to 'provide more info' and thus clear DNC requirements. Haven;'t seen one of those in a long time.

And just where did you get that piece of wonderful min-information about pressing 1?

If you just read it on the Internet, please don't spread this kind of stuff. It's scaremongering, almost as bad as those who believe that ice crystal contrails behind aircraft is "geo-engineering."

That's why Caller ID was invented. I never pick up a phone unless I know the number. And if legitimate, the caller will leave a message.

As for the "do not call" registry; that's a joke. And if you report them? Also a joke. Eventually some of them get tired of always getting a machine pickup and it does stop. But others start.

I agree, I have probably reported Card Services, cardholder services, cardmember services 300 times and they just keep calling. I would like to get a job with the "do not call" registry because I wouldn't have to do anything.

Doug

There was a scam a while ago that basically had someone saying "To receive more information click one after some fast talk.

Technically by pressing 1 for more info, you are agreeing to let them contact you later to 'provide more info' and thus clear DNC requirements. Haven;'t seen one of those in a long time.

Yes, but ... that's not the issue to which the poster was referring. I do see that could be the root of the issue though.

These unverified things shouldn't be spread - although we here on the forum (and I do include myself) often are then unknowing guilty parties as well.

It's solicitation. Register your cell phone with the Do Not Call Registry.

1(888) 382-1222. Dial the number and follow the directions. Many people register their land lines but forget to register the cell phone. In 30 days if the calls don't stop you can report them.

Thank you for posting this. I didn't realize this was available.

It's solicitation. Register your cell phone with the Do Not Call Registry.

1(888) 382-1222. Dial the number and follow the directions. Many people register their land lines but forget to register the cell phone. In 30 days if the calls don't stop you can report them.

Doesn't work. I've registered our land line and all of our cell phones, but these companies don't worry about the DNC list. Just yesterday, I heard my 2nd cell buzzing, and I looked at the screen and it was a Florida number. This phone is one that I save for only some people (eventually I'll get rid of my other phone but I have a balance on it) so I know there's no way this was a legitimate call. And if it was, the person would have left a message.

We usually keep the bell off of our land line unless we're expecting a call on it. A few months ago, I was waiting for my doctor's office to call on it and in a short time, I've received several unsolicited calls. I would even say we're on the Do Not Call List and you're violating it...click. But overseas companies (like the "pharmacy" ones) don't worry about the DNC -- how is the FCC going to fine them? Other companies don't identify their company names (do you love those ones that say they're your credit card company with important info??? yea, and I've got swamp land...) or ask you to press 1 to continue the call.

Usually I'll write down the number from the cell screen and google the number just to make sure it's not a legitimate call. Rarely it is, but the other day an unknown number turned out to be my BIL (I had thought this number was in my contacts so I don't know why it isn't) and figured it out from one of those phone sites (this one listed initials and the initials were the same as my MIL's and then it dawned on me:rolleyes::o). And the BIL didn't leave a message in the meantime so I told hubby to call his brother (on the land line).

Use your caller ID. Don't answer the bogus calls. If you answer you are verified as a number that will pick up when called. That just feeds the wolves.

You can get a sound file online that is those three notes you hear when you have reached a disconnected number. Record that at the beginning of your answering machine message. The auto dialer software detects that tone and will remove your number from the list as it is assumed to be an inactive number. You can leave a normal answering machine message but just have it start with those three tones.

Use your caller ID. Don't answer the bogus calls. If you answer you are verified as a number that will pick up when called. That just feeds the wolves.

You can get a sound file online that is those three notes you hear when you have reached a disconnected number. Record that at the beginning of your answering machine message. The auto dialer software detects that tone and will remove your number from the list as it is assumed to be an inactive number. You can leave a normal answering machine message but just have it start with those three tones.

Fascinating.

That is my feeling as well. I always look at my caller ID. If it isn't a number that I am familiar with I let it ring through. If it is someone who actually wants to talk to me I figure that they will leave a message.

One issue that may be a problem with those tones is that a lot of pharmacys and doctors' offices use auto dial and computer generated messages. They do it to let you know your prescriptions are ready and to confirm doctor appointments.