Telephone Cruise Scam???

skf

We keep getting cell messages that we need to contact "them" to claim our free cruise.

It's kinda hard to win a prize when you have not entered a contest, so we keep deleting the d****d things.

Steve

We get a lot of these calls too, and we just hang up the phone right away now. When we got back from our last cruise there were so many of them recorded on the answering machine, it was ridiculous! If it sounds to be too good to be true...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's solicitation. Register your cell phone with the Do Not Call Registry.

1(888) 382-1222. Dial the number and follow the directions. Many people register their land lines but forget to register the cell phone. In 30 days if the calls don't stop you can report them.

I get them as text messages with a number to call to "claim" my free cruise. :rolleyes: I just delete them. Hopefully they won't start calling also.

I have gotten a couple of these texts also.

That's why Caller ID was invented. I never pick up a phone unless I know the number. And if legitimate, the caller will leave a message.

As for the "do not call" registry; that's a joke. And if you report them? Also a joke. Eventually some of them get tired of always getting a machine pickup and it does stop. But others start.

That's why Caller ID was invented. I never pick up a phone unless I know the number. And if legitimate, the caller will leave a message.

Exactly!

If it is legitimate and important they will leave a message.

Mike:)

And now on an iPhone you can block the texts and incoming calls - so you never see them.

In iOS 7:

Go to the phone app

Tap recents

Tap on the offending call

Scroll to the bottom if the screen

Tap on "block this caller"

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Interesting how these boiler room "contest" businesses get some of our phone numbers. We are on the DNC phone list and our numbers are unpublished. A couple of years ago, while at a Home Show, I entered a contest to win a $$$ gift certificate at one of the big box home stores. Within a week, I was seeing caller ID numbers on the home phone from a Washington area code. When I checked the number online, it was from a known telemarketer associated with people who stupidly enter contests! It took a lot of my best nastiness to stop the incoming calls.

A couple of weeks ago I was at the NE Flower Show and saw a Celebrity Cruises booth. I signed up for a free cruise.....or so I thought. DH was chatting with a representative while I was providing my contact info on an ipad. Duh, as we were leaving the booth, DH said, "You didn't did you?' Nobody at the Celebrity booth worked for the cruise line or had even been on a boat much larger than the Boston Swan boats! These "cruise" employees actually worked for a marketing firm. So, I'm watching the caller ID to see how long it takes to begin the calls anew. Note to self, no more contests.

Darcy

Edited by WatchHill

We can't afford any free cruises. Too bad, because we get 2 or 3 calls a month.

It is more convenient and less expensive to do it the old fashioned way...pay for it. Then we know exactly what we are getting and what we are paying.

We keep getting cell messages that we need to contact "them" to claim our free cruise.

It's kinda hard to win a prize when you have not entered a contest, so we keep deleting the d****d things.

Steve

Block the number, nothing if for free. :rolleyes:

As a side note, the Do Not Call list has some effect, but a lot of these calls are spoofed in over the internet from companies outside the US where it doesn't apply (or at least is not enforceable unless they can trace who paid for the calls)

As a side note, the Do Not Call list has some effect, but a lot of these calls are spoofed in over the internet from companies outside the US where it doesn't apply (or at least is not enforceable unless they can trace who paid for the calls)

It does not help, just received a call last week from a (caller ID) Mary Stewart on a Delaware #, when I did a reverse lookup its a CC scam. So they have the ability to disguise the name and number with whatever innocent looking data they prefer.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

And now on an iPhone you can block the texts and incoming calls - so you never see them.

In iOS 7:

Go to the phone app

Tap recents

Tap on the offending call

Scroll to the bottom if the screen

Tap on "block this caller"

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You left out one step. You tap on the I (for information) for the offending call and then scroll to the bottom. If you just tap on the offending call, your phone starts calling the number back.

I had recently seen a story about the "one-ring" scam. Your cell rings exactly once, you are curious, & your return call (usually to a Caribbean area code) is diverted to a costly 900#. My calls show as the Monterey, CA area code, but who knows if this is real?

"Hey! You've won the Irish Sweepstakes, only $199 to claim your prize!!!"

I had recently seen a story about the "one-ring" scam. Your cell rings exactly once, you are curious, & your return call (usually to a Caribbean area code) is diverted to a costly 900#. My calls show as the Monterey, CA area code, but who knows if this is real?

Yes!! Just pay the port tax and a small fee. :rolleyes:

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Yeah mine too! I need to go delete a few. Only holds 25.

Same with my junk email, its been full fo a long time. :rolleyes:

I wish I knew how to delete some of them.:o Cannot figure it out.

I have a Hotmail account and do a Block ALL in my JUNK everyday. Of course, it then goes to the DELETED MAIL bucket which fills up quickly. ;)

Of course, I know I may be winning a few battles, but it is a looooong war.

I have a very nice, orange-ish painted bridge I'd be very happy to sell you for your prize money. I only need a $499 down payment to secure your very own bridge for you! You can even watch the Grand Princess go under periodically...at least for a few months. :D

Be careful ..when you press 1your line can now be used for long distance calls made by the strangers .who called you .Its a scam I always hang up

And just where did you get that piece of wonderful min-information about pressing 1?

If you just read it on the Internet, please don't spread this kind of stuff. It's scaremongering, almost as bad as those who believe that ice crystal contrails behind aircraft is "geo-engineering."

Tons of these scams out there. I get the "you have won a royal caribbean cruise" phone calls. Of course it has nothing to do with Royal Caribbean Cruise line, but fly by night cruise operator that sells time shares and upgrades to your "free" cruise.

Why do I need your free cruise. That guy from Nigeria is going to send me 1.5 million and then I can cruise on any line I want.