Has anyone used Viking Air

DgBg100106

I am currently booked on a Christmas markets cruise this December.

I am trying to work with Viking to figure out my air options, and am not having much luck.

Has anyone used Viking Air before? What were your flights like? Did you pay the fee to work with them on the flights?

tells all the pitfalls of cruise air booking.

I did it ONCE and never again,like to pick my own time,dates,airlines,seats,routes,etc.

Rather spend a bit more and have complete control over all of the above.But usually find lower,or similar fares on own anyway.

BUt do what YOU feel comfortable with,just know all the facts before.;)

We used Viking Air last November and it worked out FANTASTIC. We paid a nominal extra fee and was able to choose our flights and seats. It was cheaper doing it that way for us, also. Would definitely do it that way again.

Edited by jiminyC_fan

We've used Viking Air Plus twice and we were pleased. We were able to book on our preferred carrier (American). After we'd booked with Viking, I was able to go to American directly and use miles (and some cash) for an upgrade to business class.

Even if you don't have a preferred carrier, the Air Plus service lets you work with an agent to pick a carrier, connecting cities and time tables. For instance on our last cruise the "default" route gave us an hour in Dallas to connect to our international flight. Although this is normally fine, we wanted a little cushion to allow for possible delays in our first flight. Air Plus allowed us to do this.

Our upcoming cruise is a "free air" promotion, so we were not able to use Air Plus. The connections are OK, but we don't get into Amsterdam until 1:10 p.m., so we'll miss the afternoon walking tour. If I'd had the option, I would have booked an earlier arrival.

Hope this helps,

FuelScience

We used Viking Air last December for our Christmas Markets Rhine River Getaway cruise and everything work out just fine! My thinking was IF there was a problem with weather then Viking would have to assume responsibility to get us to/from the cruise - this was before I read the horror stories of people being "abandon" by Viking!

Happily our air worked out just fine - we did pay the extra $100 for dilation + $50 to choose our own flights - and everything was great - but without the extra $$ we might still be traveling!!

My suggestion - always be involved, wnen if its a "pain"!!

you ARE being charged.I always get and receive an air credit.

All you need is one cruise air mistake,and get a little leary.

Now also tend to go with cruiselines that have FREE TRANSFER to hotel or ship,,,inc. HAHA ,know I paid for it,but when they tack on extra exorbitant charge to pick me up when I book on own,its A pain.

Would rather have it all inc.,,plus, get cash back for whole trip from TA,,so saving money.:)

We have not paid the extra fee to go with Air Plus, but I am thinking that I might just pay it and work with them on booking a flight that works with me.

I am just reading and hearing many horror stories about Viking air, and wanted to know if others were happy with their flight arrangements.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We have not paid the extra fee to go with Air Plus, but I am thinking that I might just pay it and work with them on booking a flight that works with me.

I am just reading and hearing many horror stories about Viking air, and wanted to know if others were happy with their flight arrangements.

We are leaving next week on the Viking 'Portraits of Southern France' cruise. This was a last-minute sale and included low- cost air. Like you, I was a bit anxious about not having control of my flights. However, when I rec'd my air arrangements, the flights were the same I would have chosen myself, and I was very pleased.

We are leaving next week on the Viking 'Portraits of Southern France' cruise. This was a last-minute sale and included low- cost air. Like you, I was a bit anxious about not having control of my flights. However, when I rec'd my air arrangements, the flights were the same I would have chosen myself, and I was very pleased.

This is encouraging, I am glad to hear that your flights were good.

for those of you that opted to upgrade to Air Plus, how far in advance where you able to book your flights?

We booked our 'Tulips & Windmills' cruise over a yr in advance, and booked our flights as soon as they opened, which was approx. 330 days (for Delta) prior. We fly out of Detroit, so knew we wanted the n/s to Amsterdam and back, which was a flight my husband had taken many times for business. We also wanted a late flight back the day of debarkation so that we could do some sightseeing in Amsterdam before our flight home. Viking Air was willing to give us the Delta flight over w/o an extra charge, but wanted to give us an Air France flight back, which would stop in Paris. My hubby did not want to stop in Paris, so we paid extra to get our Delta flight. So, it was $50 pp for Custom Air, and then a deviation fee for selecting our specific flts. You may or may not pay the deviation fee, depending on what flights Viking would give you, but it was worth it to us to have that Delta flight, and it ended up being less than purchasing the Delta flight thru Delta's website, and we got the transfers as well.

Hope that helps!

Becki

We booked our 'Tulips & Windmills' cruise over a yr in advance, and booked our flights as soon as they opened, which was approx. 330 days (for Delta) prior. We fly out of Detroit, so knew we wanted the n/s to Amsterdam and back, which was a flight my husband had taken many times for business. We also wanted a late flight back the day of debarkation so that we could do some sightseeing in Amsterdam before our flight home. Viking Air was willing to give us the Delta flight over w/o an extra charge, but wanted to give us an Air France flight back, which would stop in Paris. My hubby did not want to stop in Paris, so we paid extra to get our Delta flight. So, it was $50 pp for Custom Air, and then a deviation fee for selecting our specific flts. You may or may not pay the deviation fee, depending on what flights Viking would give you, but it was worth it to us to have that Delta flight, and it ended up being less than purchasing the Delta flight thru Delta's website, and we got the transfers as well.

Hope that helps!

Becki

Thanks so much for you reply! I am trying to convince my hubby to go ahead and start this...