Considering Summit to Bermuda

sylver

Hi All,

Considering booking a Summit Bermuda cruise this summer and have a couple of questions. I've done 13 cruises with Celebrity before but never to Bermuda. Always held back due to concerns over rough seas. While I know that can happen anywhere at anytime, the Bermuda run seems very exposed and the probability of rough seas seems higher. Considering late July which I assume would be smoother that very early or late season.

I'd like to book one of the new AQ1 cabins as I assume they are in good shape considering they are relatively new and to receive AQ perks (never done AQ before) but the position (high and aft) worries me given the motion concerns I already have to Bermuda. Anyone have experience in the high/aft AQ1 rooms in rough seas?

Second, considering moving up to a sky suite although the difference in size seems negligible. Do the extra perks/services make it worth booking the Sky Suite. Is the balcony large enough to enjoy breakfast on?

Thanks in advance!

We have sailed the Summit to Bermuda in mid-July and didn't have much motion. If you'd like a big balcony, I'd go for one of the full aft AQ1 cabins on deck 11. We've had 1138 and it's wonderful.

We did Summit to Bermuda the 2nd week in July a few years ago and had smooth sailing down and back, but it can go either way so bring your Bonine/Dramamine if you are motion sensitive. ( it works better if you take it in advance rather than waiting until you feel the motion sickness).

We are booked in A1 (1138) on the July 27 sailing. I had the same concerns but read favorable reviews for the cabin location and the time of year. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for all the replies. I've narrowed my summer vacation choices down to three cruises. The July 27th Bermuda sailing is the one I am considering. Between that, Silhouette Venice cruise or Holland America Canada/New England cruise (although I have never cruised with Holland America, feel very comfortable and happy with the Celebrity product and have past passenger privileges).

I love Bermuda, and have gone several times although I have always gone in Oct. I have been very lucky to have had smooth seas every time, but better to be prepared than not, if you have a good family doctor take a prescription for Compazine. Patches can react on people and make them dizzy, although many have luck with the wrist bands too.

Anyway I love Bermuda, more than going to the Caribbean islands, as it is so beautiful, but when I went they used to always dock right in the towns. This will be the first time we will go back and be using the ferry boats. I too am trying to decide on which month to book, good luck with your weather!!! Once you go there you will be hooked on the place!

We have done this cruise in May, July and August and never encountered rough seas. We are doing it again on the July 13th sailing this year in AQ1 aft 1140; we were in 1141 last year. Love the location and the larger balcony but it does get a fair amount of sun.

Thanks for all the replies. I've narrowed my summer vacation choices down to three cruises. The July 27th Bermuda sailing is the one I am considering. Between that, Silhouette Venice cruise or Holland America Canada/New England cruise (although I have never cruised with Holland America, feel very comfortable and happy with the Celebrity product and have past passenger privileges).

If you choose the July 27th sailing to Bermuda be aware that Thursday 7/31 and Friday 8/1 is Emancipation/cup day. This is a major two day holiday in Bermuda. Most shops in Hamilton will be closed. Transportation will be on a limited holiday schedule, and the locals will be packing the beaches. I made the mistake of sailing during these holidays several years ago. That is why I am sailing on the Summit 8/3.

If you choose the July 27th sailing to Bermuda be aware that Thursday 7/31 and Friday 8/1 is Emancipation/cup day. This is a major two day holiday in Bermuda. Most shops in Hamilton will be closed. Transportation will be on a limited holiday schedule, and the locals will be packing the beaches. I made the mistake of sailing during these holidays several years ago. That is why I am sailing on the Summit 8/3.

And, you should know that this sailing will feature Top Chef at Sea. Few details out yet, but there will be chef'testants on board, with Top Chef inspired events. I believe they will also be featuring their creations in the MDR one night.

Hi NYcruzzer,

Thanks so much for this information! I would have never known this and it definitely would change my plans since I can also take the July 20th sailing (which with this new information seems to be the better option).

And, you should know that this sailing will feature Top Chef at Sea. Few details out yet, but there will be chef'testants on board, with Top Chef inspired events. I believe they will also be featuring their creations in the MDR one night.

Hi travelingirl70

I had seen that, the Top Chef theme appeals to my g/f and I but given the Bermuda holidays that week as pointed out by NYcruzzer, I may do the July 20th sailing instead. I certainly appreciate all the help and input.

Hi travelingirl70

I had seen that, the Top Chef theme appeals to my g/f and I but given the Bermuda holidays that week as pointed out by NYcruzzer, I may do the July 20th sailing instead. I certainly appreciate all the help and input.

With the exception of the dockyard area almost all of Bermuda "shuts down" Thursday and Friday. Alot of the locals actaully set up tents at the popular beaches. Taxis instill a hefty holiday service charge.

I discovered the holiday after we booked and we initially were going to move to the July 20 sailing but in the end we decided to experience the Bermuda culture and even take in a cricket match. Then the Top Chef was announced so we are going to give it a whirl. Worst case scenario is we head back to the ship and relax. We will visit Bermuda in Wednesday and then play the rest of the time by ear. But it's a gamble, and I can totally understand taking a different sailing to avoid it altogether. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love Bermuda, cruised once on Zenith, and once on Summit. Heaviest seas I have ever experienced were on the way back the first time on Zenith. We had a porthole up front, and in the middle of the night, we were in big seas. Waves were breaking over our window. Think the feeling you get when you go over the top of a roller coaster hill. Weightless in bed. Not as amusing as it sounds. I turned on the TV, and instantly felt sea sick. I wanted to look outside, but couldn't physically bring myself to get out of bed. Stayed in bed until mid morning, there were lots of green looking people about.

I'd do it again in a minute.

We have done this cruise in May, July and August and never encountered rough seas. We are doing it again on the July 13th sailing this year in AQ1 aft 1140; we were in 1141 last year. Love the location and the larger balcony but it does get a fair amount of sun.

CateW, we're on the July 13th sailing too, so why haven't you signed up on the roll call? Apparently there are only 2 of us on the entire ship so far. ;)