Ruby Princess Interior 'Pullman' Bed?

gottagocit

We've booked an interior for the first time on the Ruby on a fall voyage. We've always booked at least a balcony in the past but decided to give an interior a try to save lots of $'s. We chose a forward cabin (P243) on the plaza deck to be close to the international cafe.

I'm been a little concerned about the space we'll have already and tonight I noticed the cabin is one with the 'Pullman' type 3rd and 4th sleeper option according to one site I found. I've seen photos of these upper bunks in the down position and didn't like what I saw but haven't seen photos with this types of beds folded away. Do they take any if the space in the cabin when put away?

Anyone stayed in cabin P243 on the Ruby? How was it?

Thanks,

Chris

We were in an interior 3/4 person cabin (Riviera deck) on the Ruby two years ago. There were just the two of us, with the bed in a queen configuration. Pictures attached. Hope that helps.... let me know if you have any other questions!

bunks1.jpg.dd25630601520df911a8afc234441efd.jpg

bunks2.jpg.4273886fd6476cdc067c88958fa9c7d7.jpg

bunks3.jpg.6e458016a4c1298137bd9295487c86d2.jpg

If they fold up against the walls, they take up alot of room and you have to be a contortionist to get around them and into the queen bed. :eek:

Amen to that. To avoid the "bruised shoulder syndrome", we would climb in/out from the end.

I have read that it is not so much of an issue when the bed configuration is left as twins. But with a queen bed, it was not good.

Peg

Thanks so much for the photos and personal experiences you've shared. As I said earlier this is our first interior.

I am really disappointed the Princess reservation agent didn't tell me about this cabin having this configuration when they knew we were only booking for two people and don't need the beds. Worse still I can't find any page on the Princess site showing this, or any other, cabin having this configuration!

I had to stumble on the issue elsewhere and you've confirmed the problem for us. Now the prices have gone up about $300 each and I'm guessing they'll want to charge the new rate for another cabin.

I will have to call and discuss with them to see what they'll do.

Thanks everyone.

We've booked an interior for the first time on the Ruby on a fall voyage. We've always booked at least a balcony in the past but decided to give an interior a try to save lots of $'s. We chose a forward cabin (P243) on the plaza deck to be close to the international cafe.

I'm been a little concerned about the space we'll have already and tonight I noticed the cabin is one with the 'Pullman' type 3rd and 4th sleeper option according to one site I found.

There are ten cabins in your category that do not have the extra bunks. If any of those are available, Princess can switch you into one of them at no change in your pricing.

The interior bunks are the same on the Royal. From what I've seen

And the pictures. It doesn't look like Princess put a lot of thought

Into designing the bunks. Other ships I've been on the bunks either

Went into the ceiling flush or neatly folded up onto the wall. Princess

Bunks look sloppy and hang out that is both dangerous and not very

Pleasant to look at. I would say, if you don't need more than two beds

I would not book one of those cabins.

I am really disappointed the Princess reservation agent didn't tell me about this cabin having this configuration when they knew we were only booking for two people and don't need the beds.

This is also what happened with us.... we also booked directly through Princess, and not only did the agent not mention the bunks on the wall, but he actually suggested this cabin for us (out of 4 or 5 other possible cabins)! When I tried to change the cabin, Princess "assured" me that the bunks were in the ceiling, not on the wall. Then another one told me that they WERE on the wall, but did not jut out into the room. By that time, the cruise was fully booked and they were unable to find us another cabin. So until we boarded and opened the door, we didn't know what we would find. We were disappointed, but made the best of it, and considered it a lesson learned for the future!

The deck plans used to have a little red dot on the cabins that can accommodate a 3rd and/or 4th passenger, and for most interior cabins that will mean bunks on the wall. Now it looks like you have to choose the number of passengers you want in a cabin.... if you pick "2", it will show you ALL cabins on that deck, so you'd have to pick "4" to weed out the ones with (potential) bunks.

I hope they can find you another cabin, but if not, it's still manageable!

Peg.

The deck plans used to have a little red dot on the cabins that can accommodate a 3rd and/or 4th passenger, and for most interior cabins that will mean bunks on the wall.

The Princess Cruise Atlas has the plans which have that little red dot.

This is also what happened with us.... we also booked directly through Princess, and not only did the agent not mention the bunks on the wall, but he actually suggested this cabin for us (out of 4 or 5 other possible cabins)! When I tried to change the cabin, Princess "assured" me that the bunks were in the ceiling, not on the wall. Then another one told me that they WERE on the wall, but did not jut out into the room. By that time, the cruise was fully booked and they were unable to find us another cabin. So until we boarded and opened the door, we didn't know what we would find. We were disappointed, but made the best of it, and considered it a lesson learned for the future!

The deck plans used to have a little red dot on the cabins that can accommodate a 3rd and/or 4th passenger, and for most interior cabins that will mean bunks on the wall. Now it looks like you have to choose the number of passengers you want in a cabin.... if you pick "2", it will show you ALL cabins on that deck, so you'd have to pick "4" to weed out the ones with (potential) bunks.

I hope they can find you another cabin, but if not, it's still manageable!

Peg.

Peg,

It's really pretty interesting you mentioned your experience with trying to change cabins. This afternoon we spent a good deal of time talking with two different Princess agents and BOTH assured us the bunks were not on the wall but were "out of sight" in the ceiling when not in use. One even suggested I look at the photo shown on the Princess website for the cabin and I'd see that was the case. Can you believe they continue to pitch this line to passengers.

Our next problem is now they are also telling us we'll have to pay the latest rate for any new cabin and we'll lose the OBC and 3 for 1 offer which was being offered when we booked. It's reeeeally frustrating to be getting the business from both side with these folks.

We are considering canceling the voyage and simply looking elsewhere for our next vacation. It's be a shame to walk away from crusing with Princess but I don't like being lied to about the location of the bunks and told it'll cost us several hundred dollars more each to change because the information that used to be available to booking passengers has been taking off their website, preventing one from knowing such key information about the cabin you are booking.

Really not happy with Princes right now.

This is where a good, knowledgeable TA would be able to help. There are 2 different types of bunks:

1. The type above in the pictures that fold down from the wall and are hard to get around

2. The type that come down from the ceiling. These are much preferred because they tuck neatly into the ceiling. There's no overhang at all and they don't get in your way at all when not in use. You'll hardly know they're there.

It's hard for the Princess reps to tell which kind of bed is in your cabin. A few know for sure but most reps just guess.

I truly do feel for you. One of the reps I spoke with put me on hold for quite some time, and returned to say that she had spoken directly with the engineering department, and ABSOLUTELY the beds were in the ceiling in our particular cabin (I think it was R327) and that I had nothing to worry about. As you can see from the pictures, she was ABSOLUTELY wrong! I have heard that the "in the ceiling" bunks are typically in outside cabins, while the "on the wall" variety are in insides.

I would suspect that all of the inside quads on the Plaza deck would have the same type of bunk set up, so maybe pictures of any of the inside quads on the Ruby P deck would help?

Either way, I would not go by what the Princess reps tell you. Hopefully someone who has been in your cabin will speak up!!

Peg

Our next problem is now they are also telling us we'll have to pay the latest rate for any new cabin and we'll lose the OBC and 3 for 1 offer which was being offered when we booked.

There should be no change in fare or OBC or other offers if you change to another cabin in the same category that you had picked (assuming such a cabin is available).

1. The type above in the pictures that fold down from the wall and are hard to get around

2. The type that come down from the ceiling. These are much preferred because they tuck neatly into the ceiling. There's no overhang at all and they don't get in your way at all when not in use. You'll hardly know they're there.

Exactly right. But, there are endless posts here telling us

that the beds go into the ceiling, so it is no problem.

• 3 weeks later...