Annual multi trip travel insurance help

A slightly different question re insurance - hubby and I plan to take our 2 granddaughters to Europe for about 4 weeks, including a med cruise. They will be 10 and 6 when we travel. Other times they have been covered under their own parents insurance policy when travelling but this time the parents wont be going. All the insurance policies I have read seem to me that we cannot have them as free addition to our policy as technically they are not our dependant children nor dependant grandchildren. Anyone else faced this situation? Dependant seems to be the word required to have them on hubby and my policy.

Edited by Tara Jane

Thanks! I did not realise you could do that....can i ask how that works? Given that it would be more economical for me to by a solo policy to cover myself and my DD for the first, do i just buy the policy to cover those extra days at the start of the trip...so have the start date as the date we leave australia and have a end date at the end of the addional days (even though we are still on the trip?) so that the other policy can kick in?

The other alternative is using InsureandGo which has a 45 day option :)

We have just added the extra days after the 38 days from the Annual Policy, so not sure if you can do it for the beginning of the trip. My best advice would be to give Travel Insurance Direct a call. Any time I have called them they have been very helpful. If you happen to go with them under options there is a section for campaign code if you put in TIDTHANKS you get a small discount. I can also vouch for them when making a claim as two years ago when I had an accident 3 weeks short of going to the USA for two cruises and land vacation, had no hassles making the claim.

I have also looked at InsureandGo's annual policy, but for us is way to expensive (because of our age).

A slightly different question re insurance - hubby and I plan to take our 2 granddaughters to Europe for about 4 weeks, including a med cruise. They will be 10 and 6 when we travel. Other times they have been covered under their own parents insurance policy when travelling but this time the parents wont be going. All the insurance policies I have read seem to me that we cannot have them as free addition to our policy as technically they are not our dependant children nor dependant grandchildren. Anyone else faced this situation? Dependant seems to be the word required to have them on hubby and my policy.

Yeah some time ago had that issue and had to take an additional policy

There are some that will cover all on a booking though I found in uk

Forget the company as that was four years ago

Keep hunting you may find one the same

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have just added the extra days after the 38 days from the Annual Policy, so not sure if you can do it for the beginning of the trip. My best advice would be to give Travel Insurance Direct a call. Any time I have called them they have been very helpful. If you happen to go with them under options there is a section for campaign code if you put in TIDTHANKS you get a small discount. I can also vouch for them when making a claim as two years ago when I had an accident 3 weeks short of going to the USA for two cruises and land vacation, had no hassles making the claim.

I have also looked at InsureandGo's annual policy, but for us is way to expensive (because of our age).

thanks cotton, great to hear from someone who has had to claim, and was happy with the process. :)

We also use TID. My understanding is that you can nominate the 'start date', but if something covered under your policy happens between now and then that prevents your travel, you can claim. I suggest you phone TID and clarify this point.

Sorry, haven't gone through all the comments, so if someone else has said this - but what Aus Traveller has said is both as on my reading and as explained by Travel Insurance Direct to me. We always take an annual policy (with TID) as back-up to the Credit Card insurance. Fortunately, we have never had to make a claim but this post has just made me look at our expiry date - thanks!:)

Cheers

Di

It doesn't look like I&G is an option if you require that.

The wording of their "family" policy is thus:

"This option provides cover for one person who is 18

years of age or older (the policy holder), as well as their

accompanying partner and/or accompanying

dependent children."

Note they say "accompanying."

That's why the rest of the terms don't describe what you're looking for, as the policy is more like extra benefits for other family members but still only covering the primary holder, rather than a policy covering the two adults separately.

Thanks. I called I&G today and they have advised that we can travel at different times....and be covered under the one annual policy. The issue we now have is that we must start the insurance now to get coverage from now (for cancellations and the like)...which is a bit of an issue given that our trip is not till December and it is unlikely we will travel between now and then.....so we do not need coverage until then...am thinking maybe I take the insurance out once we make the final payment...:o

Thanks. I called I&G today and they have advised that we can travel at different times....and be covered under the one annual policy. The issue we now have is that we must start the insurance now to get coverage from now (for cancellations and the like)...which is a bit of an issue given that our trip is not till December and it is unlikely we will travel between now and then.....so we do not need coverage until then...am thinking maybe I take the insurance out once we make the final payment...:o

That sounds like a reasonable plan for your needs. Enjoy:D

Kewl. Did they give you anything to support that though?

Given it doesn't appear to be consistent with their policy terms, it would mean you're relying on their assessors to also follow what the operator told you. Doesn't give you a lot to support you if you do have any problems at claims time.

Kewl. Did they give you anything to support that though?

Given it doesn't appear to be consistent with their policy terms, it would mean you're relying on their assessors to also follow what the operator told you. Doesn't give you a lot to support you if you do have any problems at claims time.

Well I did have a quick look at their FAQs after my conversation with the person and it confirmed what they said...I think it works on the basis that it is an annual policy for the family - so everyone is covered for all trips taken with the only proviso being that my DD who is under 16 must travel with either myself or my husband - she is not covered if she travels alone. :)

Well I did have a quick look at their FAQs after my conversation with the person and it confirmed what they said...I think it works on the basis that it is an annual policy for the family - so everyone is covered for all trips taken with the only proviso being that my DD who is under 16 must travel with either myself or my husband - she is not covered if she travels alone. :)

Good result for you.:D

If it's covered off in their FAQ, that's great. Even if something's not consistent, it shows you've relied on something from them if it comes down to it. But I'm sure it'll be smooth sailing (;-) )from this point on.

What is being offered as part of cruise insurance? I know insure and go annual policy covers cruises as well...even ones that sail australian territorial waters :)

i&g have an actual cruise insurance policy that we are looking at taking out. It has specifics such as refunds for pre-paid land tours that you cannot do due to changes in port itinerary, $75 p.day re-imbursement if you become unwell and confined to your cabin (noro etc) missed port / departure port compensations. You are covered from when you leave and when you return. Ie we are doing a TA from Rome to US & back to Aus. We are covered on the plane flight over, our time in Europe before the cruise and our time in the USA post cruise.

From what I can gather (spoke to them direct) a key difference is that if you are on land /day tour etc, and miss your ship, the cruise insurance covers you if it is due to "unforeseen circumstances" (flat tyre / traffic congestion / emergency on the land tour comes to mind), however the standard travel insurance will only cover the missing of the ship if there is a medical emergency. I assume that is for your self /companion, not other tour members. :) that's how I interpret it.

I asked him if they had a multi cover for cruising and he said it is something being discussed but not at this stage......

Edited by Cruise_me_Crazy

iI asked him if they had a multi cover for cruising and he said it is something being discussed but not at this stage......

They only just introduced their single trip 'cruise' policy to target that market.

Very early days so they're likely looking at what take up is to assess whether there is demand for the effort of an annual policy.

Out of interest I did some dummy quotes requests for multi cover. 3x companies.

Ranged from $450, $519 (slightly longer trip allowance) to $820. I know we keep saying it, but definitely worth shopping around ;)

For an Annual Policy, TID consistently come in best.

Cheers

Di

For an Annual Policy, TID consistently come in best.

Cheers

Di

Can I ask in what way? I found i&G better in terms of price but admittedly I am looking at them purely because they do cover more than the 37/38 days that TID allows. :) i&G seems to have also received better Cannex star rating as well...

Edited by SunnyinDubai

Out of interest I did some dummy quotes requests for multi cover. 3x companies.

Ranged from $450, $519 (slightly longer trip allowance) to $820. I know we keep saying it, but definitely worth shopping around ;)

Yes...they are variances in prices which can sometimes be reduced by having their promo codes...

can we post promo codes on here??:confused:

I ended up with the TID annual and it was by far the cheapest with best allowances for worldwide when you apply a code! TIDTHANKS gets 10% off but the random ones they send previous customers are 15-20%. Only other code I can remember off the top of my head was HOPON which was around Easter time, I will post the code next time they send me one:)