Weird Specialty Dining Question

rednose83

So to me, this would be a very inconvenient request to have your waiter get food from another resturant. If it was accomodated, that would undoubtably deserve a bigger than standard TIP.

Agreed, especially for more than one course. Bigger tip would be 2-3x the cost of the dinner itself for me.. Can't believe there's nothing on Le Bistro menu that the OP is tempted by - I am just the opposite, too many items to try, even if I dine there three times a cruise! :D

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

So here's the deal- I was raised by parents that are VERY picky eaters (and unhealthy). For example, I can't remember my Mother eating anything other than meat/french fries in the last 25 plus years.

I was always a very picky eater because of this. Like, I didn't drink water (plain) until after I was 25. In the past 5 years, I have tried (and added) many new foods to my diet such as broccoli, pineapple, cantaloupe, water (:o), many veggies, muffins, bagels, etc

I also have a shellfish allergy.

I still have a hard time with "different" meats and sauces. I'm just not ready yet to attempt things like duck and such at this moment in time.

At Cagney's, if I were going to order right now- I'd order the beef sliders, the filet- no sauce and a side (maybe broccoli unless I'm splurging and then I'd get onion rings- another new to me food).

I went to Le Bistro once before (on the Spirit), and I think I ordered this:

*FILET DE BOEUF GRILLÉ Grilled Beef Tenderloin, Portobello Mushrooms,

Roquefort Cheese Potato Gratin, Green Peppercorn Sauce

but plain- no sauce. I did not order an app.

If I went now, I'd probably attempt to order this:

ASPERGES GRILLÉES Grilled Asparagus, Shiitake Mushrooms,

Orange Hollandaise

but only eat the asparagus.

I'd be willing to attempt this meal:

*FILET DE PORC AU ROMARIN Rosemary Roasted Pork Tenderloin, Glazed Apples,

Calvados Cream

without the cream. I didn't remember that as an option.

So now since Cagney's and Le Bistro are so far away that's most likely the meal I would order.

Edited by rednose83

How about this?????????? :D

In the early evening when LeBistro is open, go and ask for the MaitreD and talk to him/her

Possibly instead of "springing" it on the LeBistro Staff, and see if they can accommodate you, if they have advance warning. We have had some unexpected food requests served.

My DH used to be a "picky eater" but now is much more adventurous but I can not get him to find anything he would like at LeBistro.

So here's the deal- I was raised by parents that are VERY picky eaters (and unhealthy). For example, I can't remember my Mother eating anything other than meat/french fries in the last 25 plus years.

I was always a very picky eater because of this. Like, I didn't drink water (plain) until after I was 25. In the past 5 years, I have tried (and added) many new foods to my diet such as broccoli, pineapple, cantaloupe, water (:o), many veggies, muffins, bagels, etc

I also have a shellfish allergy.

I still have a hard time with "different" meats and sauces. I'm just not ready yet to attempt things like duck and such at this moment in time.

At Cagney's, if I were going to order right now- I'd order the beef sliders, the filet- no sauce and a side (maybe broccoli unless I'm splurging and then I'd get onion rings- another new to me food).

I went to Le Bistro once before (on the Spirit), and I think I ordered this:

*FILET DE BOEUF GRILLÉ Grilled Beef Tenderloin, Portobello Mushrooms,

Roquefort Cheese Potato Gratin, Green Peppercorn Sauce

but plain- no sauce. I did not order an app.

If I went now, I'd probably attempt to order this:

ASPERGES GRILLÉES Grilled Asparagus, Shiitake Mushrooms,

Orange Hollandaise

but only eat the asparagus.

I'd be willing to attempt this meal:

*FILET DE PORC AU ROMARIN Rosemary Roasted Pork Tenderloin, Glazed Apples,

Calvados Cream

without the cream. I didn't remember that as an option.

So now since Cagney's and Le Bistro are so far away that's most likely the meal I would order.

With luck, you will get a meal you will enjoy.

I believe you can order the filet of beef or the pork plain. No sauce. These are made to order dishes so they can add or take away pretty much anything you want. Enjoy. And let us know

Hello RedNose, I absolutely believe you should be able to order whatever you want at any restaurant. But then the NCL staff has the right to deny your request or upcharge for "above and beyond" delivery costs as long as they inform you in advance.

If they honor your request then you decide what tip is appropriate and a nice note to someone at NCL would be appropriate; if they don't honor your request, you decide what cruise line you want to go on next trip.

Enjoy yourself. If they are unable to perform a task you ask for, let them tell you they can't, just don't assume it would be unreasonable.

Cagney's is $30 pp and LeBistro is $20.00 pp. Why should someone be able to order something off of Cagney's menu when they are paying the lower LeBistro fare. Not only is it exrtra work for the waiters but i do not even think it is fair to those paying the Cagneys cover charge. Just my two cents...

Rednose83, thanks for your thoughtful reply...yes, allergies (or simple dislike) for shellfish/fish would limit your choices. And we all know someone with an aversion to mushrooms. ;) (I used to love cruising with my SIL, I got all her mushrooms, asparagus and raspberries!) :D

I'd probably suggest asking for the asparagus app without sauce or mushrooms and the filet without sauce or mushrooms (are the potatoes ok? Maybe ask if you can substitute the "plainer" chateau potatoes offered with the lobster?) and chalk it up to having one so-so meal for the sake of your DH. (I could easily eat 4 nights at Le Bistro with no duplicates, but I'm adventurous.) What about salads? Maybe they could whip one up easily with your choices as an app?

Oh...and ask for a side of bearnaise with your filet, just to try it...that is the most heavenly sauce (next to hollandaise). Have fun!

Cagney's is $30 pp and LeBistro is $20.00 pp. Why should someone be able to order something off of Cagney's menu when they are paying the lower LeBistro fare. Not only is it exrtra work for the waiters but i do not even think it is fair to those paying the Cagneys cover charge. Just my two cents...

I think the OP has the UDP so the cover charge doesn't matter. But I still feel it is inconsiderate of a potential already overworked staff. could they do it? Probably. It could become too wide spread. If I were NCL I would state in writting that it could be accommodated with say a 24 hour notice.

Hello RedNose, I absolutely believe you should be able to order whatever you want at any restaurant. But then the NCL staff has the right to deny your request or upcharge for "above and beyond" delivery costs as long as they inform you in advance.

If they honor your request then you decide what tip is appropriate and a nice note to someone at NCL would be appropriate; if they don't honor your request, you decide what cruise line you want to go on next trip.

Enjoy yourself. If they are unable to perform a task you ask for, let them tell you they can't, just don't assume it would be unreasonable.

No, you should not be able to order "WHATEVER YOU WANT" at ANY restaurant, hence the reason for menus and different specialty restaurants. One has the right to order anything they want off of the menu for that specialty restaurant. If the OP wants to do something nice for her husband, then she should find something on their menu that she can stomach with a smile on her face, otherwise, she should be honest with her husband and tell him she just can't live with that restaurant.

Anyone who thinks it is perfectly okay to ask for and should be granted a double cheeseburger from an Italian restaurant or fried shrimp and onion rings at a French restaurant I would be happy seeing on another line. I would find it hard to stomach such arrogance while attempting to eat dinner myself.

actually the children's menu is a good idea.... and I think they have to go to the main dining room (kitchen) to get that stuff.... maybe rather than something from another specialty restaurant they'd be willing to get one of the "always available" entrees from the main dining room instead.

No, you should not be able to order "WHATEVER YOU WANT" at ANY restaurant.....
Hi RedNose, As several believe there would be great hubris in actually wanting it our way even after gracefully paying for the cruise, paying extra for UDP to have a better quality dining and service experience and even offering to pay an extra fee to be accommodated, I would suggest pursuing two ideas:

Order room service which having read on CC can be done from specialty restaurants. Just have it delivered to Le Bistro rather than your cabin.

Or what I believe may be the best course would be to write the Hotel Director for the Breakaway who I believe is Denis Prguda and ask how he might accommodate your request. Sure would be interested in what he says. As far as I know there is no written policy on this type of request but believe it must have been addressed previously by NCL.

I will contact the HD from my upcoming cruise on NCL to find out for my own self interest.

Hi RedNose, As several believe there would be great hubris in actually wanting it our way even after gracefully paying for the cruise, paying extra for UDP to have a better quality dining and service experience and even offering to pay an extra fee to be accommodated, I would suggest pursuing two ideas:

Order room service which having read on CC can be done from specialty restaurants. Just have it delivered to Le Bistro rather than your cabin.

Or what I believe may be the best course would be to write the Hotel Director for the Breakaway who I believe is Denis Prguda and ask how he might accommodate your request. Sure would be interested in what he says. As far as I know there is no written policy on this type of request but believe it must have been addressed previously by NCL.

I will contact the HD from my upcoming cruise on NCL to find out for my own self interest.

Just to make sure only correct info is spread here- actually you can NOT order room service from a specialty restaurant, UNLESS you are in a suite.

No, you should not be able to order "WHATEVER YOU WANT" at ANY restaurant, hence the reason for menus and different specialty restaurants. One has the right to order anything they want off of the menu for that specialty restaurant. If the OP wants to do something nice for her husband, then she should find something on their menu that she can stomach with a smile on her face, otherwise, she should be honest with her husband and tell him she just can't live with that restaurant.

Anyone who thinks it is perfectly okay to ask for and should be granted a double cheeseburger from an Italian restaurant or fried shrimp and onion rings at a French restaurant I would be happy seeing on another line. I would find it hard to stomach such arrogance while attempting to eat dinner myself.

Wow. I find your reaction pretty over the top and devoid of any compassion for the OP who isn't asking because she just feels like something different. She has a very real need for a substitution if you bothered to read her explanation.

Not sure what kind of places you are used to eating at but, unless it's a tasting menu, most restaurants will bend over backwards to satisfy their customers. Off the menu and customized requests are fairly typical and in no way "arrogant"! I can't understand how the OP's food aversions and special requests - or anyone else's order for that matter - could possibly affect your enjoyment of your meal unless your service was impacted.

OP, thanks for sharing your background for the question. Loved the suggestion to order sauces on the side. Seems a great way to introduce new textures and tastes.I would think NCL would work with you with advance notice without any problems at all. Try to attend your meet and greet. Most of the senior officers including the Food & Beverage Manager will attend and distribute their cards. Just call with your requests. They really do want you to have a perfect cruise!

Good luck with your taste journey and have a great cruise!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea

All of the restaurants, even the MDRs, offer a fair amount of flexibility in terms of modifying orders or providing substitutes. It never hurts to ask to have sauce served separately or to substitute one side for another you'd enjoy more. I've done this countless times, and I've never been told that it couldn't be done. I know appetizers and desserts have been requested from different specialty restaurants, and the crew have been very accommodating in my own such requests. I don't see why this is such a hardship for the waitstaff. They are there to ensure you have a fantastic dining experience that leaves you happy and satisfied, and they'll bend over backwards to make sure that it happens. Many times, you don't even have to ask! I recall one breakfast several years ago in an NCL MDR when they ran out of a certain type of yogurt. A short time later, I was offered several bowls of yogurt that they had picked up at Garden Cafe to see if I would like one of those flavors instead. I didn't say anything, they took the initiative themselves!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Wow. I find your reaction pretty over the top and devoid of any compassion for the OP who isn't asking because she just feels like something different. She has a very real need for a substitution if you bothered to read her explanation.

Not sure what kind of places you are used to eating at but, unless it's a tasting menu, most restaurants will bend over backwards to satisfy their customers. Off the menu and customized requests are fairly typical and in no way "arrogant"! I can't understand how the OP's food aversions and special requests - or anyone else's order for that matter - could possibly affect your enjoyment of your meal unless your service was impacted.

OP, thanks for sharing your background for the question. Loved the suggestion to order sauces on the side. Seems a great way to introduce new textures and tastes.I would think NCL would work with you with advance notice without any problems at all. Try to attend your meet and greet. Most of the senior officers including the Food & Beverage Manager will attend and distribute their cards. Just call with your requests. They really do want you to have a perfect cruise!

Good luck with your taste journey and have a great cruise!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Actually, I provided useful information in post #16 that was completely overlooked. She could order the the steak for two from the +$10 menu for no extra charge. Being that it's carved table side, she can simply ask for no sauce and be assured of not getting any.

As for an over the top reaction, that is not directed towards the OP specifically but posters in general with such comments as "gracefully paid for my cruise". Really??? Does anyone think NCL should be honored to have the guest in their presence? The way some of these posters sound, they should be sailing SilverSea or first class on the Titanic! In my book, that is arrogance. May not be to you, but it is to me.

As for bending over backwards, yes, most restaurants will as long as you are working with their menu. In my town, we have a Red Lobster/Olive Garden in the same building (shared kitchen) and you cannot order from another's menu. Seriously, go to something as lowly as a Wendy's and ask for a Big Mac and you will be told where the nearest McDonalds is. Go to a Ruth Chris Steakhouse and ask for a Big Mac, you will be told the same thing. Restaurants will work with customers who stay within their menu but no restaurant will go to another restaurant to bring a meal back to you.

Actually, I provided useful information in post #16 that was completely overlooked. She could order the the steak for two from the +$10 menu for no extra charge. Being that it's carved table side, she can simply ask for no sauce and be assured of not getting any.

As for an over the top reaction, that is not directed towards the OP specifically but posters in general with such comments as "gracefully paid for my cruise". Really??? Does anyone think NCL should be honored to have the guest in their presence? The way some of these posters sound, they should be sailing SilverSea or first class on the Titanic! In my book, that is arrogance. May not be to you, but it is to me.

As for bending over backwards, yes, most restaurants will as long as you are working with their menu. In my town, we have a Red Lobster/Olive Garden in the same building (shared kitchen) and you cannot order from another's menu. Seriously, go to something as lowly as a Wendy's and ask for a Big Mac and you will be told where the nearest McDonalds is. Go to a Ruth Chris Steakhouse and ask for a Big Mac, you will be told the same thing. Restaurants will work with customers who stay within their menu but no restaurant will go to another restaurant to bring a meal back to you.

like-symbol.jpg

Posters vitriol is such a negative. I thought helping the OP was the purpose. There have been many great ideas and suggestions given, even those woven into the "snarky" op-ed replies.

So hopefully this will help the OP even though it took a circuitous route to get there (in my opinion).

And I do apologize for my room service miscue that specialty restaurant room service is available to suite guests only and I do appreciate being corrected as I do not want to provide inaccurate factual information.