Internet question on Celebrity.

Texas Realtor

I know it is slow and spotty at best on some cruises. I have not sailed with celebrity as of yet and want to know a couple of things.

Has anyone tried uploading a large file 7-10 MB successfully? Last time I cruised to the Southern islands I had to take my laptop to the beach to upload a file.

This one is the most important one. Has anyone tried using GoToMyPC.com? I have used it before, but was too afraid to leave my work at home. I am a real estate appraiser and the files are typically very large. Sometimes a change is made to the contract and they need it changed to the file. I was wondering if anyone had been able to use the GoToMyPC program to access the file and upload a file via the internet at the office. Sounds like it will work, but not sure if the speed of the internet is compatible with GoToMyPC or not. If there is another program out there that works, please let me know. I would be more than happy to use whatever works.

Thanks in advance.

We will be on the Summit in less than a month, just trying to prepare myself for the inevitable.

PS I am the only one allowed to make changes to the file and send it, so nobody can help me from afar.

Hi Texas Realtor,

I have been able to upload large files - but it's very slow & expensive. If that's not a major concern, then uploading should be ok.

I have not used Gotomypc.com, but I use several other complex programs for my business. They all work - but again, very slow, and annoying. The good news ? With a great deal of patience, I can get things accomplished.

Have a great time on Summit. Hope this is helpful !

I haven't specifically tried that; but I know that I can't use the VPN my son set up. I think gotomypc may be blocked for similiar reasons as they block Skype and many other apps.

I will be on the Eclipse April 5th. I can try to find out definitively about gotomypc and look for this post to reply then.

I was disappointed in Oct 2014 on 15 night cruise to Hawaii. I needed to be in touch with home almost on a daily basis and didn't want to spend $$ for phone calls when at sea.I have elderly parents and was going to check with our children every night to see how they were doing (it is tough being an only child) Could never send/receive e-mail on our Verizon account, even with assistance of Centuries onboard tech person. Now I know to have several email accounts with different providers.

Have a wonderful trip!

I was on a cruise on Celebrity when I received an offer on my house. The time it took to download everything was insane, so I stopped the download after just three pages had taken so freaking long, and had everything faxed to the ship. When I had signed everything, I had guest services fax it all back. It was quicker, and cheaper, to handle everything via fax.

I was on a cruise on Celebrity when I received an offer on my house. The time it took to download everything was insane, so I stopped the download after just three pages had taken so freaking long, and had everything faxed to the ship. When I had signed everything, I had guest services fax it all back. It was quicker, and cheaper, to handle everything via fax.

Have to agree. Especially with Real Estate documents blossoming from a couple pages for a full contract to sometimes 15+. For complicated documents, use fax....won't be cheap but you will retain more hair.

If you plan to do any large downloads/uploads through the ship's wifi, be sure that your software can handle interrupted connections and then re-start the download where it left off when reconnected. My experience is that the system can have frequent short disconnects, particularly when at sea.

I haven't specifically tried that; but I know that I can't use the VPN my son set up. I think gotomypc may be blocked for similiar reasons as they block Skype and many other apps.

I will be on the Eclipse April 5th. I can try to find out definitively about gotomypc and look for this post to reply then.

That would be awesome. Thank you very much. I just read that Oasis and Allure are going to get high speed internet in August.

I would love to be able to work on a cruise. I would be able to cruise a lot more.

Host Andy. I appreciate your response. The only problem with the time it takes is that many of my clients websites time out before the file gets completed.

If GoToMyPC works, I can use the internet at home to send the file. All I would have to do is get my screen to work on the ship.

Kitty9 - did they charge you to use the fax? I'm curious because I might be in a similar situation. Also - were you in the US when this occurred, or were you overseas/international?

Kitty9 - did they charge you to use the fax? I'm curious because I might be in a similar situation. Also - were you in the US when this occurred, or were you overseas/international?

They charged me $5, so no big deal. Far less than trying to download the 17 pages on the computer. We were in South America at the time.

Edited by kitty9

I have successfully used GoToMyPC on most cruise ships. In fact, I use that because my company VPN is usually blocked. I have worked from the ship on occasion and just charge my company back for the internet usage - which they are happy to pay if I get them through a sticky situation!

I know it is slow and spotty at best on some cruises. I have not sailed with celebrity as of yet and want to know a couple of things.

Has anyone tried uploading a large file 7-10 MB successfully? Last time I cruised to the Southern islands I had to take my laptop to the beach to upload a file.

This one is the most important one. Has anyone tried using GoToMyPC.com? I have used it before, but was too afraid to leave my work at home. I am a real estate appraiser and the files are typically very large. Sometimes a change is made to the contract and they need it changed to the file. I was wondering if anyone had been able to use the GoToMyPC program to access the file and upload a file via the internet at the office. Sounds like it will work, but not sure if the speed of the internet is compatible with GoToMyPC or not. If there is another program out there that works, please let me know. I would be more than happy to use whatever works.

Thanks in advance.

We will be on the Summit in less than a month, just trying to prepare myself for the inevitable.

PS I am the only one allowed to make changes to the file and send it, so nobody can help me from afar.

Just checking email via web interfaces can be painfully slow. There are signs in the internet lounge telling you that most services like Skype do not work. I think with the amount of data needed to pass through GoToMyPC that you would be dissatisfied and frustrated even if you can get a connection. I wouldn't count on it and at $0.75 per minute (yes there are discount packages available) I wouldn't have a lot of patience either.