Regent vs Seabourn Decision

Sunprince

I was looking at a 10 day Med cruise this summer (June 29 Mariner), and was considering using my FCC. In doing some research I found a 10 day Seaborun Med cruise (slightly different itinerary and a couple of weeks later). The Seabourn cruise is substantially less expensive (CAN$ 4000pp for entry level balcony vs CAN$ 10,400 for Regent). Considering Seabourn doesn't include flights/excursions I am thinkingSeabourn is still FAR better value. Air inclusion is not a big deal since I can use my airline points anyway. And I don't really care for included excursions that Regent offers.

So my question is...would I be crazy to book with Regent? The $ seems to point to that conclusion. Would be interested in hearing everone's thoughts on Regent vs Seabourn difference (and is Regent worth the premium?)

Many thanks

In my opinion the Regent cruise you are looking at is overpriced - and the fact that the ship remains almost wide open at this date indicates I'm not the only one who thinks so. If you don't need air, or the discounted business class airfare and your TA doesn't offer a substantial rebate then Seabourn may be a better deal.

-

As far as the cruising experience goes, they are both mostly all inclusive and Seabourn's ships are smaller. Cruises like this on either Seabourn, Silversea or Regent are really based on the itinerary and how much or whether you use the air and/or excursions. If you are an otherwise independent traveler and the Seabourn itinerary appeals, then give it a shot (that may be heresy on the Regent board, but many of us have sailed with all three). Jeff

I don't know which Seabourn cruise your are looking at, and did not take the time to look at their website to see what Med cruises are in July, but I would suggest that you look at what is being called a balcony on the Seabourn ship you are considering. Some are the French balconies, which as you know are not really balconies. We chose Regent for our fall cruise, since the only Seabourn itinerary that was doable at the time period we needed had a ship with those danged tiny balconies that are not really balconies. And the Silversea itinerary for the time period we neede was not one we wanted in the least.

Just a thought. And our last Seabourn cruise had pretty miserable excursions, but that is neither here not there.

Edited by cotto22

I do not think there are any "French balconies" on Seabourn. The cabins are comparable. Included excursions are up to you...perhaps better to choose your own private excursions.

I think that cotto22 is referring to the "small" ships -- the ones that have been sold to Windstar. I believe that two of these ships will remain with Seabourn until sometime next year -- they have the French balconies.

We are considering Seabourn too but are reluctant because smoking is still permitted on balconies and we feel that the benefit of a balcony would be lost if a smoker were in the next suite. In fact, the wider ban on smoking within the ships Seabourn recently introduced would seem to make smoking on balconies more likely IMO. :(

The cruise that we were considering was on the Legend, and yes, they have mini or French Balconies. As I prefaced my reply to the OP, I did not research to try to determine which cruise he/she was referring to. I do know that the Legend does NOT have true balconies, but in face charges for balcony rooms.

Close friends were on the Pride last year after sailing Regent. They had a good time in spite of Seaborne rather than because of it. My friend's comment was that you had to know the "secret handshake" to take advantage of the amenities on the cruise (like fresh berries behind the counter rather than on the line). Seaborne veterans know this stuff but newbies are left out to dry. They frequently felt like outsiders as many passengers had many Seaborne cruises under their belts and were dismissive of other cruise lines and those who sailed them. They finally met another couple who were Seaborne virgins (with the same subjective experience) and hung out with them.

One evening at a table for four, my friend wanted plain pasta, olive oil, and cheese. The waiter said it couldn't be done. She opted not to eat. The others were served and as they finished their meals, her pasta miraculously arrived. I don't think that would happen on Regent.

They did excursions on their own....prices were exorbitant.

For every story like the ones in the previous post one can find like stores about every cruise line. No line is perfect.

Wripro, I was conveying the experience of close friends who have sailed both lines. I'm not sure why you felt compelled to discount their experience (and my post). If I was comparing cruise lines I would look for an aggregate of experiences to draw my own conclusions. I hope the post was helpful to the original poster.

We looked at Regent vs Seabourn for a Norwegian fjords cruise in July. Both were very similar length and itinerary but there was a significant difference in price so we chose Seabourn, excursion and smoking issues notwithstanding. It will be our first experience with Seabourn (we are Regent regulars) so it will be interesting to do a first hand comparison.

No cruise experience is perfect; one persons perfect cruise is another's cruise from hell and I like to think we pitch our expectations at a realistic level (unlike some!) so we are keeping an open mind and are looking forward to what looks like a terrific experience. If it isn't you can be sure I'll let you know!

Sunprince, if you are looking at value, I suggest that you take the cost of Regent without air and all else being inclusive and Seabourn as inclusive without the shore excursions. Both cruise lines list the excursions, costs, and, on Regent if there is a supplementary cost. I would also suggest, if that is an option you would consider, the cost of taking the excursions on your own or with others from your roll call.

I have sailed on Regent (all of the ships), and Seabourn (the Odyssey and the Pride). I think that it is important for you to decide the experience that you want onboard as well as the experience that you want in the ports.

forgap, I am not discounting any other passengers' experience on either line. I can tell you that we have booked cruises through Seabourn that do not include air , and paid for their private excursions. It was a much better financial deal than Regent.

Our experience onboard Seabourn was fabulous. Every request was met with a "can do" attitude.

Each cruise on each line will be different depending upon all of the variables that can happen while you are on a cruise. Decide what matters most to you.

forgap, your friends, obviously, chose Regent as a better fit. Probably, some other people on the same Seabourn cruise thought it was the best cruise ever. That does not make either position incorrect.

To the OP, opinions from all of us are merely feedback according to what we like/dislike on each cruise line. I could give you many names of people who love Regent and their experiences onboard. I could give you many names of people who love Seabourn and their experiences onboard. I could also do the same thing for Crystal, Celebrity, etc. Take a look at what matters most to you; use a fabulous cruise agent who can help you wade through advertising and reality; and, choose the cruise that best fits what you want.

Enjoy whatever cruise you take.

Sunprince,

mariners said it very well. Both lines offer a first class experience. We have cruised on both the larger (450 passenger) and the small (200 [passenger) Seabourn ships and the 700 passenger Regent Mariner. The level of service, food and drink quality are about the same on both lines. But there can be off days on any cruise.

We happen to like Seabourn better because we like to do our own excursions...not the big bus tours that Regent includes in their pricing. Plus like you, we usually have FFlyer pts to use. So that makes Seabourn's pricing really attractive.

We find that for the ~$100+pp that is included in Regent pricing for the included tour feature, we can do a private car/driver tour for the day and see and do what we want. If you like doing group tours or having someone else do the planning then Regent might be a better fit. We did do the Regent tours at almost every port on our long cruise and most were good, a couple were excellent and a couple. we wished we had stayed on the ship.

Our favorite ships are the new Seabourn ships, perfect size for us and we love the layout of the regular suits and the ship public rooms. Smoking has not been a problem for us. If you have the chance though, Seabourn's little girls are special and worth a cruise before they are gone. Our first Seabourn cruise was on the Pride and we were treated royally.

Both MDRs will prepare a special meal if you ask in advance. I never had any problems getting simple pastas or a plain version of something on the nights menu ordering that night, though on either line, starting with our first cruise on that line.

As far as the mix/demeanor of the passengers, that can be a toss up. On most all our cruises we have enjoyed the whole experience.

Our first cruise with Regent was the first segment of their circle South America cruise (4 segments for 72 days total) several years ago. The first segment was fabulous....the passenger mix was great and loads of fun. The next segment was an older group ( we are no spring chickens) and things were a bit slower but everyone mixed well. The third segment had us wondering if we were still on the same ship! The last segment was a much better mix and almost as much fun as the first. But we did learn that the included excursions were not for us.

Decide what is important to you on your cruise and go with the line that meets you criteria. Both cruises will be good.

Sunprince,

Our first cruise with Regent was the first segment of their circle South America cruise (4 segments for 72 days total) several years ago. The first segment was fabulous....the passenger mix was great and loads of fun. The next segment was an older group ( we are no spring chickens) and things were a bit slower but everyone mixed well. The third segment had us wondering if we were still on the same ship! The last segment was a much better mix and almost as much fun as the first. But we did learn that the included excursions were not for us.

We did this cruise in 2013 and guess what? We found the same thing with the four legs. Some of the crew were besides themselves on the third leg trying to maintain decorum: passengers literally pushing people out of the way to grab a table, jostling for positions on excursions and generally anti-social behaviour. We tried to be extra nice to them to compensate. It was never enough to complain about, just enough to disrupt the atmosphere. I don't know whether this would happen on all cruise lines between BA and Rio, but it seems more than coincidental that this happened twice two years apart. Regent seems to have altered the South American program for 2015 in that it no longer seems to visit the Amazon.

We did this cruise in 2013 and guess what? We found the same thing with the four legs. Some of the crew were besides themselves on the third leg trying to maintain decorum: passengers literally pushing people out of the way to grab a table, jostling for positions on excursions and generally anti-social behaviour. We tried to be extra nice to them to compensate. It was never enough to complain about, just enough to disrupt the atmosphere. I don't know whether this would happen on all cruise lines between BA and Rio, but it seems more than coincidental that this happened twice two years apart. Regent seems to have altered the South American program for 2015 in that it no longer seems to visit the Amazon.

Our third leg was Buenos Aries to Rio also and your group sounds like ours. There were some really rude people on that segment. That is interesting! Sorry to hear that they are cutting the Amazon, that and Antarctica was the reason we did the cruise. We thought the Amazon was wonderful...so very different.

We have done B2Bs on Seabourn and a couple of other lines and found the two segments sometimes very different. Some groups combine better than others I guess.

Edited by cwn

forgap,

I was not discounting your friends' experience or your post in the least. All I was saying is that those kinds of experiences occur on every cruise line and I didn't want anyone to get the impression that those experiences are consistent.

Hmmmm...consistent or persistent. How would one know? One bad experience in the end negates the cruise and the cruise line. We are fortunate to have two great Regent cruises under our belts and looking forward to the third in the next week. Perhaps we are lucky!

We all have our own particular "deal breakers" on a cruise so I don't think it's fair or even possible to make comparisons. The very best cruise, and the very worst we have ever taken were both with Regent. Looking back I think it was mostly sheer good/bad luck and not really specific to that particular cruise line at all.

Sunprince, if you are looking at value, I suggest that you take the cost of Regent without air and all else being inclusive and Seabourn as inclusive without the shore excursions. Both cruise lines list the excursions, costs, and, on Regent if there is a supplementary cost. I would also suggest, if that is an option you would consider, the cost of taking the excursions on your own or with others from your roll call.

I have sailed on Regent (all of the ships), and Seabourn (the Odyssey and the Pride). I think that it is important for you to decide the experience that you want onboard as well as the experience that you want in the ports.

forgap, I am not discounting any other passengers' experience on either line. I can tell you that we have booked cruises through Seabourn that do not include air , and paid for their private excursions. It was a much better financial deal than Regent.

Our experience onboard Seabourn was fabulous. Every request was met with a "can do" attitude.

Each cruise on each line will be different depending upon all of the variables that can happen while you are on a cruise. Decide what matters most to you.

forgap, your friends, obviously, chose Regent as a better fit. Probably, some other people on the same Seabourn cruise thought it was the best cruise ever. That does not make either position incorrect.

To the OP, opinions from all of us are merely feedback according to what we like/dislike on each cruise line. I could give you many names of people who love Regent and their experiences onboard. I could give you many names of people who love Seabourn and their experiences onboard. I could also do the same thing for Crystal, Celebrity, etc. Take a look at what matters most to you; use a fabulous cruise agent who can help you wade through advertising and reality; and, choose the cruise that best fits what you want.

I could just not agree more with any other post I have read on this thread. Have not cruised Seabourn, but would not hesitate to do so, as I'm sure it will be every bit as enjoyable as Regent, and Silversea, which I've also cruised.

C'mon now, you're just trying to be sane and sensable....well said post.:)