Walk-in snorkeling in Cozumel?

erinmarie424

Looking for a good place to do some walk-in snorkeling in Cozumel. We've been to Money Bar so would like to try someplace new. Doesn't have to be fancy, but would prefer to find a place that rents the equipment. Two adults, arriving at the end of April. Thanks!

Chankannaab was fabulous but expensive. I preferred Money Bar.

Heard great things about Playa Corona from my scuba buddies.

I have a timeshare in Coz and go snorkeling all over. Margaritaville is not a good snorkel spot, great for lunch or dinner, but no real snorkeling to speak of. Money Bar is ok, and Chankannaab is kind of expensive but pretty nice. Playa Corona is probably the best of the bunch. There are lots of places off the beaten path that are really very good, but I don't have detailed info on how to get there. The best advise I can give is to look for what is called iron shore (rocky beaches) and get in and see what is there. If the shore is rocky, the water just off of it usually is and that is where the fish and corals are.

Actually, about a half mile north (back toward town) of the Money Bar there is a little pull out that has some pretty nice snorkeling. The pull our looks a little sketchy, but the water is nice.

We love Chankanaab. It's similar to Money Bar (in the way that you go down steps to get into the snorkeling area), but it's at a National Park and it is beautiful and huge there.

I have 2 reviews in my signature line that shows everything there and has tons of pictures (especially the 2nd review). :)

Playa Palancar, if you can swim out a little ways near the buoys, there are some sunken barrels and things that have lots of species of fish around them, one member of our party saw a stingray and several people were finding starfish. Also a great beach to hangout at, no cover charge, food and drinks are excellent and decent priced, and service is great. Love this place!

Playa Palancar, if you can swim out a little ways near the buoys, there are some sunken barrels and things that have lots of species of fish around them, one member of our party saw a stingray and several people were finding starfish. Also a great beach to hangout at, no cover charge, food and drinks are excellent and decent priced, and service is great. Love this place!

Can you please elaborate about how far out this is? How deep is it at the buoys? Is there any snorkeling right there around the beach area not too deep? Any pictures?

Can you please elaborate about how far out this is? How deep is it at the buoys? Is there any snorkeling right there around the beach area not too deep? Any pictures?

I would guess it is maybe 25-50 yards out to where the snorkeling is good. The day we were there the water was very calm and it was an easy swim. The water is pretty shallow the whole way, I could easily dive down and touch the bottom, maybe 10-15 ft at the most. The water near the shore is not as clear so to see.

I am having trouble getting the pictures to post but I'll keep trying.

Edited by jaasb0808

I enjoyed Chankannaab. It was not a long taxi ride from the port. Lots to see in the water but we were the only ship in the port that day so the place was deserted. I thought that was great but my father who is not that strong a swimmer thought the water was too rough. There were no lifeguards so I had to help another lady get back to shore. (Not that she would have gone anywhere...there was a rope that she could have followed back.)