MDR attire....

uilleann

The question I asked regarding weddings and funerals (please read it again) was an "aside" question after my original comment. I did not mean to upset anyone's apple cart , it was just a question posed to those who refuse to dress up at all/any time(s). I am certainly intelligent enough to realize that weddings and funerals have nothing to do with cruises (unless you are being married on a ship).

Believe me, I am sorry I brought it up. Please forgive me!

This is probably why I rarely comment on this forum anymore......

I like reading your posts. Please don't let a few people turn you off. I simply don't understand why its so terrible to dress up once in a while. If that was the worst thing I had to endure in my life I'd be over the moon.

The question I asked regarding weddings and funerals (please read it again) was an "aside" question after my original comment. I did not mean to upset anyone's apple cart , it was just a question posed to those who refuse to dress up at all/any time(s). I am certainly intelligent enough to realize that weddings and funerals have nothing to do with cruises (unless you are being married on a ship).

Believe me, I am sorry I brought it up. Please forgive me!

This is probably why I rarely comment on this forum anymore......

Who exactly became irritated or had their apple cart upset????? You asked a question and a few people including myself answered you very politely and matter of fact.

Whats with the martyr act ......."I"m Sorry" ...."Please forgive me" just because you didn't care for the answers you received or didn't get enough "likes" "This" and "agrees"

Who exactly became irritated or had their apple cart upset????? You asked a question and a few people including myself answered you very politely and matter of fact.

Whats with the martyr act ......."I"m Sorry" ...."Please forgive me" just because you didn't care for the answers you received or didn't get enough "likes" "This" and "agrees"

I wasn't saying anything in reference to your personal post(s). If you read back, it seems some folks got their feathers a little ruffled because they didn't feel weddings and funerals (and the dressing up for them) had anything to do with cruising. And they don't. It was a secondary question in my original post. I am not trying to be a martyr. Just apologizing if my comments were viewed as off topic or not relevant to the thread........hope you can accept that.

[quote name='Irish Eyes Are Sailing']I wasn't saying anything in reference to your personal post(s). If you read back, it seems some folks got their feathers a little ruffled because they didn't feel weddings and funerals (and the dressing up for them) had anything to do with cruising. And they don't. It was a secondary question in my original post. I am not trying to be a martyr. Just apologizing if my comments were viewed as off topic or not relevant to the thread........hope you can accept that.[/QUOTE]

I saw those posts also , again didn't think they were written out of irritation.

I understand you wanting to apologize , just didn't understand why you saw the need.

I think the essence of what many people feel is that there is certainly a time and place that calls for the conformity and discomfort of formal dress if, for nothing else, out of respect for those they know and the weight of the commemoration. And as time marches on less and less people are feeling like that a vacation they paid for meets the standards required for formality and discomfort.

The traditions of formality have long since been dead. People do not board cruise ships because they need to go somewhere; they are roundy round trips taken for pleasure, not because a family is moving to a land with new opportunities. There is no class system on board anymore either. Formal dress separated the upper crust from the poor. Now whether you have a $15K suite or a $500 inside room, once you are sitting in the MDR or on a pool lounger you are all the same. It is very egalitarian of a setting.

So, if you enjoy it, do it. If you don't enjoy it, don't. But no paying guest has a right to shun another paying guest, tell them to eat elsewhere, or attempt to make them feel inferior over how they dress. But please, let's all stop pretending that formal night exists for anything more than a photo opportunity. If cruise lines discovered that there was pent up demand for people to purchase photos in Hawaiian shirts you'd have more Hawaiian shirt nights.

[quote name='LMaxwell']I think the essence of what many people feel is that there is certainly a time and place that calls for the conformity and discomfort of formal dress if, for nothing else, out of respect for those they know and the weight of the commemoration. And as time marches on less and less people are feeling like that a vacation they paid for meets the standards required for formality and discomfort.

[B]The traditions of formality have long since been dead. [/B]People do not board cruise ships because they need to go somewhere; they are roundy round trips taken for pleasure, not because a family is moving to a land with new opportunities. There is no class system on board anymore either. Formal dress separated the upper crust from the poor. Now whether you have a $15K suite or a $500 inside room, once you are sitting in the MDR or on a pool lounger you are all the same. It is very egalitarian of a setting.

So, if you enjoy it, do it. If you don't enjoy it, don't. [B]But no paying guest has a right to shun another paying guest, tell them to eat elsewhere, or attempt to make them feel inferior over how they dress.[/B] But please, let's all stop pretending that formal night exists for anything more than a photo opportunity. If cruise lines discovered that there was pent up demand for people to purchase photos in Hawaiian shirts you'd have more Hawaiian shirt nights.[/QUOTE]

VERY well said!

When I turned 50 I decided that I would be in control of what I did or did not do. If I think I'm dressed appropriately for whatever comes along, then I am. If someone else thinks differently, then boo hoo! I've made a lot of changes, and most of them for the better - a few bumps, but basically I'm good to go.

Why don't we let other adults make their own choices? I love people watching and do notice people who go to a higher level than me in their attire, but I also notice those really cute outfits that seem just right for the occasion.

[quote name='Jean1946']When I turned 50 I decided that I would be in control of what I did or did not do. If I think I'm dressed appropriately for whatever comes along, then I am. If someone else thinks differently, then boo hoo! I've made a lot of changes, and most of them for the better - a few bumps, but basically I'm good to go.

Why don't we let other adults make their own choices? I love people watching and do notice people who go to a higher level than me in their attire, but I also notice those really cute outfits that seem just right for the occasion.[/QUOTE]

Good for you.....*LOL*

Heck I took on that attitude wayyyyyy before I turned 50

I learned that most of the people that judged me , were more screwed up than I was in another area. So why let them have any power over me.

[quote name='LMaxwell']I think the essence of what many people feel is that there is certainly a time and place that calls for the conformity and discomfort of formal dress if, for nothing else, out of respect for those they know and the weight of the commemoration. And as time marches on less and less people are feeling like that a vacation they paid for meets the standards required for formality and discomfort.

The traditions of formality have long since been dead. People do not board cruise ships because they need to go somewhere; they are roundy round trips taken for pleasure, not because a family is moving to a land with new opportunities. There is no class system on board anymore either. Formal dress separated the upper crust from the poor. Now whether you have a $15K suite or a $500 inside room, once you are sitting in the MDR or on a pool lounger you are all the same. It is very egalitarian of a setting.

So, if you enjoy it, do it. If you don't enjoy it, don't. But no paying guest has a right to shun another paying guest, tell them to eat elsewhere, or attempt to make them feel inferior over how they dress. But please, let's all stop pretending that formal night exists for anything more than a photo opportunity. If cruise lines discovered that there was pent up demand for people to purchase photos in Hawaiian shirts you'd have more Hawaiian shirt nights.[/quote]
The cruise line is telling people where they can and can't eat (when they choose to enforce the dress code). People can wear their pajamas if they feel that is appropriate but they should also realize that may not be acceptable to gain entrance to where they would like to dine.

[quote name='cruz chic']The cruise line is telling people where they can and can't eat (when they choose to enforce the dress code). People can wear their pajamas if they feel that is appropriate but they should also realize that may not be acceptable to gain entrance to where they would like to dine.[/quote]

The cruise lines set guidelines, mostly I believe, so that there is a uniform understanding amongst people hailing from many different backgrounds and nationalities. HAL tends to be more rigid in their guidelines and less tolerant of casual dress on formal evenings, but the fact remains that many mass market cruiselines make suggestions as an FYI, not as a hard and fast dress code.

It is in fact mainly on cruise critic that you will see others try to make it seem like it is a hard and fast rule that those that do not go full formal are required to dine elsewhere when that is not the truth. Ones opinion may reflect ones personal values, but whenever someone on CC, usually a newbie to cruising or a particular cruise line, asks about if they HAVE to dress formal they are told to go elsewhere. And it is NOT the cruiseline telling them. Please, let's separate fact from opinion for the benefit of all who seek answers.

I agree, if you dress in pajamas you won't be given entrance. The cruiseline establishes what the minimum requirements for entrance are. They do not establish a maximum or average conformity. If that is slacks and a collared shirt, so be it. Let the cruiseline dictate if someone is above or below that mark and permit access or turn them away. It is not the job of other guests to police how people dress and I am always repulsed by those individuals, or keyboard cowboys, who think they have the air of superiority to tell others to go elsewhere.

I really don't get every dress code posts.
Presumably most people can read the brochures. They give guide lines with dress codes for every restaurant and lounges.
So why oh why don't people just adhere to them. It's simple.
Or is it the general trend of society that says sod what's advised I will do what I want.
Similar to the guy who stands up in front of us at every football match, when asked to sit down just says i'll do what I want I paid my ticket......
Ok we are UK Cruisers and only cruised with HAL once.
We usually cruise with P and O and the very UK orientated Fred Olsen line. I can tell you all, the Fred Olsen line dress code is around 99% adhered to. I am sure not everybody is comfortable in tux etc but they accept that when they book that is what is expected.
I promise myself every dress code post that I will not post , but I always do. :-)
I couldn't give a monkeys what my fellow table mates wear by the way.
No that's not quite true, should say within reason.....
Happy cruising......

I agree with several posters including 1160451. I honestly don't care what you wear to dinner, within reason. What I don't get is why people book a cruise with a cruise line that is very clear about their policies, including dress code, wine allowances, and the like, and then immediately post about how they want to, intend to, and need advice on how to, circumvent those policies. If you don't like what the cruise line has to offer, go somewhere else; there are tons of options out there to fit everyone.

If this is the only line that offers the itinerary you want, or if someone else "forced" you to cruise on a line you are at odds with, grow up, put on your big girl/big boy panties, and follow the rules for a couple of weeks, max. You don't want to dress according to the line's guidelines? Eat in the Lido on formal night.

I realize it's your vacation, that you paid for, but that doesn't mean you get to alter the cruise line's way of doing things to suit you. We bring formal(enough) wear but if we don't feel like putting it on when formal night follows a very busy day, we make other dinner arrangements. We don't insist that the line change the rules for us. We don't dress according to what other passengers expect of us, but according to the rules/suggestions/guidelines that were clearly spelled out and available before we put our dollars on the line.

[quote name='1160451']I really don't get every dress code posts.
Presumably most people can read the brochures. They give guide lines with dress codes for every restaurant and lounges.
So why oh why don't people just adhere to them. It's simple.
Or is it the general trend of society that says sod what's advised I will do what I want.
Similar to the guy who stands up in front of us at every football match, when asked to sit down just says i'll do what I want I paid my ticket......
Ok we are UK Cruisers and only cruised with HAL once.
We usually cruise with P and O and the very UK orientated Fred Olsen line. I can tell you all, the Fred Olsen line dress code is around 99% adhered to. I am sure not everybody is comfortable in tux etc but they accept that when they book that is what is expected.
I promise myself every dress code post that I will not post , but I always do. :-)
I couldn't give a monkeys what my fellow table mates wear by the way.
No that's not quite true, should say within reason.....
Happy cruising......[/quote]

I so agree with this. What the heck is wrong with people, they know what is expected. If you don't like it, go book an all-inclusive resort instead, or go camping.

[quote name='magandab']I agree with several posters including 1160451. I honestly don't care what you wear to dinner, within reason. What I don't get is why people book a cruise with a cruise line that is very clear about their policies, including dress code, wine allowances, and the like, and then immediately post about how they want to, intend to, and need advice on how to, circumvent those policies. If you don't like what the cruise line has to offer, go somewhere else; there are tons of options out there to fit everyone.

If this is the only line that offers the itinerary you want, or if someone else "forced" you to cruise on a line you are at odds with, grow up, put on your big girl/big boy panties, and follow the rules for a couple of weeks, max. You don't want to dress according to the line's guidelines? Eat in the Lido on formal night.

I realize it's your vacation, that you paid for, but that doesn't mean you get to alter the cruise line's way of doing things to suit you. We bring formal(enough) wear but if we don't feel like putting it on when formal night follows a very busy day, we make other dinner arrangements. We don't insist that the line change the rules for us. We don't dress according to what other passengers expect of us, but according to the rules/suggestions/guidelines that were clearly spelled out and available before we put our dollars on the line.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]Great post. Thank you. I've never understood why people book HAL...even though they disagree with the dress code, policy on wine, beer and liquor, etc.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='LMaxwell']The cruise lines set guidelines, mostly I believe, so that there is a uniform understanding amongst people hailing from many different backgrounds and nationalities. HAL tends to be more rigid in their guidelines and less tolerant of casual dress on formal evenings, but the fact remains that many mass market cruiselines make suggestions as an FYI, not as a hard and fast dress code.

It is in fact mainly on cruise critic that you will see others try to make it seem like it is a hard and fast rule that those that do not go full formal are required to dine elsewhere when that is not the truth. Ones opinion may reflect ones personal values, but whenever someone on CC, usually a newbie to cruising or a particular cruise line, asks about if they HAVE to dress formal they are told to go elsewhere. And it is NOT the cruiseline telling them. Please, let's separate fact from opinion for the benefit of all who seek answers.

I agree, if you dress in pajamas you won't be given entrance. The cruiseline establishes what the minimum requirements for entrance are. They do not establish a maximum or average conformity. If that is slacks and a collared shirt, so be it. Let the cruiseline dictate if someone is above or below that mark and permit access or turn them away. It is not the job of other guests to police how people dress and I am always repulsed by those individuals, or keyboard cowboys, who think they have the air of superiority to tell others to go elsewhere.[/quote]
I have seen it enforced so it's not true that it is an opinion. The thing that bugs me is people that come on cruise critic and complain they could not gain entrance to a dining venue because they were not dressed properly. I so don't care. That's your choice. Before someone says "maybe their luggage was lost". It happened to me and I still had the proper attire. I went out and purchased what I needed.

[quote name='magandab']I agree with several posters including 1160451. I honestly don't care what you wear to dinner, within reason. What I don't get is why people book a cruise with a cruise line that is very clear about their policies, including dress code, wine allowances, and the like, and then immediately post about how they want to, intend to, and need advice on how to, circumvent those policies. If you don't like what the cruise line has to offer, go somewhere else; there are tons of options out there to fit everyone.

I realize it's your vacation, that you paid for, but that doesn't mean you get to alter the cruise line's way of doing things to suit you. We bring formal(enough) wear but if we don't feel like putting it on when formal night follows a very busy day, we make other dinner arrangements. We don't insist that the line change the rules for us. We don't dress according to what other passengers expect of us, but according to the rules/suggestions/guidelines that were clearly spelled out and available before we put our dollars on the line.[/quote]
Excellent post!

I do not think that HAL's policy is overly onerous. It is easy enough to eat somewhere else...though I do wish HAL would keep the Lido open just a little longer at night for those of us who do not want the MDR on formal evenings or any other time.

As for wearing formal wear in all public areas on formal evenings...well that is simply not even a starter.

It is a silly request that is contradicted by other areas of the ship-ie the Lido. Someone was smoking funny cigarettes when they dreamed that one up. Edited by iancal

[quote name='CowPrincess']I think it is really unfortunate that your brother didn't show more consideration for your preferences when he made the arrangements.

From some of your posts, I suspect you are really dreading this experience. I hope you find a way to enjoy yourself on the cruise.[/QUote

I can sympathize with the OP . I could only imagine a vacation my sister would plan for me if I let her . :(

I realize it's your vacation, that you paid for, but that doesn't mean you get to alter the cruise line's way of doing things to suit you. We bring formal(enough) wear but if we don't feel like putting it on when formal night follows a very busy day, we make other dinner arrangements. We don't insist that the line change the rules for us. We don't dress according to what other passengers expect of us, but according to the rules/suggestions/guidelines that were clearly spelled out and available before we put our dollars on the line.[/QUOTE]
You expressed my thoughts very well-----much better than I could have.