Official Quantum Culinary News

Back to the questions regarding the Coastal Kitchen for junior suite guests and above. When you look at the list of room categories, the spa junior suite appears below the junior suite. When you look for a junior suite, it appears to be linked to a balcony and inside cabin - apparently to appeal to a group. So my question - Is the spa junior suite considered a "suite" when it comes to the Coastal Kitchen? (This might sound crazy, but I was surprised when we finally moved from balcony rooms to junior suites and discovered that it wasn't really a suite unless you were in "grand"):confused:

Back to the questions regarding the Coastal Kitchen for junior suite guests and above. When you look at the list of room categories, the spa junior suite appears below the junior suite. When you look for a junior suite, it appears to be linked to a balcony and inside cabin - apparently to appeal to a group. So my question - Is the spa junior suite considered a "suite" when it comes to the Coastal Kitchen? (This might sound crazy, but I was surprised when we finally moved from balcony rooms to junior suites and discovered that it wasn't really a suite unless you were in "grand"):confused:

I was told that all JS cabins are included in the Coastal Kitchen.

There are many types of JS cabins. From Quantum Suite/Deluxe descriptions off the RCI website as they are listed.

Family Junior Suite with Balcony

Family Connected℠ Junior Suite with Balcony

Accessible Spa Junior Suite with Balcony - (NEW)

Spa Junior Suite with Balcony

Junior Suite with Balcony

Although the new menu looks good, I am disappointed that there will no longer be set 'formal' nights and you will no longer have the same servers in the MDR.

The choice of early, late or mytime was fine so why change it?

From experience I have noticed that the dress code was slipping from cruise to cruise and it just seems that RC have given in to people who think shorts and a vest are acceptable attire for a formal night.

We are sailing on the 1st december voyage so it now looks like we will have to choose our meals 7 months in advance... we are diamond members so there are normally top tier events throughout the cruise which means many of these booking will need to be rescheduled. This also opens the question about shows - will there still be two per evening or will meals again have to be rescheduled?

the more you think about it prebooking will be a total waste of time as you wont know the itinerary until you are aboard.

We are seriously thinking of cancelling and transferring to another ship as this seems to be heading away from the reason we chose to cruise - we like the structure of set formal, casual, and smart casual dress and planning shows and entertainment around early or late dining.

What really annoys me is at the time of booking (early Diamond event) there was no mention of this major change to the whole cruise structure - we had to go through the whole early/late dining aggro and the table options. I really think standards are slipping and I think this will compound that - a server will not need to learn your name or build the bond you normally do with your servers.

Am i really the only person who thinks this is 'dumbing down' the RC brand.

Edited by theallens55
Tablet crashed without finishing

Although the new menu looks good, I am disappointed that there will no longer be set 'formal' nights and you will no longer have the same servers in the MDR.

From experience I have noticed that the dress code was slipping from cruise to cruise and it just seems that RC have given in to people who think shorts and a vest are acceptable attire for a formal night.

We are sailing on the 1st december voyage so it now looks like we will have to choose our meals 7 months in advance... we are diamond members so there are normally top tier events throughout the cruise which means many of these booking will need to be rescheduled. This also opens the question about shows - will there still be two per evening or will meals again have to be rescheduled?

the more you think about it prebooking will be a total waste of time as you wont know the itinerary until you are aboard.

We are seriously thinking of cancelling and transferring to another ship as this seems to be heading away from the reason we chose to cruise - we like the structure of set formal, casual, and smart casual dress and planning shows and entertainment around early or late dining.

What really annoys me is at the time of booking (early Diamond event) there was no mention of this major change to the whole cruise structure - we had to go through the whole early/late dining aggro and the table options. I really think standards are slipping and I think this will compound that - a server will not need to learn your name or build the bond you normally do with your servers.

Totally respect the fact that you prefer the traditional approach to dining, formal nights, etc. You are definitely not alone. I don't understand your comment though about this being a "dumbing down of the RC brand." Many, myself included, have long enjoyed traditional dining but believe that the whole MDR setup on RCI has become stale / boring. Yes, I enjoy having the same wait staff every night and that is one thing I will definitely miss, but I've just found the experience in the MDR to be uninspired my last few cruises... boring menus, okay food, etc. I don't see how forcing everyone to dress up on a couple of nights makes the RCI brand more intelligent -- or whatever you would say the opposing of "dumbing down" is. Do I dress up? Of course, it's part of the cruise... but I can't honestly say I will miss the formal night concept when it goes away as someone who wears a tie to work every day.

Assuming RC is able to address / fix some of the things that are problematic on NCL -- namely, long wait times for MDRs -- I think this will be an excellent system. Given that Quantum seemingly has more MDR space and a similar number of passengers to Breakaway, I'm hoping it will be less of an issue.

Love the "new" concept on RCCL. I can have the same time everyday (no change there), avoid the menus I do not care for (Chic), and enjoy having different wait staff each night (since my lastfew RCCL cruises we had horrible service and I wished I wasnt stuck with the same waiter every night). Lastly, I find it quite fun to meet as many crew as possible, learn about them and their country, etc. This just expands that opportunity some. Now, after my 10 day, I may have a different view, but looking forward to something new.

I'm not so inflexible that I won't try something new, but I have mixed feelings about the new Quantum dining structure. I will deeply miss the formal nights. I love the magic of seeing everyone dressed up, especially the young couples waiting to have their photos taken. I know we can dress up for dinners at Grand, and we probably will try a couple of nights, but when you're the only one around who is wearing a gown, it's just not the same. Oh well, times change.

Thankyou for your replies everyone...

Probably doesn't sound it but we are quite flexible but just a little sad the changes are so drastic. I do agree that the last few cruises we have been on the MDR has been pretty dull - the new menu is not that great to be fair and the MDR has been pretty devoid of atmosphere. We have never (apart from on Oasis) had poor service in the MDR and on that occassion it was more of a server's manner and not the actual service itself.

I did see that the Grande is a formal venue but I also agree with the comment about enjoying seeing people dressed up waiting for photos etc. It is also nice after in the theatres etc when everyone looks so nice!

'Dumbing down' was probably a poor choice of words - maybe relaxing the codes would have been a better way of putting it... I just think its a shame on a formal night when everyone is dressed in their tuxes and ball gowns and someone waltzes into the MDR in shorts and a dayglo shirt - but it is a holiday after all!

We first travelled on Empress of the seas and the dress code was always well adhered to. Maybe its the demographic - Radiance, Brilliance and to some extent Navigator have a slightly older demographic, whereas Oasis, Liberty seemed to attract a younger clientelle. There is nothing wrong with that - it just seems more experienced cruisers enjoy the 'dressing up' bit!

I think cruising is a very personal experience and you take from it what you want. I just think that the incredible choice of entertainment and venues on quantum were enough of a change for rollout and maybe the dining change (even though the menus sound gorgeous) could have been introduced after a few months.

Maybe on the 15th i'll happily book all my meals and venues and come away thinking why was this not done before?

I sincerely hope so.

In order to satisfy all guests’ preferences, we encourage guests to make restaurant reservations prior to their cruise. However, once onboard, guests will have the ability to make and edit reservations. We will continue to accommodate multiple guest reservations. Guests will be able to do this through a new planning and reservations tool available beginning on May 15th, 2014. You can find more commonly asked questions about Dynamic Dining here: http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Quantum/14037847_QN_Class_Culinary_FAQs.pdf

I know that guests can make reservations starting May 15, 2014 using the new online booking tool, but will there be a (thorough) explanation available on how to use the tool before that date?

What is the big deal about a waiter knowing your name? I will never understand the fascination with getting to bond with the staff, does anyone do this in land

based restaurants?

Hello, I have salt and diabetic restrictions. Before I would get the menu the night before, but if I change restaurants every night or two, how will this be handled? Do I go on TV in the morning and select for the night or what?

All of the menus are currently online and do not change from night to night or even cruise to cruise. If you need any more specialized food I would give RCCL a call and they can help you.

Menus can be found here. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/quantumoftheseas/dining/

Scroll down, click whatever restaurant you want to look at. Click "Visit this Restaurant" Then scroll down to see the menu.

In addition to each restaurants menu, there will also be an alternate standard menu available if nothing seems appetizing. (Beef, chicken, or a fish)

They have no idea. Their advice call the ship (not able to do that yet as it is being built), my call went right back to the person I just called).. That is no advise, whatsoever. There are people who do order the night before to ensure that their needs are met, we do need an answer., please. The menus are not much help when you order the night before because it is slightly different.

Edited by CaptData

Totally respect the fact that you prefer the traditional approach to dining, formal nights, etc. You are definitely not alone. I don't understand your comment though about this being a "dumbing down of the RC brand." Many, myself included, have long enjoyed traditional dining but believe that the whole MDR setup on RCI has become stale / boring. Yes, I enjoy having the same wait staff every night and that is one thing I will definitely miss, but I've just found the experience in the MDR to be uninspired my last few cruises... boring menus, okay food, etc. I don't see how forcing everyone to dress up on a couple of nights makes the RCI brand more intelligent -- or whatever you would say the opposing of "dumbing down" is. Do I dress up? Of course, it's part of the cruise... but I can't honestly say I will miss the formal night concept when it goes away as someone who wears a tie to work every day.

Assuming RC is able to address / fix some of the things that are problematic on NCL -- namely, long wait times for MDRs -- I think this will be an excellent system. Given that Quantum seemingly has more MDR space and a similar number of passengers to Breakaway, I'm hoping it will be less of an issue.

I think the fact that the MDR experience is getting dull is because of the specialty restaurants on the ships. After all who would pay up to $45 per person for food if the "Free" food is great? Now will the specialty dining ever go away, I highly doubt it. It is what it is and I think people are going to have to try it before totally writing it off. If you don't feel like you would like it, there are other lines for you to sail on.

What is the big deal about a waiter knowing your name? I will never understand the fascination with getting to bond with the staff, does anyone do this in land

based restaurants?

Cruises aren't supposed to the same as land based vacations? But at restaurants I frequent I know the staff, and enjoy the fact that as soon as they see me in their section I have my drinks and they know what I want.

You also get better service, IMHO, because a lot of people will give them an extra tip at the end of the cruise, where people won't do that if they get a different person every night.

Hello, I have salt and diabetic restrictions. Before I would get the menu the night before, but if I change restaurants every night or two, how will this be handled? Do I go on TV in the morning and select for the night or what?

They have no idea. Their advice call the ship (not able to do that yet as it is being built), my call went right back to the person I just called).. That is no advise, whatsoever. There are people who do order the night before to ensure that their needs are met, we do need an answer., please. The menus are not much help when you order the night before because it is slightly different.

Wendy, my US TA sent in the information for two of my family with regards to special dietary needs. They are both Lactose Intolerant and as one has Crohns and on a Low Fibre Diet (that we should be able to follow)but thought it best to let them know anyway. So reply came back today -

REPLY FROM ROYAL REGARDING THE SPECIAL DINING REQUEST:

We have received your notice regarding your food needs and will forward the

information to the ship. We are pleased to advise you that Royal Caribbean

International now offers Gluten Free meals as a standard offering on our

menu in the main dining room. By speaking with your head waiter in the

dining room your needs will be communicated to the galley and an open line

of communication will be established among everyone concerned.

Once on board please meet with one of the Restaurant Managers to review the

menus and identify those items that need to be modified or avoided. They

will be happy to assist you and will forward your concerns and needs to the

galley. All items prepared for guests with food allergies are handled

separate from the main food production. Please note that if you choose to go

into the other restaurants other than the Main Dining Room please meet with

the Manager for that particular restaurant to go over the food items with

you regarding your food allergies before eating. Guests are allowed to bring

on their own supply of dry, nonperishable food items such as cookies,

crackers, chips, energy bars, etc. They may also bring on their own

individual packets of salad dressings. Guests may not bring on board any

potentially hazardous food items. (Items that require refrigeration,

freezing, reheating, or storage by the galley).

It is also recommended that they refrain from eating in the buffet areas, as

they are self serve and can not guarantee it will be free of cross

contamination.

Best regards,

Access Staff

I am guessing it is just a standard template reply as it only mentions Gluten Free which doesn't apply to my family.

So it looks like we have lots of restaurant managers to visit on our cruise :rolleyes:

Hello everyone,

While we have never done traditional dining, I do understand why some people are disappointed.

Can I suggest a wee work around for those of you who are going to miss traditional dining?

Have a look at the restaurants on quantum and see which one(s) match/es your preferences the best and book your preferred dining times on 15th May when the system goes live. You should be able to book the same restaurant for the same times all the way throughout your cruise if you so wish and once you know a little bit more about the show times then you can make any amendments before or after you board.

There are comments on another Quantum thread that some people have rung RCI booking about something unrelated and have been able to book their dining times already and if I recall correctly, show times will be available 90 days before you cruise. Plenty time to make any amendments.

We have always done anytime dining, we are mostly off the ship in ports and don't usually come back on board until we have to, then we like to enjoy a cocktail and perhaps a wee snack while we enjoy sailing away from port before heading back to our room for a veg out and shower, dress up and then enjoy a bit of a ship explore and pre-dinner drinks.

Sea days are the days where I have pre-booked our speciality dining, as I have a much better idea of how the day will be structured.

I've had to queue for the main dining room before. One lady had posted a comment hoping that if we had to queue for restaurants, surely they wouldn't give us those horrid vibrating lighting up tags. No, we didn't get that on the Celebrity Equinox, we were escorted to the nearest bar for a drink (nice wine bar) while we waited and the waiter came and got us when our table was ready. No problems there. I'm sure RCI have thought of this eventuality. Ask Adam Goldstein at his Google hangout about this.

I'm sure this will be a wonderful ship and a great experience for everyone and that we will find something for all of us. I for one am so excited, we booked in May last year and it's been a long wait for some decent holibags.......

NY here we come!

Best,

Lesley

p.s. You think they will have a tree on board with it being December or am I getting ahead of myself????

Question: I'm wondering if you will always be seated with whoever you make reservations with (My DH and myself) or if you can ask to sit with other unknown guests at a larger table? I love getting to know new people. My DH and I eat together every day of our lives. We enjoy making friends and meeting new people over dinner. Does anyone know the answer to this question????? Thanks :-)

Question: I'm wondering if you will always be seated with whoever you make reservations with (My DH and myself) or if you can ask to sit with other unknown guests at a larger table? I love getting to know new people. My DH and I eat together every day of our lives. We enjoy making friends and meeting new people over dinner. Does anyone know the answer to this question????? Thanks :-)

I am traveling as a solo and asked a question about seating. I was told that you reserve a time and not a table.

This would become more complicated for those traveling together or in linked reservations. You would have one reservation for a dinner time tied to the single reservation for the cabin for all passengers.

I do not know the inner workings of RCI, but they would have to have a system similar to the airlines for splitting up a reservation in order for the restaurant management system to allow them to seat guests separately.

This is a very good question as I could see this happening often with shared cabins with the new Dynamic Dining system.