The Star vs The Grand

Weluv2cruise2007

We 're trying to decide whether to go to Hawaii via the Grand or Star. Flight cost is roughly the same, so really doesn't matter too much which embarkation port. We've been pretty spoiled by the new ships so the one time we sailed on the Grand we found it dated and a bit run down. I sailed the Star quite a few years ago but don't remember too many details. I know the Grand has Alfredo's, but other than that, are there major differences between the 2 we should be considering? Does anyone know if the closets on the Star are small like on the Grand? We will have a toddler with us and the playpen goes in the closet (yes...for real) but I'm not sure if it will fit properly in the small closets.

The closets and cabins are better on the Star. While no Alfredo's, the Star has Skywalker's. I'd also check to see which ship will have ELUA. Given a choice, I'd book the Star any day.

That said, we're booked on the Grand next year because it sails out of San Pedro and we can drive to the port. That's the only reason. Otherwise, I'd have booked the Star.

Even though the grand had a major makeover I still prefer the Star. Love skywalkers on the Star and the over all ship is newer and in better condition. When my kids went to Hawaii on the grand last year several passengers ha problems with the toilets and one had water running down the wall. Now I sailed on the Grand in 1999, 2006, and 2010 and had no issues. But my one sailing on the Star which was 2013 and a long cruise, was just a fantastic cruise with great staff.

Edited by timetravler

After coming back from the Grand recently, I would not recommend the Grand. But again, it has it's good and bad. But I personally will not cruise on it again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Taking my dad on his first cruise on the Grand in September and do have my worries. :eek:

I would pick the ship that the musical husband and wife team of Elua are on. Their Hawaiian Cultural Program can't be beat. My wife and I just sailed with them for the second time last week. They said that next season's schedule for them hasn't been set. But they are hoping to be on the Star Princess out of San Francisco. Next season Princess is cutting back on the number of Hawaii sailings, and no ship it doing Hawaii for the entire season. So Elua's situation is a bit up in the air right now. But I can't see Princess letting them go. They have a huge following, and I'm sure Princess knows the value of bringing them back next season.

Edited by Jasperdo

Hi

Been on the Star and Golden. Golden to Alaska last two years and booked for June sailing on the Golden again this year. Golden does Glacier Bay and I spend a lot of time viewing whales in Skywalkers

:):)

Guest USC Traveler
After coming back from the Grand recently, I would not recommend the Grand. But again, it has it's good and bad. But I personally will not cruise on it again.

i've been on the star and i think it's a great ship. i'm taking the star to mexico in november and i'm really unhappy that it doesn't have alfredos. i experienced that restaurant on the grand and liked it very much. however, there's nothing wrong with the princess pizza on the pool deck. i was on the grand last september and thought it was a wonderful ship too. could you elaborate why you seem to be so angry about the grand? you do say it has it's good and bad. that statement could apply to most ships.

Guest USC Traveler

bearwholovestotravel....

thank you for explaining yourself. i understand now. i guess it depends on the cruise itinerary and the time of year you take a cruise that determines the type of passengers on the cruise.

Edited by USC Traveler

Out of the original trio I've sailed on the Golden which I personally loved, that being said I'd say go with the Star because well like the others said she still has Skywalkers, my aunt raves about the Star Princess a lot for having a good crew, she last sailed on her in 2009 in the Baltics.

We have sailed on both Star and Grand. While we also enjoyed Alfredo's on Grand, I'd trade it any day for Skywalkers on Star. In fact, I'd say Star is our favorite ship. We've spent many days on her. Loved the big closet on Star and was surprised and really missed having that size closet on Grand. If Elua is onboard the Star when you sail, that's a real plus as well. Have a great cruise!

Just got off the Grand this month. I have never been on the Star but I did enjoy the Grand very much. I thought the small closet when I saw it was a problem; however, we had plenty of space. We enjoyed everything about it. We have sailed before on the Ruby and Emerald. I have only been in Skywalker’s for M&G’s and didn’t find it was a place I thought about going back to otherwise. Different strokes for different folks...... Just a relative newbies opinion.

Hi

The Grand does have Skywalkers. There seems to be a lot of folks that believe a great difference between Star and Grand is Skywalkers. I would sail Alaska by itinery not ship. Glacier Bay is a must for me

Hi

The Grand does have Skywalkers. There seems to be a lot of folks that believe a great difference between Star and Grand is Skywalkers. I would sail Alaska by itinery not ship. Glacier Bay is a must for me

The Grand does not have Skywalkers.

The Star has Skywalkers.

They should out up a sticky for this subject as it comes up often. I am contrary to the rest of the posts here - I prefer Grand Princess.

While it is touted that the cabins and closets are preferable on Star Princess the last time I sailed her my cabin was creaking and groaning all the way across the Pacific and back. Yes the closet is bigger but he trade off is the bathroom is smaller. The rest of the ship is very comparable to Grand Princess and since both ships are much alike, it's hard to understand how someone can call Grand Princess dated and not say the same about Star Princess.

What Star Princess has over Grand Princess is Skywalkers (if that's an important feature - Grand Princess has a stunning nightclub called One5 which replaces Skywalkers although the views are definitely not the same) and the Thermal Suite in the spa. Grand Princess' spa is lacking and so if you tend to spend time steaming, sauna-ing and relaxing, you will miss out in this area.

You won't be disappointed on either ship - Princess offers a consistent product over their fleet. It just depends on the amenities that are important to you and which of the ships have them.

Edited by bdjam

They should out up a sticky for this subject as it comes up often. I am contrary to the rest of the posts here - I prefer Grand Princess.

While it is touted that the cabins and closets are preferable on Star Princess the last time I sailed her my cabin was creaking and groaning all the way across the Pacific and back. Yes the closet is bigger but he trade off is the bathroom is smaller. The rest of the ship is very comparable to Grand Princess and since both ships are much alike, it's hard to understand how someone can call Grand Princess dated and not say the same about Star Princess.

What Star Princess has over Grand Princess is Skywalkers (if that's an important feature - Grand Princess has a stunning nightclub called One5 which replaces Skywalkers although the views are definitely not the same) and the Thermal Suite in the spa. Grand Princess' spa is lacking and so if you tend to spend time steaming, sauna-ing and relaxing, you will miss out in this area.

You won't be disappointed on either ship - Princess offers a consistent product over their fleet. It just depends on the amenities that are important to you and which of the ships have them.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this. I have been worried silly about my cruise in September on the Grand. I can now breathe a little easier.

I love the Diamond and Sapphire. (As well as the Coral and Island) Not quite as keen on the Golden lay out, but it wouldn't stop me from sailing on her again.

Is it safe to say the Star and Grand are more similar to the Golden, then say the Sapphire? (I hate that the adult aft pool is pretty much covered by what I assume is Skywalkers on the Golden.)