Credit card for on board account

Heleftherakiss

You will swipe the card when you board the ship and you keep it just like at the grocery store or liquor store. Everything goes on it. You can use one for you and your signifiant other can use one for them. This way you pay for what you use, drink or buy! At the end you will get an itemized listing of when you swiped the S&S card where everything goes......

'

This may be a silly question, but if you use a credit card for your on board account, do they keep the physical card? I want to be able to take the same card to ports so I don't have to carry around lots of cash. Thanks!

No they do not keep the card. The account is registered to your SeaPass card (RCI) and all on board charges are applied to that in a running account tally. Your credit card remains with you and can be used independently at any time anywhere as normal off the ship in port. At the end of your cruise you are presented a total of all charges on your room account which is the applied as a single charge to your credit card.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Thank you, and to follow up, does anyone know if Norwegian accepts Discover cards? I don't use credit cards anymore and that is the only one I currently have a card for. If you use cash to fund your account, do you do that as you board?

That particular question would be best answered by posting it on the NCL forum. Here is a link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Not only do they not take it - they don't care if it's yours. They just scan it. They only care if it's valid with the appropriate credit balance available.

A couple of years ago, we are checking in for our cruise. My son, DIL and grandchild are checking in next to us. My son looks at me and says, "mom, I need your credit card for our cruise. It's not like I have one". Mommy paid for the cruise too so I guess it worked out LOL. Apparently I love my children, their spouses and children very much :rolleyes:.

Funny story: to pay for the cruise they had to each pay using their own credit card. I was buying. I call the bank and say I need them to have their own card on my account. They tell me it will take 5 -10 business days. I say, that won't work. I'm trying to book a cruise and the fare will be gone if I have to wait that much later. Hold please. A few minutes later they were approved for the credit card and the cruise was paid for. Ya, ya. That was me too.

I read a tip on here a long time ago that you should not use the same card for your on-board account as you bring to shore. If the card gets lost or stolen & you have to report it to your CC company, the cruise line freezes your on board account. What a p.i.t.a.

We never take ashore the credit card that is linked to our shipboard account. We use a different card, just in case something should happen....the card should be compromised, lost, whatever.

Make sure you call your credit card companies and let them know when you're going, and WHERE you're going. It's awful if you're not in a usual place and they decline your card, thinking it's "suspicious" activity! Let them know you'll be traveling!