How to Choose a TA

I'm getting ready to book a fall cruise on RCCL and in the past we've always booked directly. Lately I've been reading about the OBC, etc that a TA will offer that RCCL does not. How do I go about finding a reputable TA and the one that will honestly give me the best "deal"

I'll use a big box agency once I'm sure I'm probably not going to change my cabin or dates. they tend to offer more OBC, restaurants, etc. and answer their phones mon - Saturday. The downside if you find an agent you like, they most likely won't be at the same agency two years later. I find the small companies and individual TA, aren't available as often to answer the phone if you see a price drop and such, that is why I do prefer to book thru RCI directly.

Its rough decision. The previous responses were good advice.

I've used a membership warehouse and an airline (that no longer does cruise bookings). The membership warehouse offered us a killer deal, plus we never have problems getting in touch with them via phone! So we'll definitely book through them again.

Just be sure to ask questions: Does the agent charge any cancellation fee over and above what the cruise lines charge? Do they charge a booking fee? Do they charge a fee for changes to the booking? Or any other kind of fee?

Those answers should all be "No".

Do they allow price drops? (ie: if the cruise line lowers the price, will they lower the price on your booking)? The answer to that should be "yes, provided the price is not labeled for new bookings only".

Do they monitor prices for you? (that is watch for those price drops, for you and automatically adjust your fare) Now that is harder to find, but some do.

And do they have real live people to talk to you? This answer had better be "yes" (basically this is just a warning to avoid, on line only booking engines. If you can only deal by e-mail, what do you do if you don't get answers?

And lastly, do you feel comfortable talking to the agent? Are they willing to spend some time with you, answering your questions? This is not a cut and dry assessment, but you are putting a lot of your money and your vacation in their hands, you should be at liberty to discuss it all with this person.

And last, of course, get referrals if you can.

Edited by Gayle V

...Do they monitor prices for you? (that is watch for those price drops, for you and automatically adjust your fare) Now that is harder to find, but some do...
Gayle V gave lots of good advice. I will say that the more service (such as price monitoring) the TA provides, the less OBC you are likely to get - service equals time that has to be paid for somehow, and that means less OBC. I have cousins who have dealt with a TA for many years and get no OBCs, but he does do all their paperwork, gets their visas, and gives lots of good advice, so they are happy to have that service rather than an OBC. Me - I go for the OBC:cool:

But you definitely should be getting some combination of service and/or OBC.

Thom

Check with those you know who cruise to see which TA they like.

LuLu

~~~

This is probably your best bet. I would like to say it seems wrong to shop rates for every cruise. That one online agency that has agencies compete against each other is great for rates but service may suffer as the agents give up portions of their commission in order to get your business. If you don't become a regular client, what's the point? Checking for rates is OK to verify but once you find an agent you like they will probably do their best to keep your business. My agent keeps me updated on promotions and has managed to get me perks from RCCl in addition to being fair with pricing. It bothers me when I see people trying to squeeze every nickel from other people's income although I understand wanting the best value.

This may be a dumb question, but when people are referring to a TA, are the website companies that are known as cruise consolidators, also considered TA's? We have used one of the cruise consolidators in New England for a number of years, and I've always been curious of when people talk about TA's, if they also mean companies like this. The one we use has a "loyalty" program, but I couldn't honestly say that I know it produces any benefit for us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This may be a dumb question, but when people are referring to a TA, are the website companies that are known as cruise consolidators, also considered TA's? We have used one of the cruise consolidators in New England for a number of years, and I've always been curious of when people talk about TA's, if they also mean companies like this. The one we use has a "loyalty" program, but I couldn't honestly say that I know it produces any benefit for us.
I actually had to look up "cruise consolidator". According to Frommer

the difference between so-called cruise consolidators and more traditional travel agencies is that the former offer an actual online booking function, while the latter use their sites as glorified advertising space

The TA I use would be a cruise consolidator by that definition, as they allow you to book on-line, but we have the phone number for the particular agent we use, and always book by phone.

I'd say that in the context of this thread I'd say that anyone other than direct sale by the Cruise Line is a Travel Agent including cruise consolidators

Of course in other contexts TA means TransAtlantic (cruise):rolleyes:.

Thom

There is a Cruise TA in one of our local malls here and all they do is cruises. I usually book my cruises online so when I was in the mall one day I decide to go in and ask some questions like "What would be the advantage of booking through them rather than going through the cruise line or doing it online". The agent told me that it is just being able to have them handle all the business for you. I ask them do they offer any type of perks like OBC or paying for specialty restaurant or pre paid gratuity and they said they don't offer any of that.

I left scratching my head because in my mind I was thinking...."What's the point :confused:. I might as well keep doing it myself"

Edited by bigque

I actually had to look up "cruise consolidator". According to Frommer

the difference between so-called cruise consolidators and more traditional travel agencies is that the former offer an actual online booking function, while the latter use their sites as glorified advertising space

The TA I use would be a cruise consolidator by that definition, as they allow you to book on-line, but we have the phone number for the particular agent we use, and always book by phone.

I'd say that in the context of this thread I'd say that anyone other than direct sale by the Cruise Line is a Travel Agent including cruise consolidators

Of course in other contexts TA means TransAtlantic (cruise):rolleyes:.

Thom

That's what I was thinking Thom, but never thought of looking it up like you did. It was kind of an innocuous little question, but "now I know".... and will probably keep using the consolidator we use as it appears like they have more to offer in the way of loyalty perks than the traditional TA referenced right above my post.