To visit Iguazu Falls or not?

petlover

We have been to Niagra Falls (both USA and Canada) twice. My husband is more of the belief that "you've seen one, you've seen them all". Curious to hear comparisons between Iguazu Falls and Niagra Falls. Is it worth visiting?

We have been to Niagra Falls (both USA and Canada) twice. My husband is more of the belief that "you've seen one, you've seen them all". Curious to hear comparisons between Iguazu Falls and Niagra Falls. Is it worth visiting?

My understanding is that this falls dwarfs Niagara falls. It is one of the 100 places to see before you die.

We are going.:D

jc

I have been to both. Niagara was great, but Iguassu was one of the highlights of my travel life...and much more spectacular. I would have really regreted not seeing it (and it really takes 2 days to see it all). Don't feel like you have to take the ship's tours though. I know a lot of people who have arranged their own through other agents and saved a lot of money. Try to see it from both the Brazilian and Argentina side...very different views and flavors of the region, believe it or not. I used http://www.southstartours.com to make my arrangements, as did others, and saved quite a bit over the ship's offerings.

A Canadian here and we took in Iguazzu Falls even though the cost of that side trip was very high and it was one of the highlights of our trip.

We did our own arrangements (privately) and saved a lot over what the ship was offering + we flew directly to the Falls from BA not the scenic route via San Paulo as did the ships tour passengers. We used http://www.defranturtours.com and were exceeding happy with his service and prices.

Make sure you stay at the Sheraton Iguazzu (the only hotel on the Argentina side that is right at the falls.

Also make sure you spend a minimum of 2 nights there - 3 would be better. And yes pay for a guide for the walks around the falls - in the heat it is well worth it to have someone to know which paths offer shade etc.

Enjoy.

I am not a nature lover and lived near Niagra Falls for 3 years. I was very impressed with the overwhelming nature of the expanse of Iguazu Falls. We spent 3 nights at the Sheraton in the Park and were able to stoll out to view different parts of the Falls at our leisure. We also figured if we were going so far, we might as well see the Brazilian side - so we sprung for Visas. Now we hope to go back to Brazil sometime in the next 4 years.

Been to both Niagara and Iguazu and truly, there is no comparison. Iguazu keeps going and going. Niagara, while you can probably get closer, is much more confined.

Rather than take a cruise-sponsored tour, we opted to travel on our own. Our cruise was Buenos Aires to Santiago, and we flew into Rio and got a Mercosur AirPass to fly us from Rio-Iguazu, Iguazu-Buenos Aires, then Santiago-Rio. All three flights were around $400 total (the airpass is based on miles flown). We found it cheaper than a roundtrip to Iguazu.

We went to the Brazilian side of the Falls, and our Brazilian guide told us the views from there are better than from Argentina. But I suspect those who've seen it from Argentina may disagree. The Hotel das Cataratas is a very nice hotel inside the Brazilian National Park just steps from the views of the Falls.

Another Canadain here who lives only an hour away from Niagara Falls, but visiting Iguazu falls is a definite must. My husband and I did around the horn trip on the Royal Princess and there were two highlights of our trip, visiting the Penquins on the Falklands and Iquazu Falls. The falls are so beautiful the pictures we have are so beautiful. I don't believe for a minute that when you have seen one falls you have seen them all!!! Small tip for those taking the round the horn cruise. We booked the Penquin trip on the falklands through Princess and because of a huge severe storm we missed Pueto Madryn so we were one of only a few who actually saw penquins on our trip. So make sure you book whereever you can.

Should I not see the Rocky Mountains because I have seen a hill? Niagara Falls is lovely and spectacular in many ways but Iguassu is a much more splendid experience. It goes on and on looking more spectacular from so many vantage points. I really would have missed out on one of the highlights of my 40+ years of travelling. It may have been costly excursion but I am so glad that I didn't miss it. I hope that you don't.

Fran

I, too live about an hour and a half from Niagara,

I would really like to take the trip to Iguazu Falls after our cruise in February. I am contacting a private guide (Defrantur Tours) and getting prices and details.

My husband is a little concerned about the flight from BA to Iguazu Falls. Can anyone who has booked this trip with Defrantur Tours tell me what type of plane was used (DH is imagining one of those really little ones that can barely get over the mountains). :eek: Did you have any concerns? Is it a long flight? Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks!

Mary Lou

I would really like to take the trip to Iguazu Falls after our cruise in February. I am contacting a private guide (Defrantur Tours) and getting prices and details.

My husband is a little concerned about the flight from BA to Iguazu Falls. Can anyone who has booked this trip with Defrantur Tours tell me what type of plane was used (DH is imagining one of those really little ones that can barely get over the mountains). :eek: Did you have any concerns? Is it a long flight? Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks!

Mary Lou

We booked with Defrantur also for a pre-cruise trip in January. We are on a Boeing 737 and Ricardo has sent us copies of our paper tickets.

You can look up flight info at http://www.aerolineas.com.ar/ar/index.asp?idi=en

Thanks for all who have replied on this thread. It has been very helpful in our planning. Do you need a VISA to go to Iguazu Falls? It is hard to tell from the map I have if it is in Argentina or Brazil. I thought I read you can view from both sides. Since we are not going to Rio on our cruise, I did not think that I needed a VISA. Just wanted to verify that I don't need one to view the falls.

Mary Lou

Hi,

You need a visa to view the falls from the Brazilian side. They tell me that the best views are from there. I did not go over there for my own private reasons, so I cannot be the judge. I thought that the Argentinian side was perfection.

I have heard stories that some people managed to get across without the visa but I can not vouch for this. Although the visa is pricey, many say that it is worth it.

Fran

Thanks for all who have replied on this thread. It has been very helpful in our planning. Do you need a VISA to go to Iguazu Falls? It is hard to tell from the map I have if it is in Argentina or Brazil. I thought I read you can view from both sides. Since we are not going to Rio on our cruise, I did not think that I needed a VISA. Just wanted to verify that I don't need one to view the falls.

Mary Lou

We are doing Argentinian side only based on what Ricardo told us. We are there for 24 hours only.

Both Victoria Falls and Iguazu are amazing, unforgettable experiences. If you have the time to see these falls, by all means do so. I have to advise, however, that the time we visited the Foz do Iguazu, many years ago, a huge fog or mist obscured the entire area until mid-morning. We could hear the falls, but not see a thing. Then suddenly the fog lifted and--wow--what a spectacular sight!

Oh, one other thing, there is an insect popularly called a borrachudo that exists near water in the region of the falls and other areas of Brazil. I was bitten by several of those while at the falls. They leave a golf ball size welt that itches like crazy over the entire swoolen area. In fact, as one bit my foot, I was unable to walk for a couple of days. Wear an insect repellent. Back in the "old days" when I was bitten, I was advised by Brazilian to cover the area with Colgate toothpaste, with did bring some minor relief. I am certain that better remedies exist now. Anyway, that was just a little advice based on my experience. Wear an insect repellent and avoid the problem. Anyway, seeing the falls was even worth the misery of borrachudo bites.

Thanks everyone!! On the Radisson website it looks like we can sign up for excursions beginning November 11. I'm anxious to see what they offer. We're doing the entire 62 days and this will be our first time to So. America.

OK - I am pretty much convinced that seeing the Falls is something we really should do. I would like to know from those who may have already done this if there is a lot of hiking required to see them. A little walking is OK - it's not that we are unable to - it is just that if the weather is very warm, it is not my favorite thing. I also heard about a train - can anyone provide details of their visit to the Falls?

Thanks,

Mary Lou

On the Argentine side there is an upper and lower circuit to the falls. Neither one is strenuous. There are some steps involved getting down to the bottom of the falls. There is a small train that also runs from the visitors center to the area near the falls where you can then take one of the paths to the falls. We also went to the brazilian side - got Visaa before we left - and took a tour of both sides. The different perspectives were nice to see.

Archived