Time to leave Carnival

LWiening

I have never really been one to call any ONE cruise line my favorite. While i do enjoy the party atmosphere, and overall value of carnival.... i am also taking a break from them for a while. On our latest cruise with carnival back in november, we just simply noticed the quality of many aspects of the line has slipped. i will start by saying that while i have never encountered a bad cruise experience, i have certainly had better. the service isn't what it used to be, with most of the crew seemingly going through their part somewhat robotically. with the exception of our cabin steward, most seemed to not have much personality when it came to interacting with the guests. maybe it's just me, but it didn't live up to the funship feel of past cruises. the quality of the food has declined quite a bit from our first carnival cruise just a few short years ago... including the specialty dining. The ship(glory) seemed outdated with what i've encountered on RCCL, and HAL. While i am not saying i will never sail with carnival again, i am saying i am taking an extended break from them for a while. Our next cruise is an 11 DAY panama cruise on HAL.

I'm not saying don't cruise with carnival, but maybe just realize there are other options out there. I also think taking a break from carnival can send a message to the cruise line that they need to up their game in order to stay more competitive. A cruise adventure is not simply judged by it's price, but rather by it's value and quality of it's product.... all of the pieces of the puzzle are important to the total cruise experience. if you lack in one area, the other aspects of the experience need to be exceptional to make a cruiser forget about the lack of experience on that one area.... and for me, this last cruise with carnival failed to deliver on several pieces of the whole experience for me.

Edited by misterd21

Our group went on our cruise in February and has begun to be a tradition. But with Carnival having the same old ports. Seems like the food is the same and the entertainment really has not change much. We decided it was time to leave Carnival and go on to another Cruise line for next year.

I think what was the biggest factor was changing how many cruises to get to be VIP and then for once you are there faster to fun that people pay as finally determined that Carnival has taken away allot of what we wanted.

No bands on the Lido deck was another factor and the same pool games being played.

Who knows we may return sometime but its time to say Goodbye.

On our last Carnival cruise out San Juan this past fall we saw a new pool game.......who could build and throw a paper airplane the farthest.....UNREAL .....so pathetic I couldn't even laugh........and to think thats what replaced music......

Edited by going2cruz

Dittos here as well. Except we left because of the smoking on balcony policy. If and when they change that, we may return. Reaching platinum was cool until they brought in the FTTF gimmick. Oh well, we are liking Princess quite well.

You don't like others smoking on their balcony while you are out. Understandable. But what did you lose because FTTF was introduced? How has it affected your Platinum benefits?

On our last Carnival cruise out San Juan this past fall we saw a new pool game.......who could build and throw a paper airplane the farthest.....UNREAL .....so pathetic I couldn't even laugh........and to think thats what replaced music......

Unfortunately imagination and creativity in entertainment has not been their strong suit.

Just got off the Dream yesterday. It was my 8th Carnival cruise, and we hadn't been on one in 5 years. My thoughts too were that it's time to try something else. I think quality has slipped a little. With a family of 5, you can't beat the price....which is why we went on the Dream. I wanted to try Oasis of the Seas but it was quite a bit more. I wish I had just paid more to see it. I think the problem is just the repetition. I'm kind of tired of the same old thing....mostly the ship layout. We sailed with another family who had been on Navigator and they really raved about the cool promenade area. The Dream has been our least favorite ship (my teenagers were really missing the Freedom layout). The service tho was so amazing....everywhere! I would prefer other food options for dinner. The 1960's reruns on the Lido in the morning had to be our least favorite part! How about some background music for us morning Lido people? To end on a positive, I was talking to ladies from the Oasis while in St. Thomas and they said they were so jealous of our DJ music during the Nassau docking. Their calypso band didn't start til 4. We had fun party music at 11. So take that!!!:)

Our group went on our cruise in February and has begun to be a tradition. But with Carnival having the same old ports. Seems like the food is the same and the entertainment really has not change much. We decided it was time to leave Carnival and go on to another Cruise line for next year.

I think what was the biggest factor was changing how many cruises to get to be VIP and then for once you are there faster to fun that people pay as finally determined that Carnival has taken away allot of what we wanted.

No bands on the Lido deck was another factor and the same pool games being played.

Your reasons for going are my reasons for staying.

I really like most of the ports in the Western and Southern itineraries. I enjoy the food and don't care to have Carnival (or any other line) presume to "entertain" me, have no interest in Platinum benefits, but I do like FTTF for tender ports and early check-in, and I stay away from most music and pool games on the deck (in search of quiet places to read and watch the ocean go by).

So it's probably very wise for you to look at other lines if their activities and accommodations are more to your liking.

our group went on our cruise in february and has begun to be a tradition. But with carnival having the same old ports. Seems like the food is the same and the entertainment really has not change much. We decided it was time to leave carnival and go on to another cruise line for next year.

I think what was the biggest factor was changing how many cruises to get to be vip and then for once you are there faster to fun that people pay as finally determined that carnival has taken away allot of what we wanted.

No bands on the lido deck was another factor and the same pool games being played.

Who knows we may return sometime but its time to say goodbye.

good bye

I don't understand why trying other cruise lines is such an emotional and dramatic experience.

Depends on the cruiser. We sail Carnival because of the price and ease of getting to the ports.

However, if you're a long time (read: diamond/platinum) cruiser with one company, a new line means you have to start at the bottom with the rest of us regular folk. You know, standing in the standard embarkation and debarkation lines with....those people, lol.

As you can tell by some (not all, or even most, but some) of the comments, their "departure" from Carnival should mean that the line will suffer and the stock should sink like it's 1929. The rest of us are supposed to feel sad, I guess.

Truthfully, we've been fortunate enough to visit almost every port Carnival visits out of Florida, that we wish to. We've no desire to visit Central America, and we've been there, done that with Cozumel. We have been looking at other lines to see what they offer. We have no childish hatred of the line because of any slight that others clearly feel they've been the brunt of (cough "promotion" cough).

So bon voyage to those who wish a very special send off from all of us. Who knows? We might be on that line with you one day...except without all the drama.

Obviously it depends on the person, but for my family the grass was not greener. Last summer we sailed NCL on the Epic which is supposed to be pretty close to the latest and greatest and we were extremely disappointed.

The cabin was very small and uncomfortable. The food was not good and very predictable unless you went to one of the many pay extra restaurants. The entertainment was basically by appointment only - who wants to "schedule" things on vacation?

Needless to say, we will be glad to be back on Carnival this summer.

The very best Platinum perk is free laundry.

If not for FTTF, early cabin availability and priority luggage would not exist for Platinum and above. Those are strictly FTTF perks that were extended to Platinum and above. Those who are opposed to FTTF are free to boycott those perks.

But if not happy with Carnival, as others had stated, Buh-Bye. Why the obsession with posting about it? It seems so petty.

Bookings will still continue to increase for Carnival.

If not for FTTF, early cabin availability and priority luggage would not exist for Platinum and above. Those are strictly FTTF perks that were extended to Platinum and above. Those who are opposed to FTTF are free to boycott those perks.

Excellent point! Looking forward to those great perks in 21 days!

Kevin C

Time and again I see people complain about the changes to the VIP program. Unless you are taking mostly 3,4 or 5 day cruises. There really is not much of a change. Between 9 and 11 7+day cruises you are platimun.

Sent from my LG-D959 using Forums mobile app

I don't understand why trying other cruise lines is such an emotional and dramatic experience.

Lol I agree. We are Carnival diehards that want to give RCCL a try soon. I can't wait so I can come here and announce it. Just kidding. I promise to spare y'all. :)

I think it is good to play the field so to speak when you are fairly new to cruising to determine which line best suits your tastes and likes.

Carnival does have some new itineraries coming out for the next 2 years. You can look through this list to see if any might interest you.

https://www.goccl.com/~/media/goccl/content/pdf/FleetExpansion_2015-2016_PDF.pdf

I've tried several of the major lines and each one had its strengths and weaknesses. I don't think any of them were bad, but rather just a matter of matching your interests and atmosphere preference to the cruise line. Carnival has offered the best value overall in the past, but who knows what the future holds for Carnival pricing. I agree with the OP that eliminating the calypso band from the Lido was a big mistake. I don't think Carnival's entertainment as it stands now will support the higher prices that Carnival seems to be pushing out. We'll see though.

I hope you'll come back and share your experiences with us after you've tested the waters so to speak. We all work too hard for our vacation time to not spend it doing something that brings us joy.

Okay, tell me what I am missing here. The only new ports I see is Carnival is doing one week to Bermuda and then they are going to Grenada on a repositioning cruise. Otherwise, it is the same ports.

OP, no harm in changing...we are going with Princess this year.

Isn't it great that we have so many options? We tried NCL in the fall, and while we had a great time, I don't think we'd sail the Epic again. But, I would consider a small ship.

I don't think there's anything wrong with changing things up - temporarily or otherwise. I'd love to try Princess or RCL, one day :)

Sent from my mobile device. Typos are inevitable.

That's what I'm thinking.

Between the two of us I think we've been on about 7 different lines and really have no preference.

Our next cruise was going to be Princess, then changed to Carnival, back to Princess and finally decided on Carnival.

If we only sail Carnival from this point out, that's fine. If we never sail Carnival again, that's fine too.

As far as I'm concerned it's a cruise and it'll be great. :cool:

I'm all for trying what's out there. We have a whole industry of cruise brands out there for a reason! Different lines for different tastes!

Personally most of my cruises have been on Carnival but I've also sailed Royal Caribbean. I view Carnival as a good basic cruise at a GREAT price, and Royal Caribbean (the bigger ships at least) as a line where you add proportionately more stuff on the ship (and fancier decor) for proportionately more price.

I do want to try a Celebrity Solstice-class ship at some point, a transatlantic crossing on Cunard QM2 is on my bucket list, and when DW and I have kids I dream of taking them on Disney someday (and perhaps a return to a RCCL Oasis-class ship with them too). But unless we have a reason to splurge (bonus at work, bucket list item, etc.) I think we'll be back on Carnival in the future.

That said, I DO think it would be a wise move for the greater Carnival CORPORATION to create reciprocity in frequent traveler programs between Carnival Corp. brands the way airlines have alliances and hotels allow nights to be accumulated and used between brands. People change cruise tastes throughout their lives, and nudging someone who is willing to pay more for something different than Carnival Cruise Lines to try Princess or Cunard over Celebrity or a NCL Suite might work in the favor of the larger Carnival Corporation.

Happy Cruising!

Edited by Aoumd