Rent or buy Snorkel gear?

FireStation46

The only time I go snorkeling is on a cruise so that is not often. I rented equipment on my last cruise. I know they sell snorkel gear inboard. Since I have to pay to scuba with the cruise I just wondered if it is redundant to buy my own personal gear.

Should I just keep renting, or for hygiene/personal reasons buy the gear on board or get it from Scuba dot com or some place similar. I see the online retailer has better adjustable strap in the fins vs. the one size Unadustable find got through rental. I also wonder if the online retailer deals are good in the $100-$150 range.

Thanks for your input!

Edited by FireStation46

he only critical tem is the mask. As you may have discovered, a poor fit results in a leaking mask,

Its best to try the mask on in a scuba or sporting goods store to assure a proper fit.

Mask Fitting

How many times have you gone into a dive store, tried a mask that seemed to fit just great, got on an airplane to halfway around the world, jumped into the water and the mask leaked? There seems to be a nearly universal way to try a mask, which unfortunately happens to be the wrong way. Put the mask on, inhale through your nose and guess what? The mask fits. Right? Wrong!

The big mistake is that no one dives or snorkels with a vacuum in their mask or shouldn't be if they are. By inhaling through the nose, an unnatural seal is created. Some divers have tried on masks that don't even come close to fitting but as soon as they inhale, a tight seal is created. While diving though, they are not constantly trying to inhale through their nose (which is what the store clerk told them to do) and now the mask leaks.

Someone told a tale of a dive store that displays all masks without straps. The idea apparently is to check that a really good vacuum makes a really good fit. Once again, no one dives trying to inhale through their nose constantly and without a strap no less.

Almost all modern masks have an outer seal and a narrower inner seal. This inside seal covers everywhere except just under the nose. If both of these seals touch the face than the odds of that mask fitting and not leaking are very good. This is done by putting the mask on with the strap loose, but in place, and then tightening it to what would be normal if you were diving. Some divers who have had very bad masks are in the habit of over tightening the strap on a new mask in hopes of a better seal. Don't do that especially while trying masks for fit.

The next step takes a second person or a mirror. Look around the entire inside of the mask checking to see that the inner seal touches everywhere. It is very important not to inhale through the nose which forces the mask seals to touch if they didn't naturally. Next check the outside seal the same way.

If the inner seal is not touching the face, especially next to the side of the eyes, it is likely the mask won't work well. But do check everywhere around the inside. The outer seal might keep water from dripping in but not as well as if both seals touch. Make sure the seals do not cut across any hairline or eyebrows. Also that the side seals are not right at the edge of the eye.

One other problem can occur when someone laughs, smiles or even squints. This motion creates lines or wrinkles next to the nose. Sometimes this makes a passage where water pours in. Almost every mask will leak when this happens. So don't laugh! Occasionally, depending on the person, these wrinkles may remain even after they stop laughing. In this case it may be necessary to straighten the face by pulling down or sideways on the cheeks. Again this is not necessarily a mask problem. So don't run out and buy a new mask.

If absolutely necessary, to keep everyone happy, you can now inhale slightly to check any unseen leaks. Sometimes a mask leaks around the glass. This is very unusual and is a one off problem, not the design of the mask. You can check this by holding the mask with the face plate parallel to the floor and putting water in the mask. If the face plate seal is faulty, drops of water will appear on the outside.

Don't be fooled by the size of a mask's frame and lenses. This has little if anything to do with how a masks fits. People will look for what seems like a narrow or wide mask, depending, but what counts is the size of the skirt where your face is actually touching the mask. An exaggerated example but if the lens of a mask is 1 foot wide but the skirt is only 4 inches, this would fit a rather narrow face but the mask looks huge.

With literally 10's of dozens of masks on the market, there is one that will fit. It may take awhile to find but it is out there.

We only use our snorkel gear on a cruise too unless practicing in the pool. Definitely prefer buying because you can make sure of a good fit. Also, I prefer a dry snorkel and so do my girls. Usually rentals are not dry snorkels. We only paid around $60 each for ours. That's the same as 2-3 rentals.

Definitely prefer buying because you can make sure of a good fit.

and you can do this via a web purchase .... how?

If you want to buy you really really need to go to a dive shop or accept that you are buying things that might fit.

in other words .... do you buy shoes over the web? Shoes of a type you have NEVER worn B4?

Edited by Capt_BJ

more power to ya

I've been diving for over 40 years and would NEVER buy a mask without trying it on

I encourage you then to buy your gear from a web supplier ..... I'm SURE you will be happy . . . .

BTW, strap fins are meant to be worn with dive boots otherwise they are VERY UNCOMFORTABLE ..... but U knew that huh? versus full foot fins?

No dive shops where you are? I lived 500 miles from the nearest diveable water and there WAS a dive shop in my town. You live in NJ .... there IS a shop within a 1 hour drive I'll bet. Spent too much time in Jersey to doubt it . . . they love their shore and their diving. I just googled it .... MANY MANY pops

Don't drive

buy crud

I'm ONLY trying to get you to not waste your $$.

btw, I just bought a new BC, reg set and computer and after presenting a web price to my local store, they beat the price with better gear . . .

support local small business . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

What the Captain said.. period...

He's got over 40, I have well over 30 and completely concur...

Nothing ruins a dive or snorkel trip like a cr@ppy fitting mask....

Edited by SheepdogGriff

We purchased online at www.sunplay.com prior to our last cruise and loved the stuff we got.

Really prefer my own gear to the rented stuff, not only for hygiene but also better quality and more comfortable. I also second the dive socks comment, makes the fins so much more comfortable and if you are snorkeling right off the shore it helps with the sand too so you are not having sand stuck in your fins and rubbing on your feet.

Masks:

A good fitting mask = a good seal (provided you're doing everything else right).

In addition, I'm nearsighted, so my mask has corrective lenses. If I can only travel with one piece of snorkeling gear, it's my mask.

Snorkels:

A good snorkel will seal itself off when you dive underwater (or when a wave washes over it). They also have purge valves at the bottom which make it easier to expel the small amount of water that may eventually get in. It's the second piece of gear I pack.

Fins:

My wife has very small, very hard to fit feet. Rentals are a crapshoot. Even with a more normal size foot, a fin that's the correct size will allow you to move more efficiently through the water. That allows you to swim longer without getting tired.

Fins take up a lot of space. They are the one item I would consider renting if I had a shortage of space to pack. (I'd leave mine home before hers.)

Inflatable Vest:

I'm a strong swimmer. My wife is a weaker, less experienced swimmer. A snorkeling vest can be inflated/deflated while it's being worn. My wife can deflate it if she wants to dive down to look at something. She can inflate it if the water gets rough.

Underwater Digital Camera:

I have a cheap digital camera with an underwater case. It allows me to remember the snorkeling trips more clearly. It also allows me to identify fish more easily. (Take a picture. Do research after the vacation.)

---------------

If you own your own gear, you're not dependent on a paid excursion or local shop for snorkeling. If there's a good spot by the shore, you can just go there.

Just a bit of a community service announcement for people in AUSTRALIA - Kmart is selling this week children's snorkel kit (mask, flippers and snorkel) for $4 and an adult kit for $5 in their summer clearance, the quality is not too bad. We bought one each for the family for our cruise in June and believe it will do the job :)

Edited by Travellingmum16

If you want to buy you really really need to go to a dive shop or accept that you are buying things that might fit.

in other words .... do you buy shoes over the web? Shoes of a type you have NEVER worn B4?

I purchased a couple snorkels in store, did not fit right. Then found one in store that fit. Girls tried it too and then we ordered same ones, cheaper on web. Yes I agree that it is hard to purchase on internet unless you've tried them first. Most places gave some type of dive or boat shop a drive able distance that will have gear.

Leisure Pro has an online store with a great selection and prices.

After going on a snorkel tour with an uncomfortable mask, I bought my own. You don't really need to buy your own fins, but I'd recommend springing for the mask and snorkel.

I have the Aqua Lung visage mask and impulse 3 snorkel (they're sold separately. Leisure Pro has them for 40-50% off). I wore the visage for a snorkel trip in Hawaii and it was so comfortable, I emailed the company a week later to get the model. When I tried it on in the store (before the tour), they said that mask fits most people. Of course it depends on the individual. That tour was through a dive shop so they actually fitted you for the mask. Most snorkel tours don't have a selection like that, so you can get stuck with a bad mask.

July 2012 ~ Celebrity Infinity ~ Alaska

• 2 weeks later...

jUST LIKE a BA.... fit is critical....safety and comfort. As far as snorkel it needs to be matched to the mask and mounted.... Rent a snorkel? would you rent a tooth brush

Cap"n Dan TRk55/ out in So Cal

I bought a snorkel + mask set on amazon that worked just fine for me for a few cruises.

I think this one: http://www.amazon.com/U-S-Divers-Admiral-Silicone-Electric/dp/B001QBJRPQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1397828678&sr=8-2&keywords=snorkel

When I started diving I realized the mask really was not a good fit for me. My new mask cost like $80...which is more than I would have wanted to spend to go snorkeling every few years.

But if you are just doing casual snorkeling, there isn't a lot of reason to get a super nice set. The Walmart ones will be fine for most people.

I like having my own snorkel, because I prefer a dry snorkel; but I don't really have a problem renting it, most places bleach them. I rent my regulators when I dive.

Edited by skittl1321

• 4 weeks later...

We found the best deals at Amazon. We go on vacation and snorkel usually one time a year, and we stuck to reputable, dive quality brands. We even bought a junior set for our 7 year old and will purchase for our 4 year old as well for next winter. Good quality equipment at almost half the cost as our local dive shop, for the same exact equipment.

I should have mentioned: Fins.

You don't need long fins for snorkeling. You aren't "power" snorkeling. The long fins require unnecessary energy and luggage space.

Of course it's best to buy at a local scuba shop, but not absolutely necessary.

There are some good shorties on the web. Example:

http://www.isnorkel.com/product/4573/US-Divers-Shredder-II-fin