What do you think of SNUBA?

FireStation46

I have never tried it, but wanted to show you this...

If you ever plan on going to Bermuda, there's a place there that does helmet diving and the guy has the fish "trained" to be held and petted. (A huge hogfish and a giant puffer). They also do some "tricks". I found out about this place and can't wait to go (hopefully next year for our cruise). It's pretty amazing looking.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Looks like you can get deeper and looks like fun. You may not get the separation from your fellow Snuba team as I suppose the air lines keeps everyone close. Any one try it? Comments? Thanks

My DH and I did a SNUBA excursion in Bermuda. It was an excursion offered through NCL...I forget the company. He enjoyed it but I had anxiety issues with breathing while underwater. Until that point I had never even snorkeled so I think it was more of a personal issue. You stay pretty close together with the other divers.

Since then I have completed scuba diving courses up to the advanced open water level. SNUBA is safer than diving, but it does have the potential to be dangerous if the pre-dive training is not emphasized. So just check out reviews before you pick a company and make sure they have a reputation for safe dives. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've done SNUBA twice now. Where are you thinking of trying it? We did SNUBA 2/14 in St. Thomas and a couple of years before that in Roatan. We tried scuba but I could not do it, made me to claustrophobic. I'm not perfectly comfortable doing SNUBA either but I can do it and it's fun.

• 1 month later...

Is there a weight limit? and why? I read 240 pounds and was just wondering.

Has anybody tried the snorkeling on like a Segway? Is there any of that in the Caribbean? Is this power snorkeling?

Edited by Bowie MeMe

Is there a weight limit? and why? I read 240 pounds and was just wondering.

Has anybody tried the snorkeling on like a Segway? Is there any of that in the Caribbean? Is this power snorkeling?

DW and I tried SNUBA in St Thomas. There wasnt really a weight limit per se, but the weight they put on you to keep you down is kind heavy when walking from the beach to the water. I was 300 lbs and had no problem. My biggest fear was that the the regulator would malfunction and I would not get any air, so I kept close to the surface at first. Once I got over that fear, I was fine and enjoyed it very much. We were in like 15 - 20 ft of water. The place we did it there want much to see, so I want to try it again at another place. I dont remember where in St Thomas we went, but I know it was a beach..... they should have taken us to where there was a reef and more fish. If you like snorkeling, you will like Snuba I think.

I signed up for "snuba" on my next cruise. I am looking forward to getting deeper than I can snorkeling.

p.S. Video will not play on my iPad Air

Great! Glad you signed up.

I'm a hardcore scuba diver, but I love anything that can allow non-divers an opportunity to see a little bit of the amazing underwater world (DW is still a non-diver ). I'm 100% sure you'll have a wonderful experience!

Cheers,

Michael

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

PSUtraveler

Since then I have completed scuba diving courses up to the advanced open water level.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Congrats on getting certified!

It opens up a whole new world to you!

It's a great personal accomplishment going from having underwater anxiety issues, to being comfy enough in the water to become a diver.

Cheers,

Michael

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

Edited by Michael P