Calling on Livorno on a Sunday

Mike00

Greetings All, happy to be here!

My wife and I are cruising the Mediterranean this coming May on Serenade of the Seas. We call on Livorno on May 25th, a Sunday.

A great friend of mine, familiar with the area, has advised me that Lucca in the Tuscany region is beautiful and very picturesque (we're not museum people, nor wine drinkers) for sightseeing, enjoying cafes and strolling around, etc.

My question is, is there any activity available on a Sunday in Lucca or the surrounding areas that you would recommend?

We're not adverse to train travel and busses, but on a Sunday schedules tend to be tighter if they're even available, I'd assume?

The shore excursions are expensive through the cruise company itself, so we're open to suggestions for activities and places to visit. Pisa and Florence aren't on our radar, we've been to both.

Greetings All, happy to be here!

My wife and I are cruising the Mediterranean this coming May on Serenade of the Seas. We call on Livorno on May 25th, a Sunday.

A great friend of mine, familiar with the area, has advised me that Lucca in the Tuscany region is beautiful and very picturesque (we're not museum people, nor wine drinkers) for sightseeing, enjoying cafes and strolling around, etc.

My question is, is there any activity available on a Sunday in Lucca or the surrounding areas that you would recommend?

We're not adverse to train travel and busses, but on a Sunday schedules tend to be tighter if they're even available, I'd assume?

The shore excursions are expensive through the cruise company itself, so we're open to suggestions for activities and places to visit. Pisa and Florence aren't on our radar, we've been to both.

I suggest you go to your Roll Call and see what private tours are being done and if there is any room left. Or if you could get two couples to join you put together your own group tour of Lucca using www.romeinlimo.com. Its 550 Euros for 6 people and im sure that's way cheaper than any ship excursion. By the way ive used them on multiple occasions for tours in Italy. Enjoy your cruise. Larry

Sunday's in Italy are problematic in that many shops/boutiques are closed. However, if you are going to a major tourist destination (Florence is the most common from Livorno) you will find Sunday's a pretty lively day with most sites open and loads of tourists (and Italians) enjoying the day with their families. Train schedules are usually adjusted on Sundays but there are still plenty of trains running between Livorno and Florence (called Firenze in Italian).

A major problem on Sundays are for those of us who routinely like to rent a car. In Italy, most rental car agencies are closed on Sundays with the exception of those located at major airports.

Regarding Lucca, I am not so sure this is a city we would enjoy on Sundays. When we visit Lucca, DW normally enjoys walking through the walled city, browsing the shops, and having a long lunch at an outdoor café. We also enjoy walking around the top of the walls (some like to ride bikes). But on Sundays, most of the shops in Lucca are closed and this does have a major impact on the atmosphere.

As to the Tuscan countryside in this part of Tuscany, it can be quite beautiful with many wonderful distractions. But to enjoy this you either need a rental car, private car/driver, private tour, or ship excursion. When we are staying in the region our favorite Sunday destinations (besides Florence) would be San Gimignano, Volterra and perhaps Siena. With our own car we might spend some time just driving on the S222 road (a back road that connects Florence to Siena) which is wine route the winds through the heart of beautiful Chianti.

Hank

This is one time when Hank and I are on different pages; for me the shops being closed is an extra reason to go to Lucca on a Sunday! It's a beautiful small city, but it usually leaves me feeling like I've just been to a big outdoor mall. Being there without the shopping strips it back so I can enjoy the architecture, the layout of the city, etc.

Of course, on the weekends the walls will be jammed with walkers and bikers, but that's part of the fun.

Thanks OP for bringing this up. I too will cruise into the port of Livorno on a Sunday (this April). We aren't planning on going into Florence, had thought of just enjoying the day aboard the ship, but now might be itching to see the countryside...Siena, Volterra, San Gimigiano or some combination. Can anyone comment on how touring on a Sunday might impact us?

This is one time when Hank and I are on different pages; for me the shops being closed is an extra reason to go to Lucca on a Sunday! It's a beautiful small city, but it usually leaves me feeling like I've just been to a big outdoor mall. Being there without the shopping strips it back so I can enjoy the architecture, the layout of the city, etc.

Of course, on the weekends the walls will be jammed with walkers and bikers, but that's part of the fun.

ROFLMAO! We might actually be on the same wave length, but DW might "cut me off" if I admit it out loud.

Hank