Carnival Magic or Navigator of the Seas?

CarnivalBoy

My 4th Carnival Cruise on the Magic just ended. I am thinking of a Thanksgiving 7 Day Cruise out of Galveston, but I'm torn between Navigator of the Seas and Carnival Magic. I have never been on Royal Caribbean, just Carnival. In your opinion, which ship or cruise line is best? :)

Some people are really caught up in cruise line loyalty and all that. I suggest that you try out the other cruise line and see for yourself whether it's something you enjoy or not. If anything else, just so that you know firsthand what else is on the market.

Some people are really caught up in cruise line loyalty and all that. I suggest that you try out the other cruise line and see for yourself whether it's something you enjoy or not. If anything else, just so that you know firsthand what else is on the market.

Have you been on both? If so, which is your favorite?

I was faced with the same question. Since I'd never been on the Magic before that was our final decision for this cruise! but next time I'm thinking we'll try Navigator. It just came out of dry dock with a bunch of upgrades by the way.

I just got off the Magic today. It was my second time. Great ship. Favorite Carnival ship that I've been on.

Carnival Magic - March 2014

Carnival Conquest - March 2013

Carnival Magic - November 2011

Carnival Triumph - November 2010

JMHO, but doing the same exact vacation over and over seems like a waste of time and money. But to each his own.

I'd go with Royal just to try something different, even if you're going to the same destinations. I do believe that Royal provides a cruise experience a few notches above Carnival.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We can get a Suite on Carnival for about the same price as Balcony room on Royal Caribbean

Carnival Magic - March 2014

Carnival Conquest - March 2013

Carnival Magic - November 2011

Carnival Triumph - November 2010

I have been on both. Each of them has things that I like over the other. Carnival has better pizza and I love the comedy club on Magic. I love the Royal Promenade, flowrider and solarium on Navigator.

Looking at our history, you can see all but one of our cruises have been on Carnival - - two of those on the Magic, with another one coming up soon. But the one RCCL cruise we took was on the AOS - sister to the Navigator - and it remains to this day one of our most favorite cruises. Now you are going to ask me why, and I cannot come up with just one reason.

Maybe it was the itinerary. Puerto Rico and the southern itinerary is our favorite route.

Maybe it was the price. At that time, the price difference between RCCL and Carnival was negligible for this itinerary.

Maybe it was the food. Taste is subjective, and times have changed, for sure. But the food was outstanding in all dining venues on board.

Maybe it was the service. Probably among the best we have had - - from the cabin attendant, dining room staff, bar staff, and of course the CD.

Maybe it was the wonderful people we met on board - - most of whom we still maintain contact with.

Maybe it was the ship. Grand dining room, elegant decor, wonderful layout, parades down the Royal Promenade, inside staterooms that overlook the promenade below. Almost endless activities.

Or, just maybe it was a combination of all these things. Looking back, we cannot recall one thing that leaves a sour note in our minds.

Now this having been said, we still love Carnival. Carnival staterooms are larger, the amenities are comparable, the dining options are great, the service has been consistently good, and our history has afforded us some of the perks that we enjoy taking advantage of. And, of course, Carnival's current pricing makes it a better value for us.

Regarding the Magic, it has become our ship of choice. The size and layout of the Dream class is optimal for our needs and tastes. In fact, when the Magic is pulled out of service for dry dock next February, we are considering abandoning the convenience of Galveston in favor of sailing out of New Orleans on the Dream - - just so we can keep what we have come to expect.

Should you give the Navigator a shot? Absolutely! I think you will enjoy your experience. As has been mentioned earlier . . . if for no other reason than to see what else is out there in the cruising market.

We love the Magic. But our next cruise is on Navigator. We figured that since she has just been refurbished, this would be a good time to do another Royal Caribbean cruise. One is not better or worse than the other, just different. Whichever you decide, enjoy your planning and have a great vacation.

Edited by wstxn
typo

From friends and family who have been on both, they prefer the Navigator. As for us, we've only been on Magic between the two and were faced with the same dilemma, this year. We ended up opting for the Magic since this will be the first cruise for our son who just turned 14. We know what to expect on Carnival and the Magic so that's what tipped the balance for us.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

We were on the Magic earlier this month and loved it! So far our very favorite cruise and ship. Our second favorite would be Voyager of the Sea and it was years ago. We think it is because we did not have the kids with us, both just us. Same itinerary for each ship.

That being said, when we did Mariner of the Seas in 2012 we were hoping to repeat the experience of the Voyager but some how it was lacking. IMHO it seems the venues on RCCI are smaller (clubs, lounges) but food seems a little better on Carnival.

I would say try something different!

We did Mariner and Magic the yr after. While we loved Mariner and what it had to offer we loved Magic more! However I have kids who enjoyed Magic more and I think we went on a retirement village cruise week. We were the youngest on board it felt and we are ate 30's.

That said I did like that RCCL was a bit nicer then Carnival. As you can see though I am booked on Magic again. It was just way more fun.

navigator!!

Those were a great class of ships by RCI before they went crazy with the gimmicks and jammed the whole suburban mall into a ship and placed foodcourt stalls calling them specialty restaurants on their ships.

nice ship, but the usual mediocore at best RCI food still applies... just like it does to the other rci ships.

Edited by gilboman