Two adults and a 12 year old in an inside cabin QM2

moggi1964

Well I'm in the UK in June so maybe I'll grab a couple of bayonet daylight UK bulbs whilst I am there. Love the idea of the webcam as a means of keeping in touch with the outside 'time' :)

Maybe we should buy the 'after dinner port and brandy' package :D

But, just to mention, you wouldn't want to leave your child alone in the cabin at night... maybe order room service for your late night beverages?

I just happened to see this post as it blazed across my mobile app. So forgive the ' interruption'.

To the OP: If you are truly trying to reduce the cost of returning home by doing a TA, why are you booking the QM??? There are several other cruise lines that could offer you the same space in an inside cabin at a far lower cost, or a much larger cabin at a similar cost.

And you might find that the snarky remarks about the poor folks, the inside cabin dwellers, are non existent on those ships.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Because I always wanted to sail on Cunard!

Having sailed alongside the Cunard Princess and Countess back in the 80's and knowing my brother came home form the Falklands on the QE2 I just had to sail on them.

I don't pay any attention to the chatter about the 'class levels'; I'm first class in how I live and approach life. Always have been, always will be!

Parenting advice I'll get elsewhere.

Thanks.

That's not nice, and I am rather taken aback by your response: Do you mean that you don't agree with my statement that you wouldn't want to leave your child alone in a cabin late at night? That would be your choice, except that the Passage Contract states:

"Guests under the age of 18 years must be accompanied by a Guest 18 years or older who shall assume responsibility for their care during the Voyage. For family groups booking multiple staterooms, the minimum age for at least one person in each stateroom is 16 years of age, provided they are traveling with a parent or legal guardian. Carrier will not accept group reservations for student or youth groups that do not conform to our minimum age requirements. Each Guest agrees and warrants that he/she will supervise any Guest in his/her care at all times to ensure all policies, along with all other rules of the Carrier and ship, are strictly adhered to by all Guests under their supervision."

quoted from http://www.cunard.com/legal-information/

I wasn't offering you parental advice, I was trying to find a delicate way to remind you of your contractual obligations in accordance with the Passage Contract. But, by all means, ignore and disregard advice as well as news reports regarding assaults upon minors on cruise ships. If you are unfamiliar with such reports, I will cite reputable sources.

Edited by Salacia

I just happened to see this post as it blazed across my mobile app. So forgive the ' interruption'.

To the OP: If you are truly trying to reduce the cost of returning home by doing a TA, why are you booking the QM??? There are several other cruise lines that could offer you the same space in an inside cabin at a far lower cost, or a much larger cabin at a similar cost.

And you might find that the snarky remarks about the poor folks, the inside cabin dwellers, are non existent on those ships.

Snarky remarks about inside cabins? No, what I saw was experienced Cunard passengers offering support and suggestions. Silly though it might be, I feel the exchange of information was helpful, informative and supportive. If it falls on deaf ears, so be it - we tried our best.

However, there is no question that you can do a trans-Atlantic crossing at a lower cost. And who wouldn't want to find the cheapest possible way to sail with their family across the Atlantic? I wouldn't.

jkgourmet, on what ship did you cross the Atlantic from NY to Southampton? Can you make a comparison between that experience and the experience of crossing on the QM2? Thanks for your anticipated reply.

Cheers,

-S.

Edited by Salacia

Snarky remarks about inside cabins? No, what I saw was experienced Cunard passengers offering support and suggestions. Silly though it might be, I feel the exchange of information was helpful, informative and supportive. If it falls on deaf ears, so be it - we tried our best.

However, there is no question that you can do a trans-Atlantic crossing at a lower cost. And who wouldn't want to find the cheapest possible way to sail with their family across the Atlantic? I wouldn't.

jkgourmet, on what ship did you cross the Atlantic from NY to Southampton? Can you make a comparison between that experience and the experience of crossing on the QM2? Thanks for your anticipated reply.

Cheers,

-S.

jkgourmet, also, please include any ship other than the QM2 that has a kennel to transport dogs on a transatlantic crossing since the OP mentioned that he was taking his dogs on the voyage. Thanks, -S.

Edited by Salacia

That's not nice, and I am rather taken aback by your response: Do you mean that you don't agree with my statement that you wouldn't want to leave your child alone in a cabin late at night? That would be your choice, except that the Passage Contract states:

"Guests under the age of 18 years must be accompanied by a Guest 18 years or older who shall assume responsibility for their care during the Voyage. For family groups booking multiple staterooms, the minimum age for at least one person in each stateroom is 16 years of age, provided they are traveling with a parent or legal guardian. Carrier will not accept group reservations for student or youth groups that do not conform to our minimum age requirements. Each Guest agrees and warrants that he/she will supervise any Guest in his/her care at all times to ensure all policies, along with all other rules of the Carrier and ship, are strictly adhered to by all Guests under their supervision."

quoted from http://www.cunard.com/legal-information/

I wasn't offering you parental advice, I was trying to find a delicate way to remind you of your contractual obligations in accordance with the Passage Contract. But, by all means, ignore and disregard advice as well as news reports regarding assaults upon minors on cruise ships. If you are unfamiliar with such reports, I will cite reputable sources.

I didn't realise you were from the Passage Contract Enforcement Unit, I thought you were telling me what I should or shouldn't do as far as my son is concerned. I apologize if my misreading of "....you wouldn't want to leave your child alone in the cabin at night.." made me think think that way and as a result I hurt your feelings.

Now, I think I have a good feel for peoples' opinions on an inside cabin so there probably isn't much more to add here, folks.

Thank you for your input everyone. Yours too Salacia, I know you were only trying to be helpful.

i didn't realise you were from the passage contract enforcement unit, i thought you were telling me what i should or shouldn't do as far as my son is concerned. I apologize if my misreading of "....you wouldn't want to leave your child alone in the cabin at night.." made me think think that way and as a result i hurt your feelings.

Now, i think i have a good feel for peoples' opinions on an inside cabin so there probably isn't much more to add here, folks.

Thank you for your input everyone. Yours too salacia, i know you were only trying to be helpful.

Bon Voyage!

Edited by Salacia

• 1 year later...

So as the time approaches we sadly are leaving as a family of 4 not 5 as Skippy died about 6 weeks ago.

Always planned for him to be with us but cancer said otherwise.

Rusty has grown into a larger dog than anticipated at the time of booking so it was suggested we keep both kennels as he will no longer fit comfortably into one. So Rusty comes out okay!

We'll miss Skippy especially when we go to board.

Skippy.jpg.bad6f626ac3e22119b03a2b5ac43377b.jpg

So as the time approaches we sadly are leaving as a family of 4 not 5 as Skippy died about 6 weeks ago.

Always planned for him to be with us but cancer said otherwise.

Rusty has grown into a larger dog than anticipated at the time of booking so it was suggested we keep both kennels as he will no longer fit comfortably into one. So Rusty comes out okay!

We'll miss Skippy especially when we go to board.

Sorry to hear about Skippy; although I've never had a dog I know they become a big part of the family.

Please let us know how you managed in the cabin. My hubby, adult daughter & myself booked an inside cabin for a crossing last December but were upgraded to a balcony (!) so can't help you with any advice. However, we are doing an eastbound crossing in November and have booked an inside. Doubt that we will be lucky enough to be upgraded again, so would like to hear how you got on.

Babs, I will do my best to provide an update once we get settled.

Thanks both for the kind thoughts.

We had this cake made to surprise our family when we were in the UK last year. We still have the fondant heads so we'll have a 'little Skippy' with us :)

135881322_QueenMary2cakemed.jpg.e3b4dee64d1505be0db1bf0c27c22c44.jpg

Edited by moggi1964

UPDATE:

babs, going to have to disappoint you on the Inside Cabin review. Just got a call from our wonderful contact at Cunard to say we have been upgraded to a midships Balcony room.

Oh joy; more light and more room :D:D

UPDATE:

babs, going to have to disappoint you on the Inside Cabin review. Just got a call from our wonderful contact at Cunard to say we have been upgraded to a midships Balcony room.

Oh joy; more light and more room :D:D

Congrats on the upgrade. Enjoy the crossing :)