Passport 'Kickback' odds?

gumballz

That's what we they do at our county seat office, but the people are VERY NASTY and it's a half hour or more from my home (depending on traffic) to get there, so I was thrilled when the post office started doing them. I got mine back in less than 3 weeks without a hitch. Of course, I got my new digital NJ driver's license about 4 months before I applied for my passport which is harder to get now than a passport, so I figured everything would be fine, and it was.

Here , we do ours through the court house, they can take photos there and cheaper than Walmart. We know the forms are in order before they are sent!

• 2 years later...

I got my photo done at Walmart with my wife and the post office kicked mine back because the head size was too small, my wife's was fine. They took one there at the post office and charged me $15.00, that was better than going back to Walmart.

The problem I have now is that the the photo on my passport (taken at the post office) is very washed out and I have been told it may not be acceped. It passed through the application process fine but I am worried that I might be turned away at customs this summer when I go to Canada for my cruise. Anyone ever have this problem?

I got my passport several years ago, but getting it was a pain in the backside!

When I went to the post office to turn in everything, the postal worker was not cooperative. My pictures, which were done by a photographer, were fine. He said they weren't. I filled something out wrong, don't remember what it was, but he had me correct it and said the paperwork might be kicked back because of it. My birth certificate had a colored stamp, not an embossed one. He said it was not an "original". It was an original, just real old. He tried telling me it would not be accepted.

I finally fussed at him and his supervisor came over to see what the problem was. She looked everything over, told him it was fine and to chill out. Not sure if my coming in caused "extra" work for him or what, but he acted as if he didn't want to take care of my paperwork.

Several weeks later, I received my passport.

I am amazed that in this post 9/11 world US passports are still sent via ordinary mail. In Canada, passports are delivered to the door and we have to sign for them. If one is not at home then a card is left directing us to the nearest postal outlet where we can pick up the passport---after showing ID and signing.

This so funny that as I read through this thread, I realized it started back in 2005.

To answser the poster who brought this thread forward, if you are disturbed or worried about your passport, you might inquire about getting a replacement one. I think I would investigate that option.

Mine got kickback because it was 15 years old, didnt realize that.

It arrives in a standard size No.10 envelope.

Just by measuring the photo at 2x2 doesnt cut it, it also has to meet the guidelines of the size of the headshot within the photo.

You are so right about the passport photo. We had ours done originally at CVS to save a few bucks and the picture has to fit EXACTLY into the oval shape and if it doesn't, it CAN and WILL be kicked back. I went back to CVS and told them I wanted a refund and they gladly gave me my money back. I ended up going to a Mail Boxes Etc. place and they said they had very modern equipment (which they did) and I was very pleased with their work. However with CVS, I can't believe they didn't take the time to make sure the picture fit exactly into the oval space - it's all done digitally so they could've made sure it did. I think those people don't know what they're doing. I also don't recommend Walgreen's!

Laurie

Every Walgreens, CVS etc are all different from store to store. With so many employees, it isn't fair (nor make sense) IMO to condemn all as being deficient. One employee in one CVS making a mess of a photo doesn't mean all, in all the stores nationaly, will mess up.

I had my photo for my renewal done at CVS and it was fine. No problem at all.

I went in today and took care of everything to get my passport. The man said everything looks great, but my paperwork could still get 'kicked back'. Is it common for this to happen or is it only if there's something wrong with the paperwork? He measured my photo and said it was fine.......checked every box and said it was fine........my birth certificate is an original, etc.

Also.......how does the passport arrive? Is it obvious that it's an official document? I'd hate to have someone get the mail and think it's junk.

Thanks!

It will only be kicked back if you haven't sent proper documents and photos.....or unless there is some question about your citizenship,etc.

The passport arrives by mail..........

I'd like to add another reason for passport denial....If you owe more than $2500 in back child support, your application will be denied.

The passports are currently coming back in small priority envelopes, your citizenship papers come back in a manila envelope.

I got my passport several years ago, but getting it was a pain in the backside!

When I went to the post office to turn in everything, the postal worker was not cooperative. My pictures, which were done by a photographer, were fine. He said they weren't. I filled something out wrong, don't remember what it was, but he had me correct it and said the paperwork might be kicked back because of it. My birth certificate had a colored stamp, not an embossed one. He said it was not an "original". It was an original, just real old. He tried telling me it would not be accepted.

I finally fussed at him and his supervisor came over to see what the problem was. She looked everything over, told him it was fine and to chill out. Not sure if my coming in caused "extra" work for him or what, but he acted as if he didn't want to take care of my paperwork.

Several weeks later, I received my passport.

I don't know why they give you such a hassle. It's already stress enough getting a passport. I got mine at the post office and the lady that looked over my paper work acted the same way. I got it 6 weeks later with no problems.

Fedex/Kinkos did our photos.. very reasonable, and had them done in about 5 minutes...

Bahamas will stamp your book, I just pulled out my old passport and checked.

I also noticed my return to US from out of the country on 9/10/01...:(

Bahamas will stamp your book, I just pulled out my old passport and checked.

I also noticed my return to US from out of the country on 9/10/01...:(

You were actually lucky to get back before 9/11... We returned from our trip out of the country on 9/14/01. The world (and the security hassles) changed in the week we were gone... :(

Archived