security on ship? O'Reilly show

vmom

My understanding is that O'Reilly reported on lax security for passengers aboard RCCL ships including a report of 2 sexual assaults per month per ship.

How is Princess' security? I've never heard any reports of assaults or passengers missing on Princess ships as compared to recent missing passengers on RCCL, a missing girl who was supposed to have been seen months later by a naval officer in a brothel in South America (possible case of modern day human slavery traffic) and a young honeymooner missing, among misc others from Carnival and RCCL . Never heard problems with Princess line? any comments? is Princess security more sensitive to this? Do they hire a better group of workers on ship?

My understanding is that O'Reilly reported on lax security for passengers aboard RCCL ships including a report of 2 sexual assaults per month per ship.

How is Princess' security? I've never heard any reports of assaults or passengers missing on Princess ships as compared to recent missing passengers on RCCL, a missing girl who was supposed to have been seen months later by a naval officer in a brothel in South America (possible case of modern day human slavery traffic) and a young honeymooner missing, among misc others from Carnival and RCCL . Never heard problems with Princess line? any comments? is Princess security more sensitive to this? Do they hire a better group of workers on ship?

Though I enjoy O'Reilly, I felt he was a little off with his cruise lingo. He needed to spend a few minutes with us here on CC. :) Aside from the fact the average sexual assault is around 2 per month, I find it more astonishing none of them have ever made it to court. Not one. Whose safety is more of a concern, mine and my family's or protecting the image of the cruise line? :confused:

Though I enjoy O'Reilly, I felt he was a little off with his cruise lingo. He needed to spend a few minutes with us here on CC. :) Aside from the fact the average sexual assault is around 2 per month, I find it more astonishing none of them have ever made it to court. Not one. Whose safety is more of a concern, mine and my family's or protecting the image of the cruise line? :confused:

I saw the show, and he really should have researched further regarding his reporting of sexual assaults. I live in Florida and when we first moved here 18 years ago, the papers were filled with the law suits against RCL because of the sexual assaults on passengers. That is a fact. He had that right. But I do believe that after losing some of the law suits, RCL has straightened up its act. One of the problems back then was that the line would fire the assaulters, put them off the ship, and 6 weeks later rehire those felons.I don't bellieve they are that lax anymore.

I haven't heard of any problems with rape although there have been instances of people falling overboard. In almost every overboard case I've read about, the people were drinking heavily and sitting or standing on a railing.

As I remember the story, the missing girl had been fraternizing with the crew and had met up with some of them while onshore. That doesn't mitigate the fact that she might gotten into trouble while trusting crew members, but there are constant warnings not to do exactly that. Even here on the CC boards, people have publically posted that they ignored those rules and met up with crew members onshore.

Here's an interesting site for this kind of information. http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

That's an interesting site...

I noticed that most incidents about Princess were about illness, and not about security.

The one about Goldie Hawn refusing to christen the Sea Princess is funny!

The one about the carnival Inspiration almost hitting the Grand Princess... and almost KILLING the divers, was very scary!!!! Can you imagine seeing a huge cruise ship coming right at you while you are diving!!! :eek:

How often do those type of assaults occur in the cities we live in? Most cities, not necessarily only the major ones, report more than 2 in a month. Unfortunately it's just the way things are and everyone just has to always be on guard.

How often do those type of assaults occur in the cities we live in? Most cities, not necessarily only the major ones, report more than 2 in a month. Unfortunately it's just the way things are and everyone just has to always be on guard.

This is very true, however you are pretty much stuck when on a ship. It's a good lesson, though, for those who feel a false sense of security while on a cruise. Things do happen.

This is very true, however you are pretty much stuck when on a ship. It's a good lesson, though, for those who feel a false sense of security while on a cruise. Things do happen.

Also, to look at it another way....if you lived in a town or 2500-3000 people and that town had 2 sexual assaults per month it would rightfully be considered a serious problem for that town, and a lot of officials would probably be replaced in a hurry.

One thing to consider is the way the cruise ships recruit and hire personnel. Princess has employment offices in the countries where they do their recruiting for crew and they do background checks as well as personal references. I don't know how other cruiselines do it but I suspect they don't do it the same way.

bdjam -Why does anyone believe O’Reilly?

OH NO!!!! First it's MUTS, then Monday Night Football, and now O'Reilly! This is really too much for me!!!!! LOL!

Went to the crusejunkie.com site. Very interesting. Noticed that Carnival and RCCL ships were mentioned alot. Seemed that more of the violent types of events happened on one of these two lines.

The only events I noticed regarding Princess ships seemed to be a while back when all the ships were having trouble with stomach virus and misc other events like bumping the pier.

The one about Goldie Hawn refusing to christen the Sea Princess is funny!

They said she was ill. She must have seen what the ship looked like with the new MUTS screen hanging from the top of it.

If they put O'Reilly on MUTS, I'm changing cruise lines! ;)

Hmmmm. That would be the first time I visit the MUTS presentation. Different strokes for different folks. PS: I also listen to Alan Combs. Like to hear all sides of the political spectrum. But, hey...let's not introduce political subjects here. There are other sites for that. That subject is almost as bad dress code and smoking.

2 sexual assaults per month???

Does that include assualts by passengers against passengers? I don't see that as being an extremely high crime rate unless I am missing something?

Don't get me wrong, one assault is one too many but I think this is blown a bit out of proportion.

2 sexual assaults per month???

Does that include assualts by passengers against passengers? I don't see that as being an extremely high crime rate unless I am missing something?

Don't get me wrong, one assault is one too many but I think this is blown a bit out of proportion.

RCL had a big problem with this about 10 years ago. There were a few law suits against RCL because it was crew who were the attackers. The problem with prosecuting was that it was out of the jurisdiction of the US courts. And an even bigger problem....the line fired the crew members, but rehired them 6 weeks later. Since RCL lost some of the lawsuits, I do believe the line has cleaned up its act. I also believe that O'Reilly overstated the message. But as you say, one is one too many and the cruise lines cannot ignore a problem and hope it goes away.

Archived