How Valid is it?????

Cruiser#5

I've been reading a number of posts on the board regarding upsell or upgrade (I'm not sure the difference) One post indicated to find the availability of cabsin to make like you are booking a cruise thru NCL.COM I did that and came across the owners suite along with others mini suites that looked availble.

I did the same for another ship that will be leaving sooner and they don't have many left except inside cabins.

I am fully paid now (two weeks ago)

1. Is that a guarantee that these suites are still available?

2. Do they offer an upsell/upgrade to first timers? or do you have to have cruised with them once or more to get offered?

NCL's policy is typically "Don't call us, we'll call you." However, I know that several people have successfully been offered upsells when calling the customer service desk. Shoreguy has that number and I'm sure he'll post it for you sometime today. As far as the difference between upgrade and upsell:

Upgrade: The cruise line will automatically put you in a higher category cabin than the one you've booked at no charge. Usually only happens with those who booked a Guarantee

Upsell: The cruise line will offer you a higher category cabin for a discounted price. Guarantee bookings in this case really don't make a difference.

Example: My family was booked in an AF mini suite on the Dawn last month. A few days after final payment, NCL called an offered an upsell to us to an AB Penthouse for a total of $900. Had we booked that suite outright, we would have paid an additional $4000 for it. So, naturally, we jumped on it. And, the suite was fantastic. See pics on the link at the end of this post. Recently, I booked a 4 day Bahama Cruise on Carnival Fascination in an Ocean View Guarantee. Yesterday, I received my cabin assignment and it was 3 categories higher than what I booked. That was an upgrade because it didn't cost me any money. And, of course, I'm very happy with that :)

Hapy Sailing!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/richardsjlsg

thanks for the update and I saw those pictures...that's beautiful. I already have the penthouse suite now but was curious about the owners suite. I cannot wait!:D

thanks again for your assistance

My understanding is the NCL has a formula by which it offers upsells. It is some combination of your standing as a Latitudes member (repeat NCL cruiser) and how much you paid for your current room. It may also factor in whether your current room category is selling out fast/in demand, so it is easier for them to resell if you take the upsell.

Depending on the difference between what NCL offered you vs. what it would be if you booked it outright, I say go for it!!! Also, do a search on the NCL boards for "Dawn" and you can read many reviews. A few of them were in AA's. Also, hit www.webshots.com and do a search on "NCL Dawn" and you'll see some pictures of AA's.

Happy Sailing!!! :D

This is what I've learned today and would like to share it with the board. I called my TA today to inquire about upsell she said after spending 2 hours waiting for NCl to pick up, they indicated that the upsell is offered to passengers who book their cruise without selecting a cabin. I for one, always book and select the cabin I want.

Therefore, I will not be getting a call.:(

Hope this helps anyone that needs to know this.

This is what I've learned today and would like to share it with the board. I called my TA today to inquire about upsell she said after spending 2 hours waiting for NCl to pick up, they indicated that the upsell is offered to passengers who book their cruise without selecting a cabin. I for one, always book and select the cabin I want.

Therefore, I will not be getting a call.:(

Hope this helps anyone that needs to know this.

I am sorry to say this:o but your TA is wrong.

I agree always book the cabin you want. Perhaps she got confused with UPGRADE?? that is on a guarantee (not selecting a cabin). I get calls for upsells all of the time that is, paying a good price for a better cabin.

I called NCL at least 6 times today and the hold time was less then one min.:confused:

My understanding is the NCL has a formula by which it offers upsells. It is some combination of your standing as a Latitudes member (repeat NCL cruiser) and how much you paid for your current room. It may also factor in whether your current room category is selling out fast/in demand, so it is easier for them to resell if you take the upsell.

Got a call the other day for an upsell for a client.............this is their first cruise, EVER:eek: .........so go figure.

It is a crap shoot..........no rhyme or reason.

Someone gave your TA the wrong info.

We have received two upsells, both from mini-suites that we chose.

The first usell was for our first cruise with NCL (and we used a TA for that booking). The second time we booked directly with NCL. We never called NCL for an upsell or to let them know that we would be interested in an upsell.

I have a hunch that among their criteria are: Popularity of cabin that you are originally booked in (mini-suites are extremely popular) and how early you booked (in our case, about a year in advance). These are just guesses; I've never asked.

Upsell, upgrade whatever is correct I don’t know. What I do know is every time I cruise I have my TA call that cruise line about 2 week before the cruise and find out what upgrades they are offering. If the cruise is sold out, I’m out of luck. But most of the time for about $100pp you can move up a cabin grade or 2. Some cruise lines charge $100 pp for each level. I have been on 20 cruises and I have them call every time. We are traveling on the dawn this Sunday, we booked AF. this past Monday my TA called and had 2 offers for me. One was to AA for $750 pp the other was $100 pp to AC. I have not cruised NCL for over 10 years but had cruised them 5 times prior. I also think it’s the TA or cruise agent that has some pull. Trina had good advice for me this time. Check other on line travel sites see what’s available. That will give you a good idea if an upgrade/ upsell is Imminent. Good luck. Ben

• 1 year later...

That is good advice. I did just that and just paid $78 pp more for an upgrade from a BD to an AG. That's a 4 category jump! :D I booked my May trip back in August and have been watching the prices online since and saw that the guarantee mini suites had gone down considerably. I am hoping for an upsell call, I dream of a penthouse suite...in the meantime, I'll be checking until our departure date...

OP, no one seems to really know who gets offered upgrades or called about upsells, like Seahorse said, it may happen on your first sailing with NCl or maybe never. One thing, it does appear if you have discounted rates like a military, union or interline, your chances are less of being offered a better cabin. And now to Cruiser#5, I don't know anything about your TA, but like Seahorse pointed out, she is referring to a guaranteed cabin and this has little to do with upsells or upgrades, especially upsells. I am not saying she wasn't on hold for 2 hours, but I have to question why she would wait that long. I know I am too busy to be kept on hold just to ask a question about upsells. I may not call NCL as often as Seahorse, but never, except duing the Katrina mess have I even been on hold more than a few minutes. I hope you know and trust your TA. NMnita

cruiser#5, it doesn't make any difference who you book through or how many times you have cruised a particular cruise line; upgrades and upsells (2 different things) seem to have no rhyme or reason. Booking a guaranteed cabin has nothing to do with it either. About the only think I call say with some certainly, normally those on discounted rates like Military, Interline, Union, etc are the last to get upgrades.

Like Seahorse memtioned I think your travel agent got back advise if indeed she was told what you repeated to you. As for a 2 hour wait, I don't know about her, but I can guarantee I am way to busy to wait 2 hours to ask a question about upgrades, especially when it is something I really should know. With the exception of the hurricane season 2 years ago I don't think I have been on hold for more than 10 minutes with any cruiseline.

I certainly hope you know and trust your travel agent. She seems to have a little different information than some of us. NMnita

have booked and fully paid or POH cruise 5/14/2007. We chose a mni-suite 11536 deck 11. Received our documents yesterday. Aked TA to check what upsell were available came back to us with a Penthouse suite, which she ofered to us for A$860 each, total of A$1720. We thought that was a bit over priced so declined. Do you think we could approch NCL direct or do we atill have to go through TA. Appreciate any advice anyone has to ofer.:D

have booked and fully paid or POH cruise 5/14/2007. We chose a mni-suite 11536 deck 11. Received our documents yesterday. Aked TA to check what upsell were available came back to us with a Penthouse suite, which she ofered to us for A$860 each, total of A$1720. We thought that was a bit over priced so declined. Do you think we could approch NCL direct or do we atill have to go through TA. Appreciate any advice anyone has to ofer.:D

We booked a AC Penthouse on the Pride of Aloha directly thru NCL, 4 weeks before sailing we received an upsell offer for a AA Owners Suite for $1,000 ($500 pp), I declined and told the agent I would consider for $600 ($300 pp), she said there's only 1 left sorry (I told here to note my request just in case).

Received the call 2 weeks prior to sailing (Already had our doc's), offered the AA Owners Suite for $600 ($300 pp), viewed the Na Pali Coast and Volcano in our Hot tub on deck. :D

If you booked with a TA, I doubt NCL will talk to you directly. They will probably tell you to call your TA since that is who you booked with.

1. I think that's too high a price too. If you're patient and no one else takes it, your TA might be called again with a lower offer. We turned down the first two offers, but leaped on the last minute third one to move from an aft AF, which we would have been perfectly happy with, to an A4 on PoH in December. The first offer would have cost us almost $2000 total. Much to dear a price--that's practically another cruise in a balcony. I'm almost embarrassed to tell you that the final offer was $300 p/p--to actually pay the difference would have been $2000 p/p, and that was after the lowered the fare by 25%. I think the A4's are the last to go because they are the smallest and lowest level suite with the courtyard. Also, it was a really "off" week between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I will keep thinking good thoughts for your TA to get a call with a better offer!

2. You have to go through your TA. The cruise line considers your booking "owned and managed" by your TA. (However, if you have serious problems with a TA, they will talk to pax. But in this case, your TA is doing her job, so no NCL won't talk to you.)

3. Even if you could talk to NCL, they've moved on to the next pax on the list. Now, if no one takes the offer, your TA might get that next call. The other thing your TA can do, if she's willing, is to return the call to NCL and counter offer. The worst that the cruise line can do is say no, and sometimes they do say yes. Figure out your maximum comfort zone where you feel the cost would be worth it. Ask your TA to negotiate if possible. Can't hurt.

DH and I had already decided that $300 p/p was our absolute maximum for the A4. (It was also the price of the first offer from AF to AE, which we felt was too much money for the difference. That's just us, many others would have snapped up the AE at that price.) We knew we had no reasonable expectation of getting that upsell price to the Courtyard Villa, but it made it easy when that third call came (14 days before our cruise). I spoke with the "last minute" upsell rep. She looked at our booking (which was already a really discounted Senior rate) and came up with their "best and final" offer of $300 p/p. I didn't have to talk to DH or do any "thinking" about it. I said, "Yes. Do it; do it now." Yippee! (I'm a tad spoiled now though and DH's first words as he sank into the balcony chaise were, "A week isn't going to be nearly long enough to enjoy this!");)

4. At the risk of repeating myself, I really will keep those good upsell vibes headed your way. PoH is a really nice ship, and the full-suite pax get many lovely perks.:D

Hope your cruise is delightful.

beachchick

One thing, it does appear if you have discounted rates like a military, union or interline, your chances are less of being offered a better cabin.

In my case this was not true. In addition to the latitudes discount, I also used my union discount. I was offered an upsell two days after final payment.

I'm not sure whether my situation was unique because I had booked a back to back on the Spirit and both my wife and my birthdays occur during the 14 days as the reason for being offered an upsell. Maybe our reservation stood out like a soar thumb.

We went from a balcony cabin to the AB Honeymoon Suite for $700 total for the 14 days which figures out to $50 a day more than what we had paid for the balcony. I had to jump at the chance but now will be disapppinted if I don't get the same upsell opportunity on the next cruise I take with NCL.

In my case this was not true. In addition to the latitudes discount, I also used my union discount. I was offered an upsell two days after final payment.

I'm not sure whether my situation was unique because I had booked a back to back on the Spirit and both my wife and my birthdays occur during the 14 days as the reason for being offered an upsell. Maybe our reservation stood out like a soar thumb.

We went from a balcony cabin to the AB Honeymoon Suite for $700 total for the 14 days which figures out to $50 a day more than what we had paid for the balcony. I had to jump at the chance but now will be disapppinted if I don't get the same upsell opportunity on the next cruise I take with NCL.

I wasn't referring to latitude but was the others. I didn't mean in all cases, that is why I mentioned less likely and yes, you are less likely to get upgraded on discounts, especially the bigger discount prices like military and interline, but in any case, I am happy you did get a great deal: disappointed I know what you mean. For us, it has been conceirge service we have received for no apparent reason. When we don't get it or something in our cabin I get a little pouty for a day or so. LOL

Archived