main electrical transformers malfunctioning on carnival pride

beberenn

Transformers rarely malfunction unless struck by lightning or other mishap. Do you believe the transformer is at fault or other equipment, perhaps the frequency inverter which is much more apt to fail. Do the cruise lines usually make public the exact cause of such issues or kinda hide the real problem.

You are most likely correct that the frequency drive is at fault. These do normally have a water cooled air circulation, so there may be a problem there. Could also be a circuit breaker problem. And no, they will tend to give a generic description, rather than get into the details. Not really hiding the problem, just not going too technical, like I'm prone to do.

Edited by chengkp75

Especially if you have never been to Charleston, like us. Makes me want to book this cruise just for this itinerary.

Yeah,me too.I have never been to Charleston. Maybe they should stop at Charleston on a regular schedule.People like to have different ports,the same ones get pretty boring sometimes.

Laura

You are most likely correct that the frequency drive is at fault. These do normally have a water cooled air circulation, so there may be a problem there. Could also be a circuit breaker problem. And no, they will tend to give a generic description, rather than get into the details. Not really hiding the problem, just not going too technical, like I'm prone to do.

All of this talk about electricity and water cooling makes me worry about the possibility of fire? I am sure they would not send a ship out that was dangerous, but it still worries me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

All of this talk about electricity and water cooling makes me worry about the possibility of fire? I am sure they would not send a ship out that was dangerous, but it still worries me.

Don't worry, the heat exchanger where the circulating air is cooled has a leak detector in it that would sound an alarm before the fresh water would get to the transformer. Believe me, when you're dealing with 10,000 volts, safety is paramount.

Don't worry, the heat exchanger where the circulating air is cooled has a leak detector in it that would sound an alarm before the fresh water would get to the transformer. Believe me, when you're dealing with 10,000 volts, safety is paramount.

Lol, I feel better now! Thanks

Just got off the Pride this morning...now sitting in the BWI airport...waiting for flight home. We got an extra hour in Half Moon Cay...and yeah...we missed Freeport...but the OBC and 25 percent off a future cruise was more than fair...the crew was fab...and we had a great week. It beat a cold week at home in Kentucky. We used the OBC to go to the steakhouse :). I would do the Grand Turk/ Half Moon Cay itinerary again. Of all our Carnival cruises...this crew on the Pride has to be the friendliest.

Glad you had a good time on the Pride!

What time did the ship dock this morning?

Guessing it docked around 7ish, wasnt paying too close attention. We walked off the ship at 7:52

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

I think it was before 8... We were walking off around 8...we did self assist. We thought we'd be early ones getting off...and there were quite a few off before us. We had been worried about making an early afternoon flight out of BWI. Easy off the ship and through customs. Easy taxi ride to BWI...security line LONG. So...now waiting...but that's fine. And for the folks who have a stop in Charleston this week...we visit there at least once a year for vacation ...it's a lovely town...with plenty to do...great food, fabulous shopping...and great history.

As one of the cruisers on the original 3/23 sailing that lost power for two hours, I can honestly say that I would not hesitate to take another cruise on the Pride. We only lost power for two hours, the seas were fairly calm (think of the feeling of being on a fishing boat on a lake), and the crew did a marvelous job of keeping us informed of the situation and continuing to serve and entertain us during the two hours that the power was out. By the next day, we had almost completely forgotten about the situation and continued to have a great cruise.

I'm actually jealous of those who are getting a 25% future cruise credit as a result of missing Freeport. I would gladly take that deal as there isn't much to see or do in Freeport anyway. Those who are getting a stop in Charleston have an added bonus.

Just got off the Pride this morning...now sitting in the BWI airport...waiting for flight home. We got an extra hour in Half Moon Cay...and yeah...we missed Freeport...but the OBC and 25 percent off a future cruise was more than fair...the crew was fab...and we had a great week. It beat a cold week at home in Kentucky. We used the OBC to go to the steakhouse :). I would do the Grand Turk/ Half Moon Cay itinerary again. Of all our Carnival cruises...this crew on the Pride has to be the friendliest.

we were on the same cruise and agree 100%

I was on this sailing too - just off the Pride today. We were a little disappointed to miss a port but the OBC and 25% off made us very happy! Also... The cruise director we had for this cruise, Calvyn, was awesome. Absolutely had us rolling every time he spoke. He said it was his first time as cruise director and he did an amazing job and made this trip for us. The whole crew was wonderful. We had Yasa in the dining room and he was fantastic!

So... Although we would have liked to visit Freeport, this cruise was in no way ruined and we had a great time!