Is my onboard alcohol info correct?

BODICERIPPER

:)

I've noticed that the Disney cruises don't offer alcohol packages as such. For instance, other cruise lines give passengers large name tags that most folks wear on lanyards around their necks, and the different types/colours of the name tags indicate the extra packages that the individual passengers have purchased prior to boarding. For my last cruise I had purchased a rather "generous" alcohol package, and my name tag reflected that by its design. So whenever I ordered alcohol, the server just "swiped" my badge, and voila, no charge...sort of. It was very (too!) convenient. :D

Am I correct in assuming that Disney does not offer similar alcohol packages? If not, can you pay for alcohol beverages by using your name tag as you can on some other cruise lines? Can it be "swiped" and the charge just shows up on your final bill when the cruise is over?

I've read that individual passengers are otherwise allowed to bring a limited amount of alcohol on board, best kept in their carry-on luggage upon embarkation, to be drank in their stateroom only ;), and no large coolers are allowed (just small medicine coolers).

Have I got the correct information so far? Anything I should be aware of?

Edited by BODICERIPPER

Everything purchased on board is handled by swiping your Key to the World card. No cash is used on the ship other than if you choose to pay tips that way. So yes, swipe card and it shows up on final bill.

DCL offers 2 different wine packages. The servers will be happy to show you these after boarding and the package will be charged to your card. These involve wines in the dining rooms, not drinks around the ship.

You may bring on board any alcohol you choose provided it is in your carry on bags (not "best," but required). Yes, officially beverages brought on are to be consumed in you stateroom. However, no one will question a glass that you are carrying.

No coolers at all other than those needed for meds (and these can be inspected). If not containing meds, they will be held at the terminal and you can pick it up after you cruise.

Maybe I'm wrong but the sign at security at the terminal said no weapons or alcohol.

And you, theshowmestate, as a past cruiser should be familiar with the website?

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/?CMP=KAC-DCLUKDCLFY11Q1UKFY11Search0003A&gclid=CPCCoOqfyL0CFUTHtAodzFcAfA

Where it is CLEARLY stated that on the FAQ pages that alcohol is permitted to be brought aboard by over 21's, however Weapons and firearms (including ammunition, knives—including dive knives—swords, daggers or any other types of weapons) are not allowed onboard under any circumstances?:

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/planning-center/my-cruise-plans/faqs/prohibited-items/prohibited-items/

And just under that section:

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/planning-center/my-cruise-plans/faqs/prohibited-items/alcohol-onboard/

While adult Guests ages 21 and older may bring alcohol onboard, the following guidelines apply:

Alcohol brought on board may not be consumed in any lounge or public area.

Guests who arrive in the dining room with a bottle of champagne or wine that has been brought on board will be charged a corking fee of $20.00 per bottle.

Beverages must be packed in your carry-on bag—which must not exceed 22 inches wide, 14 inches high and 9 inches deep in dimension

Coolers filled with personal items (e.g. soda, alcohol, chips, candy, etc.) may not be brought on board.

ex techie

I've noticed that the Disney cruises don't offer alcohol packages as such. For instance, other cruise lines give passengers large name tags that most folks wear on lanyards around their necks, and the different types/colours of the name tags indicate the extra packages that the individual passengers have purchased prior to boarding. For my last cruise I had purchased a rather "generous" alcohol package, and my name tag reflected that by its design. So whenever I ordered alcohol, the server just "swiped" my badge, and voila, no charge...sort of. It was very (too!) convenient. :D

Am I correct in assuming that Disney does not offer similar alcohol packages? If not, can you pay for alcohol beverages by using your name tag as you can on some other cruise lines? Can it be "swiped" and the charge just shows up on your final bill when the cruise is over?

I've read that individual passengers are otherwise allowed to bring a limited amount of alcohol on board, best kept in their carry-on luggage upon embarkation, to be drank in their stateroom only ;), and no large coolers are allowed (just small medicine coolers).

Have I got the correct information so far? Anything I should be aware of?

Your thinking things like RCI offer, DCL do not offer those type of packages, they tend to get cruisers drinking to get their money's worth and that causes issues.

Sent from my iPad.

Thanks for all of the info! Disney cruisers know their stuff!

I've been searching the Disney cruise site, and I'm not seeing any limits on how much alcohol each passenger is allowed to bring on board at embarkation.

- I would think that the amount would be limited to one bottle of alcohol or a 6-pack of beer?

- OR is the amount of alcohol that one person is allowed to bring on board limited only by how much alcohol each person wants to place into their carry-on luggage, as long as that luggage is within the allowable dimensions?

- And are the numbers of how many pieces of carry-on luggage determined only by how many pieces that one person can carry?

Jeepers...I'm sounding a tad alcohol obsessed with all of these questions! I'm really not...really! :D

Edited by BODICERIPPER

I've been searching the Disney cruise site, and I'm not seeing any limits on how much alcohol each passenger is allowed to bring on board at embarkation.

- I would think that the amount would be limited to one bottle of alcohol or a 6-pack of beer?

- OR is the amount of alcohol that one person is allowed to bring on board limited only by how much alcohol each person wants to place into their carry-on luggage, as long as that luggage is within the allowable dimensions?

- And are the numbers of how many pieces of carry-on luggage determined only by how many pieces that one person can carry?

:D

There is no limit to the amount of alcohol an adult can bring on (or water or soft drinks!) The limit is how much a guest wants to carry. Many put their liquids in rolling bags (not coolers) in order to make the carrying a bit easier.

There is no limit to the number of carry on bags, although the size is limited to those pieces that will fit thru the scanner. However, remember that your cabin will not be ready until 1:30. Until that time, you will be "lugging" the carry on bags.

You can also purchase beverages in port and bring them on--same rules. The ship will not accept deliveries for guests. Thus, you must carry the item from the store to the ship and on board. If your first port happens to be Key West, it is relatively easy and convenient to stock up on any forgotten items at the CVS (a couple blocks from the port area...turn left when exiting the port).

Jeepers...I'm sounding a tad alcohol obsessed with all of these questions! I'm really not...really! :D

I realize the DCL alcohol policy seems pretty relaxed compared to other cruise lines, so no worries about asking for clarification.

We cruised on the Disney Dream last Sept and brought a standard 21" wheeled case (like what you'd take on a plane for carry-on luggage) filled with gin, tonic water, rum, red wine & bottled water for 4 adults. We went to the buffet to eat until our cabin was ready, so it wasn't a hassle to drag the suitcase around.

We brought insulated mugs (from WDW resorts) with us to be not so in your face with what was in our mugs. Plus, the insulated mugs kept our beverages colder longer. We made friends with two of the bartenders who would give us limes at the end of the night (they were going to throw them out anyway). We kept the lime slices in our cabin fridge and had fresh limes to squeeze into our gin and tonics. I tipped the bartenders out in cash (in addition to standard gratuities) at the end of the cruise.

DCL also sells a refillable glass beer mug. It makes a nice souvenir.

Edited by Got2GoGo

Gee, sorry ex-techie.

We did successfully get our opened, in a plastic bag bottle into our suitcase which was then checked by the porters or whatever you call them outside and it arrived to our room just fine and we used it to toast the sail away.

Just remember, if the bottle breaks and ruins anyone else's luggage (and yes, broken glass v. plastic isn't even close) YOU are responsible for the damage cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was in the ladies room in an airport last week and a woman was freaking out because a bottle of red wine had broken in her luggage, and was seeping out all over the floor. I'm sure it must have also gotten onto other peoples bags. Yet she was more concerned about her own belongings being ruined. I wanted to say, "Stupid is as stupid does" but thought better and just kept walking. The drops of wine led from the gate area through the terminal and into the bathroom where there was a pool of wine forming. Of course she was blaming the luggage handlers. :rolleyes:

So here is what I learned from my cruise last month. You can really pack a carryon with nothing but alcohol. Nobody cares. They say you have to keep it in your stateroom. We used insulated cups and mixed with the soft drinks from the fountains. We also had room service bring a pitcher of cranberry and pineapple juice, and had them bring a bucket of ice daily.

They are EXTREMELY lax about their "in the stateroom" rule. The first day we were sitting by the goofy pool and saw a couple guys on the other side with a soft sided cooler full of bud lights and ice AND a bottle of Jack sitting right in the middle of it! I was not that brazen, but apparently, its not a big deal.

So here is what I learned from my cruise last month. You can really pack a carryon with nothing but alcohol. Nobody cares. They say you have to keep it in your stateroom. We used insulated cups and mixed with the soft drinks from the fountains. We also had room service bring a pitcher of cranberry and pineapple juice, and had them bring a bucket of ice daily.

They are EXTREMELY lax about their "in the stateroom" rule. The first day we were sitting by the goofy pool and saw a couple guys on the other side with a soft sided cooler full of bud lights and ice AND a bottle of Jack sitting right in the middle of it! I was not that brazen, but apparently, its not a big deal.

Unfortunately this type of passenger seems to be the impetus for DCL to reconsider their alcohol position now and then.

This, combined with intoxicated behavior is what caused us to all have to deal with the "no cooler" policy.

Yes, they are lax, and no one will ever question you carrying around a glass of whatever. Personal opinion--don't push it. There is NO limit to the amount you can bring on. However, certain types of behavior result in a visit from security.

This' date=' combined with intoxicated behavior is what caused us to all have to deal with the "no cooler" policy.

Yes, they are lax, and no one will ever question you carrying around a glass of whatever. Personal opinion--don't push it. There is NO limit to the amount you can bring on. However, certain types of behavior result in a visit from security.[/quote']

So it's okay to break the rules a little...but not too much? :confused:

We all know some guests break the rules.:rolleyes:

However, if the rules get broken or taken advantage of to much, DCL will likely reconsider their policy. :mad:

I do believe we all would like to keep this nice little perk!;)

The bottom line is simply, don't break the rules!:D

AKK

However' date=' if the rules get broken or taken advantage of to much, DCL will likely reconsider their policy. :mad:

AKK[/quote']

Yup!

So it's okay to break the rules a little...but not too much? :confused:

I didn't address the ethics of breaking the rules, only that no CM will question origin of the contents of a glass that a guest might be carrying around. Whether you choose to do this or not is a personal matter.

Frankly, I consider it to be not worthwhile to bring alcohol on board. If I want it, I can purchase it on the ship. I've also been the "victim" of a bottle in someone's suitcase--fortunately or not, on the way home from a cruise. Thus, I tend to be quite adamant in reiterating the "carry on only" rule.

What others do with DCL rules is between them and DCL. But, blatant violation of rules may result in loss of the ability to bring on the beverages for all. And it may ultimately apply to all beverages (water, soft drinks, etc).

Before someone asks, the reason one might bring soft drinks on board is that they may prefer a product other than those available at the beverage station.

I didn't address the ethics of breaking the rules' date=' only that no CM will question origin of the contents of a glass that a guest might be carrying around. Whether you choose to do this or not is a personal matter.

Frankly, I consider it to be not worthwhile to bring alcohol on board. If I want it, I can purchase it on the ship. I've also been the "victim" of a bottle in someone's suitcase--fortunately or not, on the way home from a cruise. Thus, I tend to be quite adamant in reiterating the "carry on only" rule.

What others do with DCL rules is between them and DCL. But, blatant violation of rules may result in loss of the ability to bring on the beverages for all. And it may ultimately apply to all beverages (water, soft drinks, etc).

Before someone asks, the reason one might bring soft drinks on board is that they may prefer a product other than those available at the beverage station.[/quote']

Those of us who bring wine on board do so for the same reason. By the way, we do check cases of wine on planes. However we use the styropack shippers made specifically for the purpose of shipping wine. I have had hundreds of cases of wine shipped to me in these boxes over the years, and have never had a single mishap--nor do I know anyone who has (except a few instances of pilferage). These boxes and their fitted foam inserts are the only way I ever check or ship wine, the only time I've put a bottle in my checked bag is when it's been inside a single bottle styropack shipper in my suitcase.

I will be checking my WineCheck (with the styropack shipper inside) on my way to LA in a couple of weeks as I am bringing wine to a couple of events I'll be attending out there. The styropack shipper also helps keep the wine temperature controlled in transit--I usually slip some cold packs around the bottle necks just in case.

I'm going to check out those individual wine shipper containers for my carry-on luggage. They sound like a great invention! Thank you for the tip!

:D

Check with a local wine shop that ships, they should be willing to sell you one for $5 or so.

However' date=' if the rules get broken or taken advantage of to much, DCL will likely reconsider their policy. :mad:

AKK[/quote']

They already did. About a year ago they announced that alcohol would be limited to two bottles of wine per adult. The DCL fans on the Internet exploded in outrage and the new policy was rescinded but they got their point across. Follow the rules or you'll lose the privelege.

They already did. About a year ago they announced that alcohol would be limited to two bottles of wine per adult. The DCL fans on the Internet exploded in outrage and the new policy was rescinded but they got their point across. Follow the rules or you'll lose the privelege.

In September, 2011 they said no alcohol, and we were really pissed. We were two weeks before our cruise and one reason we chose to spend the $$ on DCL was the ability to bring on wine from our collection. We felt very, very strongly that they needed to make that change prior to accepting bookings. Had it been two bottles per person, no problem. We were only on a three day.