Late May Tracy Arm on the Zaandam question.

Bean na mara

After searching the boards I have found the answers to most of my questions but am still "fuzzY" on a few...

I realize that May can be iffy for cruising the Tracy Arm due to ice and that sometimes full transit is not possible (or at all ) but my question is what happens in its place? There was one thread that mentioned Endicott Arm as a replacement but I was not sure if that was on HAL or an other line. As our itinerary has us doing a full day scenic cruising on May 27th , if the weather or ice doesn't allow us the go there, where do we go?

And on the same topic..If we get part way to the end and need to turn back, what then? A S-L-O-W cruise to the next port?

Not getting fussed about this, just wondering :D Thanks

Hi

went to tracy arm and (2011) we were not able to go all the way through I was there in June. all I can say I hate tears in my ears at the beauty, the ice, the animals oh I can,t really explain the beauty. there was so much ice the ship slowed down and you could hear the ice rubbing against the ship.

I went a year later and no ice but we went all the way in. Its just wonderful.

I have traveled all over the US and Europe and other places I will remember my first trip tp tracy arm my whole life

Mary

Spazzsmom, since Tracy Arm is a fjord, everyone can only get so far before they have to turn around and go out. Sometimes, especially earlier in the season, there are ice floes blocking the way to the Sawyer Glaciers, and you don't get to see one or both of them. Later in the season you can more likely get all the way to the glaciers before you have to turn around.

But the purpose of Tracy Arm is more scenic cruising than Glacier viewing. You will most likely get at least part way, and then head to your next port. Are you going to Juneau later in the day?

If Tracy Arm is so totally blocked that the ship can't get up at all, the Captain will do his best to make whatever alternate plans are possible, and then that will be announced.

OP, usually Endicott Arm is subbed for Tracy Arm if ice conditions warrant it. We too are going in May and expect that there's a good chance we won't be getting into Tracy Arm. We were there in September one year and the ice then was heavy enough to keep us from getting close to the glacier. We DID get almost to the end of the fjord, we could see the glacier, but the ice was too heavy to really get up to the face. Ice can be problematic throughout the season. It just depends, y'know?

If you do get into Tracy Arm, I hope you think it as beautiful as we did :)

Thanks everyone for your replies...must research Endicott Arm just in case! I know I will be awed by the beauty of Alaska where ever we cruise to. Thanks again. I am always grateful for the wealth of info I have found on this site. About 6 more weeks to go so I am sure I'll be back asking something else.:D Spazzsmom

Me again..Sorry I missed replying to Ruth C's question. Tracy Arm is listed as cruising from 7am to 4pm (give or take) then the next day we sail to Ketchikan (1000am to 6pm) Though it is still weeks away, I have to admit to starting my "What to take" list and have all my travel/stateroom stuff ready to go. My DH says I'm a tad obsessive this time:confused: