Paying in euro is this price difference normal and legal

angelman

NCL currency exchange rip-off is it legal?

While shopping for a cruise on the ncl.co.uk site I decided to check the same cruise on the ncl.eu site and wow what a difference for the same cabin on the same cruise there is a whopping €628 in the difference for the cheapest inside midship cabin for two adults and that’s after converting at today’s official currency exchange rate, is this even legal and is there no body that monitors this stuff?

For a balcony cabin the difference is €1.867.00 after the official exchange rate is taken into account! £1068.00 verses €3158.00 on ncl.eu and ncl.de and €3258.00 on ncl.it.eu (Italian)

I looked at an Alaska 10 night cruise for 2 adults on the Norwegian Pearl from 8th – 18th May departing from Vancouver.

I have actually booked and paid in full at time of booking for this cruise on the ncl.co.uk site for £1058 for an ocean view cabin, less than 48 hours later the same cruise that I booked was on-sale for £958 and a balcony cabin was £1088.

I phoned NCL.UK 4 days after booking and asked if I could pay the price difference between what I had already paid and the new sale price for a balcony. I was told I had two choices- to cancel and pay a 50% penalty of £529 and make a new booking or pay £300 extra on top of what was online as what was on the system that the customer service agent had in front of them was not the same as I was looking at online, yet I was told I could go through the online booking process and get the cruise at the online price that I was looking at (which would mean me double booking the same cruise for myself!).

While I was researching online what others did in this situation I came across a “Best Price Guarantee” by NCL and was directed to their ncl.com site. This Best Price Guarantee is not clearly visible on any of the other sites and I only found it on Google and not on any NCL site. I have submitted an online form in relation to the best price guarantee and am awaiting a response,

I believe the price differences are NOT due to currency conversion other than some normal service charge - a few percent maybe?

There are different laws on what is required of travel companies in different companies. Also different rules as to cancel and refund.

For example, when the airlines could not fly from some countries a few years ago due to the Volcano issue - the airlines had to actually spend money to put people in hotels, etc. If you were a U.S. based customer - it was tough luck, other than getting your airfare back. Stuck in an expensive New York City hotel? Your problem. Stuck in certain European countries and the airline has to eat it.

So, fares are a reflection.

And, not sure, but some countries include the DSC in the fare.

Edited by garycarla

I booked this cruise and my last one on the Uk site from Ireland also, and i will never book with UK sited even saving money as once you book with UK ncl you enter a price lock and prices, offers etc cant be adjusted. Anymore i will book on the us site.

I believe the price differences are NOT due to currency conversion other than some normal service charge - a few percent maybe?

There are different laws on what is required of travel companies in different companies. Also different rules as to cancel and refund.

For example, when the airlines could not fly from some countries a few years ago due to the Volcano issue - the airlines had to actually spend money to put people in hotels, etc. If you were a U.S. based customer - it was tough luck, other than getting your airfare back. Stuck in an expensive New York City hotel? Your problem. Stuck in certain European countries and the airline has to eat it.

So, fares are a reflection.

And, not sure, but some countries include the DSC in the fare.

There are lots of travel company's that operate in both Ireland and uk and they do not have such high price differences for the same product, even allowing for the inclusion of DSC, nearly 2k in difference is a bit suspect !

NCL currency exchange rip-off is it legal?

While shopping for a cruise on the ncl.co.uk site I decided to check the same cruise on the ncl.eu site and wow what a difference for the same cabin on the same cruise there is a whopping €628 in the difference for the cheapest inside midship cabin for two adults and that’s after converting at today’s official currency exchange rate, is this even legal and is there no body that monitors this stuff?

While the price differences between different market areas can be frustrating sometimes, it is definitely not a rip-off. The exactly same happens with many other goods and services also and companies are free to price their products however they want. You have the choice of buying what they are selling for the price they ask or not - nobody is forcing you to purchase anything if you feel that the price is not right.

Being an educated consumer helps a lot. Few years before I found CC I had booked a NCL cruise through a local TA but had to cancel and luckily got all my deposits back (bought the cruise as a part of complete package with flights and hotel so if I remember correctly, that helps with Finnish legistlation). Few years later I read here about the fact that you can also book directly via US office for (in most cases) a lot less than the European price is, so all NCL cruises I've actually taken haven been booked either through NCL in US directly or via a TA in US.

Edited by Demonyte

I live in Europe myself, but I always book/pay my cruises in US dollars through the American website. I have an American based NCL personal cruise consultant (PCC) that I have had since before the two markets (American and European) were divided online by NCL, so I see no reason to change her in for somebody in Europe who would force me to pay in Euros....

Since the regular prices in the US are lower than regular prices in Western Europe - that difference also shows in cruise rates. Americans are usually not willing to pay as much as Europeans for a cruise vacation - and the result is that even though we are only 2 persons, we actually save a few hundred $$$ on every cruise we book.

One other reason they still let us "keep" our American based PCC instead of an European one, is that we always purchase cruise rewards on a cruise to have as deposit for our next cruise. And the cruise reward has to be purchased in the currency you paid your cruise in, and can only be used as deposit on a future cruise that is booked in the same currency. Meaning that all our cruise rewards have been in US dollars, and therefore the future cruises we use them on also have to be paid in US dollars.....:p

Edited by TrumpyNOR

I live in Europe myself, but I always book/pay my cruises in US dollars through the American website. I have an American based NCL personal cruise consultant (PCC) that I have had since before the two markets (American and European) were divided online by NCL, so I see no reason to change her in for somebody in Europe who would force me to pay in Euros....

Since the regular prices in the US are lower than regular prices in Western Europe - that difference also shows in cruise rates. Americans are usually not willing to pay as much as Europeans for a cruise vacation - and the result is that even though we are only 2 persons, we actually save a few hundred $$$ on every cruise we book.

One other reason they still let us "keep" our American based PCC instead of an European one, is that we always purchase cruise rewards on a cruise to have as deposit for our next cruise. And the cruise reward has to be purchased in the currency you paid your cruise in, and can only be used as deposit on a future cruise that is booked in the same currency. Meaning that all our cruise rewards have been in US dollars, and therefore the future cruises we use them on also have to be paid in US dollars.....:p

We usually book through our US based PCC but our next cruise was booked through NCL UK as it was much cheaper. Also, we paid the £ deposit with a $ Cruise Reward - they use a standard conversion rate.

We usually book through our US based PCC but our next cruise was booked through NCL UK as it was much cheaper. Also, we paid the £ deposit with a $ Cruise Reward - they use a standard conversion rate.

Thank you for that information - it is good to know. It is 5-6 years since my PCC told me I had to book the new cruise in the same currency as the cruise reward was purchased in, so they have probably changed the "rules" since then (and that is great!).

Another vote here for booking through the US site, but I do check the UK and EU sites for prices if I am booking last minute. For cruises a long time out, like before final payment date, I always book US to get the price drops and offers.

I knew none of this when I joined Cruise Critic before my first cruise. I have learned a huge amount since then and some of it saved me tons of money over the years. There is much to learn when you are new.

It's pretty much the same with all the lines. At least NCL will let you book via US, some of the other lines do contortions to prevent you getting the US price.

Actually I had a huge problem getting to the American NCL web page earlier, no matter what browser I used it redirected me to ncl.eu (the European web site). I finally found a solution to the problem by saving one of the web-links posted on NCL FaceBook. Since they are American, I saved the link to my favorites and now I use two different links for US and EU.

I usually book via a travel agent.

I would tell them "look, this is what the cruise website or major search engine is offering, tell me why I should book through you instead?" I would get between bottle of wine/champagne and OBC.

I received $200 OBC from my travel agent for my Grand Med cruise in Sept and paid the same price as what NCL site offered.

I booked a future cruise on board Celebrity and was offered $125 OBC and unlimited beverage for two. I transferred the booking to my travel agent and she's giving me additional $100 OBC.

Even on a 3 day cruise to the Bahamas where the fare was already way reduced ($129 for inside?), I was given a bottle of wine just to keep my business.

Just ask ask ask ... the worst they'll say is no. But staying loyal to one travel agent has its rewards.

Edited by aSiAnRiCk