To Tender or Not

Floridastorm

Do the cruise ships sometimes change their itinerary from docking at the pier to tendering? I notice on the Veendam May 1st Ft. Lauderdale to Quebec City that there are now two tendering ports, Gloucester and Bar Harbor. Originally tendering was only for Bar Harbor. I would imagine if there was bad weather at sea the ship may not want to tie up at the pier. But this is 3 weeks before departure. Please enlighten me, if you will.

Maybe someone will know the specifics for your cruise, I don't. However, I have been on a number of cruises where one or more ports changed from tender to dock or vice versa, as close as a day or two before the port. I would guess one of the real possibilities is damage to the pier or pier area due to storms or the heavy snow they received this winter Once in awhile another ship (freight or passenger) has priority for some reason, sometimes the reason remains unknown. I do believe that I have had more changes to docking from tender than the other way.

In my experience the changes are most likely in smaller ports, and Gloucester certainly meets that category.

My experience matches cruz chic. Having been to both ports several times they were tender ports in each instance.

Only once in 15 HAL cruises did we have a port change from docking to tendering, and we didn't know that until about an hour before scheduled docking. Another ship was unexpectedly occupying what was supposed to be our berth at St Lucia.

Actually, in the original itinerary on HAL's website, Gloucester was not listed as a tendering port. Maybe they caught their mistake and rectified it. Does not bother me if it's docking at the pier or anchoring out. Just have to make sure that any shore excursion for Gloucester gives more time for the tendering process.

Actually, in the original itinerary on HAL's website, Gloucester was not listed as a tendering port. Maybe they caught their mistake and rectified it. Does not bother me if it's docking at the pier or anchoring out. Just have to make sure that any shore excursion for Gloucester gives more time for the tendering process.

.....and you will need a while to get ashore there iirc. There is no way they could dock there. It was a mistake.

Do the cruise ships sometimes change their itinerary from docking at the pier to tendering? I notice on the Veendam May 1st Ft. Lauderdale to Quebec City that there are now two tendering ports, Gloucester and Bar Harbor. Originally tendering was only for Bar Harbor. I would imagine if there was bad weather at sea the ship may not want to tie up at the pier. But this is 3 weeks before departure. Please enlighten me, if you will.

I'm from MA and have been to Gloucester many times...there is not a pier in Gloucester...never has been.

We've seen changes from tender to docking and vice versa.

Best was on the Amazon in Parintins where the Captain did and "eggshell" docking instead of tendering.

Things change, so this can happen once in awhile.

Edited by SilvertoGold

We are on the same cruise (Veendam May 1) and both Gloucester and Bay Harbor have always shown as tender ports on our itinerary. We booked in June 2013 and our original paperwork shows Gloucester as a tender port as does everything we've gotten since then.

We are on the same cruise (Veendam May 1) and both Gloucester and Bay Harbor have always shown as tender ports on our itinerary. We booked in June 2013 and our original paperwork shows Gloucester as a tender port as does everything we've gotten since then.

I booked through an on-line travel agency and it may be that their itinerary for this cruise may not have been up to date, because when I went to the HAL itinerary for the cruise it showed Gloucester as a tendered port.

We've seen changes from tender to docking and vice versa.

Best was on the Amazon in Parintins where the Captain did and "eggshell" docking instead of tendering.

Things change, so this can happen once in awhile.

Oh Yes things can change at the last minute.. Having been in the International Airline travel field, I know that things can change at the last minute.. Therefore we try not to over-plan & take what comes.. I'm a Leo & our Friends say I sometimes still try to over-plan!;) But they watch me!

In April of 2002 we were on a Trans-Atlantic MIA to ROM (not HAL) cruise.. At the last minute our stop in the Azores was cancelled due to a storm.. They closed the port only due to the ships in port could not get out, so we went straight across in the storm.. We were a bit disappointed only because we had never been to the Azores..

However, as we were coming upon Gibraltar the Captain said "We have good news & bad news for you.."First the bad news: We're running out of fuel"

"Now the good news is we're making a stop in Gibraltar to refuel & you all will permitted off the ship during the refueling"

We had such a good time during our emergency refueling stop.. DH & I along with our Friends hired a cab which took us up to the peak just at dusk to see the Barbary Apes.. The peak was deserted & we had the Ape families all to ourselves... We gazed down at our ship as the sun was setting & lights were coming on below.. What a beautiful picture it was! We all were in awe & still consider this one of the most memorable stops we've ever made..

On the same cruise they had to cancel our Genoa stop due to an Italian longshoreman's strike, but the cruise line substituted Corsica.. Having never been to Corsica, we again had a wonderful time..

The point of my post is to mention to the OP that over-planning can sometimes be disastrous... You have to be prepared for the unknown & try to relax & roll with the punches..

Enjoy your cruise

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

I booked through an on-line travel agency and it may be that their itinerary for this cruise may not have been up to date, because when I went to the HAL itinerary for the cruise it showed Gloucester as a tendered port.

As I have said. Gloucester is a tender port. This time of year is very foggy. Pray we can get in. I am a native of New England and know about sea fog. All we can do is hope for the best

As I have said. Gloucester is a tender port. This time of year is very foggy. Pray we can get in. I am a native of New England and know about sea fog. All we can do is hope for the best

Things like that do not bother my wife and myself. Life is too short to worry about everything. If the fog rolls in we will enjoy staying on the ship and finding things to do. I'm assuming that things that are reserved on shore will be refunded in the event that the ship cannot dock or tender. :cool:

Was it HAL information or a TT who initially advised you that Gloucester port call would be alongside a pier? There is no way that Veendam, or any fair-sized ship could ever be alongside in Gloucester. When you see the port you will understand; it is essentially a fishing town, not a sea port.