Seapass Charges

Hi all-

On previous cruises I've used my debit card to connect my onboard account and I've noticed nightly (or every other night, can't recall very well) charges to my account. These charges typically ran $100-$200 depending on my spendings.

Problem was that my bank (even with travel notifications) blocked my card and I had to call while onboard to confirm that those were my charges.

Are these daily settlements only for debit card holders? If I used my credit card instead will they settle at the end of the cruise?

Just trying to find the best alternative.

Thanks! :)

Cruise is only 14 days away!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Authorizations are done daily, but the actual charge is at the end of the cruise.

With a credit card that only affects your available credit, but a debit card puts holds on actual funds in your bank account when Authorizations are done. And it can take days for Authorizations to be released, even after the actual charge is made.

It's the same reason gas stations warn about $100 pay at the pump holds.

In other words, use a credit card. it's a layer of protection between vendors and your bank account.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Always call your credit card company and advise them that you are going on a trip that will be taking you out of your normal spending zone. I would also call your bank if you are using a debit card.

Edited by cruisenfever

That's why I only use cash to set up my on board account. I always start with $500, and then if I have to add more, I will. Depending on your bank, it can take up to 30 days to have the holds removed from your account, so you're essentially double charged until they're released.

Our credit card is charged only at the end of the cruise.

Another option is to use a cash account, and then pay with the debit/credit at the end.

I usually use Bob's credit card as well and it only gets charged at the end of my cruise :)

Thanks Bob, regards to Lee.

Steve

If you use a credit card you'll never even know about the daily authorizations unless you look at your account online under the pending transactions section

That's what I do with the RC Visa card, and the only pending transaction I ever see from Royal is the one at the end of the cruise.

That's what I do with the RC Visa card, and the only pending transaction I ever see from Royal is the one at the end of the cruise.

That's interesting. I use a different card, Capital One Venture, and the daily auths stick around about 3 to 5 days after the end of the cruise.

The actual final charge usually appears in pending transactions the day after we disembark.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4