Bari or Alberobello -Which would you go to?

kadey

We have a day in the port of Bari and it seems like it could be an interesting day there with the old and new city sides. Then I saw an excursion was offered to Alberobello and I had never heard of it before. It looks like a beautiful place to spend the day and a Unesco World Heritage site. Does anyone have experience with one or both of these places and can give me some words of wisdom to help decide which would be a better choice for the day? We love walking around a beautiful old town,maybe do a bit of shopping and lunch! Thanks!-Kade

We arranged a private tour with Tours of Puglia for Alberobello and Polignano al Mare.

I am so glad we saw the trulli homes of beautiful Alberobello. Don't skip it!

If you do a half day morning tour, you could spend the afternoon in Bari. We didn't get to see it, but I remember returning to the ship and encountering a woman burdened down by 2 huge shopping bags filled with shoes she'd purchased for a steal in Bari!

Just to confuse you a little further. We were in Bari last June with Celebrity. We were undecided between the ship's excursion to Alberobello and their excursion to Matera and the Sassi - a centuries-old town with rock hewn churches and cave dwellings, layered one atop another. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and has been used as the setting for many films, including Mel Gibson's 'The Passion of Christ'. These dwellings were inhabited until the 1950s, when people were moved to public housing in the newer section of Matera. Part of the old town is being regenerated, but as many authentically local touches as possible has been retained. It would be good to visit Matera now, before hoards of tourists discover it.

Oh my…. I love all this !! Bags of shoes???!!!! Another choice of a beautiful area without too man tourists??!!! When I first booked this trip I thought Bari was a dud of a day! Now it my most difficult port to plan! Please keep the suggestions coming!! I'm usually so thorough in my planning and now I'm down to a few weeks! Thanks All!-Kade

Oh my…. I love all this !! Bags of shoes???!!!! Another choice of a beautiful area without too man tourists??!!! When I first booked this trip I thought Bari was a dud of a day! Now it my most difficult port to plan! Please keep the suggestions coming!! I'm usually so thorough in my planning and now I'm down to a few weeks! Thanks All!-Kade

Bari seems to have lots of options but not enough time. It is going to be hard to choose!

Luv2vacation-I'm looking into doing this on our own as opposed to the ship's excursion.I've inquired with a few tour companies but I'm starting to think the best way is to just get a cab at the port. It may be less expensive then the ship's tour and it would simply be transportation since I don't want a tour.This could also leave a small amount of time to see the old town in Bari. Hectic day,but possibly doable. Has anyone done this via taxi and have some idea what the cost might be?

We spent a week in a trullo in Alberobello a couple of years ago. We really loved the place. It is fairly touristy and much nicer in the evening when the tourists had left, but it is very pretty. We drove one day to Matera (which is less touristy) and also loved that. Although there are cave dwellings in many parts of Europe. However, it is interesting. I would have difficulty to decide between the two, especially as the trullo are unique.

Luv2vacation-I'm looking into doing this on our own as opposed to the ship's excursion.I've inquired with a few tour companies but I'm starting to think the best way is to just get a cab at the port. It may be less expensive then the ship's tour and it would simply be transportation since I don't want a tour.This could also leave a small amount of time to see the old town in Bari. Hectic day,but possibly doable. Has anyone done this via taxi and have some idea what the cost might be?

I priced this trip with a company called Best Airport Transfers. They have a website and you can price it online. It was 190 euros for 2 people. The ship tour would be cheaper and no worries about getting back on time so I didn't pursue it. You might be able to negotiate a good price at the pier.

I priced this trip with a company called Best Airport Transfers. They have a website and you can price it online. It was 190 euros for 2 people. The ship tour would be cheaper and no worries about getting back on time so I didn't pursue it. You might be able to negotiate a good price at the pier.

The prices I got were all crazy high. I think it's because they all come with guides. We were looking for just transportation. We still

l can't decide what to do!!

I completely understand! I probably won't make up my mind until I am on the ship.

Same! It seems the ship's excursion will be the way to go. Honestly,I'm leaning towards doing it. I'll let you know…!!

Same! It seems the ship's excursion will be the way to go. Honestly,I'm leaning towards doing it. I'll let you know…!!

I agree about the ships tour being the way to go. I think we will probably go to Alberobello too. It is so unique I am afraid I would regret it if we didn't make the effort.