For the crazy wine lovers

sweet,

I'm on the oct 19th breakaway if you want to do an impromptu wine tasting.

I can match a few of those with some beckstoffer vineyard bottlings, or stuff like the caymus ss.

Pooh. Wish I were sailing then. We don't have anything planned yet but have to do school breaks because of our teen-ager.

Something you might want to try and locate is the third label of Screaming Eagle called The Pairing. They take the excess grapes from the second label, Jonata Wines. Good stuff and price point is about $30-$35. Santa Ynez Valley. I have had a couple of bottles that were eh for some reason but the majority out of a couple of cases were very good.

This past March, we brought Jordan's Cabernet Sauvignon onboard with us. We love it with a nice meal especially at Cagney's or Bistro. At $96 a bottle on NCL and only approx $40 at home - we gladly pay the $15 corkage fee! :D

Warning for those of you who enjoy a glass of Reisling. We were unable to get a glass at any bar that was not a restaurant. This made be very sad :(.

When i was gambling (and on the premium drink card) my DH had to run to o'sheehan's and buy me a glass. I am one of those picky people- I won't drink something else because it is free. I want to drink what I want to drink :p

I did not have this same problem in prior years! I hope they change the policy back. If you say you sell a list of wines by the glass then all bars should carry those wines.

OK- Sorry ---I am off my soapbox!!

OP- interesting question! and some interesting answers!

When you guys BYOB on board, what are the types of wines you guys bring?

My understanding is still unlimited bottles, 15$ corkage fee.

But, onto topic, what labels do you guys usually bring aboard?

apologies in advance for the wine geek talk!

When we cruise from my homeport of Vancouver I usually bring a couple of bottles of "limited" wine from nearby Okanagan Valley. As someone from BC. Canada I don't find the wines on cruise ships that outrageous if you stick to the middle tier and higher. Napa cabs in Vancouver are usually 2.25+ times more expensive than in the USA because of our taxes.

A Mondavi Napa cab is $18 at Total Wine and $42 at our BCLS.

An Avalon Napa cab is $12 at Total Wine and $30 at our BCLS

I usually have a Chateauneuf Du Pape onboard for $30 as it's $35+ at our BCLS and similiar in price to Total Wine.

As a Canadian, I bring a quality Okanagan wine (Burrowing Owl) or buy some nice french or italian wine onboard. We only have wine for dinner so a bottle is a 2 night affair.

I never bring wine when I'm cruising NCL and only my 2 bottle cabin limit on Princess

This past March, we brought Jordan's Cabernet Sauvignon onboard with us. We love it with a nice meal especially at Cagney's or Bistro. At $96 a bottle on NCL and only approx $40 at home - we gladly pay the $15 corkage fee! :D

Warning for those of you who enjoy a glass of Reisling. We were unable to get a glass at any bar that was not a restaurant. This made be very sad :(.

When i was gambling (and on the premium drink card) my DH had to run to o'sheehan's and buy me a glass. I am one of those picky people- I won't drink something else because it is free. I want to drink what I want to drink :p

I did not have this same problem in prior years! I hope they change the policy back. If you say you sell a list of wines by the glass then all bars should carry those wines.

OK- Sorry ---I am off my soapbox!!

OP- interesting question! and some interesting answers!

Totally agree with you. We bring two or three nice bottles of wine and we glad to pay the $15 corkage fee.

FYI, Here is the most recent wine list -- just came out in March.

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/WineList_Fleetwide_03172014.pdf

Currently planning to get the Vivo Vino pkg. Question -- can you exchange wines after you purchase the package? If you select wine A, B, C, but decide A is best after you open it....can you switch the remaining selections to wine A?

Edited by ALadyNCal

I was lucky to receive a 12 btl. rolling carrier from one of my wine vendors for a Christmas gift. Has a nice Rodney Strong logo on the outside. I'll be filling it up with some Gaja, Solaia, Silver Oak, Caymus SS, Inniskillin and a bottle of Chateau Mouton Rothschild for a special occasion. The DW likes Riesling so I guess I'll toss in a couple of those also. Do they charge the same $15 corkage for the 375ml Ice wine?