Help please....

SE NC

My wife and I are Platinum. However...we have never sailed (children much older when we started cruising) with small children. I'm about to book our next cruise to include our DD, SIL and 4 year old VERY special grandson. My question is....is a 4 year old charged full price?

Thanks for and help you can provide!

Yup. Just like any other passenger in the cabin. He'll pay the reduced 3rd passenger rate but age won't matter.

Keep in mind that there's a Kids Sail Free promotion going on, but in order to take advantage of it, the 1st and 2nd passenger must pay the higher, full fare (not a discounted rate like Early Saver, Past Guest, etc). You may still save some money though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

My nephew took his 1 yr old daughter, paid 3rd person rate. They didn't charge for tips though.

I just looked it up, and saw that the tips don't get charged when they are under 2 years old. I'm not sure why, as I'm sure the staff still has to do some things for them. But that is their policy. 2 years or older, tips will be charged.

Edited by k2excursion

They didn't charge for tips though.

Even though Carnival doesn't charge tips for passengers under two, I highly recommend tipping on your own . After you see how hard the crew works to keep your little ones week taken care of (and how much work they actually take), you will agree with me. When we sailed with our (then) one year old, we were initially happy that we didn't have to pay tips, but on the last day we were chasing workers with cash envelopes. They deserved every single extra penny and more.

Edited by Tapi

I just looked it up, and saw that the tips don't get charged when they are under 2 years old. I'm not sure why, as I'm sure the staff still has to do some things for them. But that is their policy. 2 years or older, tips will be charged.

Glad you looked it up, I didn't want to correct you, lol

Even though Carnival doesn't charge tips for passengers under two, I highly recommend tipping on your own . After you see how hard the crew works to keep your little ones week taken care of (and how much work they actually take), you will agree with me. When we sailed with our (then) one year old, we were initially happy that we didn't have to pay tips, but on the last day we were chasing workers with cash envelopes. They deserved every single extra penny and more.

Doesn't matter if you recommend it or not, or if I agree with you or not, that wasn't my child, I was not tipping for him. With that said, I will promise you I tip as much or more than you. I prepay my tips, plus I always tip extra at the end of every cruise. I strongly believe people on these ships deserve more than they get from passengers when it comes to tips.

And for the record, if the parents are doing their job, a 1 year old will not cause any extra clean up.

Unfortunately the cruise ship does not provide drop cloths under junior's high chair nor have dogs on clean up duty. (Had both at home.) Just cleaning up normal droppings in the dining areas is worth paying tips.

a 1 year old will not cause any extra clean up.

LOL

that wasn't my child.

Sorry. I know that my previous comment sounded like it was directed at you specifically, but I was just trying to make a general comment to anybody traveling with a child under the age of 2. I was once that first time parent with a one year old, glad that Carnival didn't charge tips for him, but then I was caught off guard when I realized how hard the crew actually worked for him and how much clean up infants leave behind, no matter how hard you try.

One of the little memories that I have from that first cruise with our infant son was of my wife at the MDR, on her knees, picking up Cheerios off the floor after my son's bowl went flying. A waiter tapped on her shoulder, helped her get up and said "I'll take care of that. Relax, you're on vacation". It was one of those little moments when you realize that you're indeed on vacation. :D

Edited by Tapi

Babies make messes regardless of parents doing their jobs! Of course we cleaned up after him, but not to the extent of the crew. We generously tipped them individually when he wasn't charged auto tips and tipped them extra when he was as many crew members cater to kids. We've had a lot of attention paid to our little one, especially in the dining room.

Unfortunately the cruise ship does not provide drop cloths under junior's high chair nor have dogs on clean up duty.

A few years after we started having kids, we noticed that our dog (Tapi, picture below) stopped eating her regular dog food. Her bowl would just sit there full. However, she started gaining weight. My wife and I were dumbfounded so we took her to the vet, thinking that maybe she had developed some disease or imbalance that was causing her to gain weight inexplicably.

After running some tests ($$$), the vet came in and said to me "how many kids do you have?" to which I said 2. The vet smiled and said "and that's the reason why your dog is getting fat. There's absolutely nothing wrong with her". I protested and assured her that our dog wasn't eating scraps, and our vet said "Just watch closely and we'll talk about this on her next checkup".

Sure enough, I started watching closely, hiding as I watched the kids eat, and that's when I realized that the kids were indeed feeding the dog basically half their meals if not all of them! :eek: As soon as I'd leave the room, the food wood go straight to the floor and Tapi would pick it up like a vacuum cleaner.

Lesson learned!

Edited by Tapi

Unfortunately the cruise ship does not provide drop cloths under junior's high chair nor have dogs on clean up duty. (Had both at home.) Just cleaning up normal droppings in the dining areas is worth paying tips.

Sorry, but I'm referring more to the cabin than I am the dinning room. If your child causes a mess you are unable to clean up than yes, you should tip accordingly.

Geez, some of you people act like rabid dogs over someone else's opinion. Down boys, down, ( and girls ).

It's just one of those hot topics that elicits heated arguments. There are the opinions of people before they have kids and then there are the opinions of people after they have kids. I know that I went from "ugh, what's wrong with those parents that can't control that child" before I had kids to "aaaah, I understand now" after I had them. :o

Edited by Tapi

A few years after we started having kids, she started gaining weight. My wife and I were dumbfounded so we took her to the vet.

The vet smiled and said, There's absolutely nothing wrong with her".

Sure enough, I started watching closely, hiding as I watched the kids eat,

Lesson learned!

You shouldn't quote just part of what was said. Just saying

It's just one of those hot topics that elicits heated arguments. There are the opinions of people before they have kids and then there are the opinions of people after they have kids. I know that I went from "ugh, what's wrong with those parents that can't control that child" before I had kids to "aaaah, I understand now" after I had them. :o

I have a daughter so yes I understand, but I still say you should tip accordingly. Some of the crew you in counter should be tipped more than others, that doesn't mean you should pay auto tips for a 1 year old.

Such sensitive feelings! We were on a cruise last month with our daughter, her husband and their 18 month old.

Yes, she was charged as a 3rd person in their balcony room. She was the princess of the ship! Greeted wherever she went with her sparkly shoes. The waiters couldn't do enough for her. I honestly don't think they were doing it for extra tips. They love children and want to make them happy. We did, however tip extra in the MDR.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

My daughter also tipped their steward extra. It was hard to move around the balcony cabin with the crib and stroller. They had a car seat that they brought from home and that was kept at guest services without a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app