Viking fare policy

rfkeith10

they are doing something right. I just looked at this board. Eight of the first sixteen posts were Viking topics.

I don't know if it's "right", but they're outbuilding everyone else. Supply alone dictates they're going to have a large presence - on the rivers, and their passengers online.....

This and other threads have made me aware that the differences in marketing/packaging and also laws vary greatly between different countries. So I want to encourage posters to indicate where they are from in their profile (nothing to risk privacy disclosures, but at least the country). I always check that part of the post before responding, but many posters give me no clue.

Boy oh boy, yes!!! Need the "Like" button. When listening to what other posters have to say or the issues they are having, knowing their country of origin is so necessary when trying to give assistance.

Laws and consumer protections vary greatly (as do the cruise line policies) from country to country.

Please everyone go update your profile page to at least list what country you are from. For the US & Canada it's also helpful when responding to airlines and booking questions to know what part of the country you are from.

Ok just my two cents worth, I'll go clean the kitchen :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by nana541

Host Jazzbeau I agree I do like to see where contributors are from I will then know if I have been there or not. Some states in the US, Canada and Australia are much larger than the England. I was once told the France is 9 times larger than England, have not checked if correct or not but then most places are larger.

I am impressed that Viking reply on Cruise Critic superb PR whatever else they are doing their PR department is in some cases on the ball, pity the don't train their telephone staff enough as the PR gurus say 'communication, communication, communication.

Edited by Canal archive

Host Jazzbeau I agree I do like to see where contributors are from I will then know if I have been there or not. Some states in the US, Canada and Australia are much larger than the England. I was once told the France is 9 times larger than England, have not checked if correct or not but then most places are larger.

I am impressed that Viking reply on Cruise Critic superb PR whatever else they are doing their PR department is in some cases on the ball, pity the don't train their telephone staff enough as the PR gurus say 'communication, communication, communication.

France is the second-largest country on the European continent, with an area (including the island of Corsica) of 211,209 sq miles

What is the Size of England in square miles?

In: Area, England [Edit categories]

Answer:

50,346 sq mi

Looks like France is about four times the size of England. But, that is not counting Wales, Scotland and N. Ireland, which are a part of the UK.

• 2 weeks later...
I did a lot of reading/research before booking with Viking. They appear to be an excellent river cruise provider and that is what prompted me to book with them.

As I said in my original post, I am primarily an ocean cruise person and this was my first attempt at booking a river cruise. I read their "terms and conditions" section regarding making payments. It states that final payment was due 90 days prior to sail date and I assumed that was true for the cruise I wanted to book.

In all fairness to Viking, I do see where in their promotion description it does state that the trip needed to be payed in full by 4-30-2014. In hindsight, I should have been more attentive to the "big" print rather than the "fine" print.

Since the itinerary I was looking for is only provided by Viking, I can't go elsewhere. Totally different experience but I guess I will see Europe via a large cruise ship....

Ray

I don't know if you have totally decided against the cruise, but I would suggest you calling a travel agent. I'm booked on the Viking Kara for next year. I have a really big cruise/trip next month and also didn't want to tie all of my money up now. My agent was able to negotiate with Viking for the $500/pp deposit now and full payment by October (6 months prior) for the 2 for 1 pricing! Definitley worth it in my book! Also, got the $995 airfare rate, too!

It doesn't hurt to ask! You still have a few more days until the promotion ends.

I don't know if you have totally decided against the cruise, but I would suggest you calling a travel agent. I'm booked on the Viking Kara for next year. I have a really big cruise/trip next month and also didn't want to tie all of my money up now. My agent was able to negotiate with Viking for the $500/pp deposit now and full payment by October (6 months prior) for the 2 for 1 pricing! Definitley worth it in my book! Also, got the $995 airfare rate, too!

It doesn't hurt to ask! You still have a few more days until the promotion ends.

rjeffler---Thank you for taking the time to respond. I do have a travel agent and while it was me that actually booked the cruise, she had the dialogue with Viking when getting my deposit back. While she probably didn't specifically ask for for any special consideration, Viking didn't make any offer to help me out. In fact, they wanted to keep $200 of my deposit, which they had the right to do.

Since my last post we have booked a 12 day Grand Mediterranean cruise with NCL. I think we are happy with that decision.

I'm looking forward to May 1st to see what "new" promotion Viking will introduce. They might extend the current offer out for another 30 days. Who knows?

Thanks again for the advice and I hope you enjoy your upcoming trips...

Ray