Formal Nights

Matlily

I am taking my BF and several other friend (their first cruise) on my next cruise in August on the Carnival Magic, I know he doesn't have a suit or a tux, he is a country boy, starched wrangler and button down shirts, nice cowboy boots, he has one pair of slacks that I know of and I can can buy him a shirt and tie, does he need to to the whole jacket/Suit business, cruise is in August?

The slacks and a nice collar shirt, and he'll be fine. Some men will be in suits/tuxes/jackets (as if anybody can really tell the difference between the 3), but plenty of men will keep it simple with pants & a collar shirt. On my last cruise, for the first elegant night, I went all out by upgrading from a polo shirt to a button-up shirt, and I even added a tie.:eek: Those were extras that weren't necessary, but I did it anyway.

I am taking my BF and several other friend (their first cruise) on my next cruise in August on the Carnival Magic, I know he doesn't have a suit or a tux, he is a country boy, starched wrangler and button down shirts, nice cowboy boots, he has one pair of slacks that I know of and I can can buy him a shirt and tie, does he need to to the whole jacket/Suit business, cruise is in August?

They appear to be cracking down on jeans in the Main Dining Rooms, no matter how nice they are. It may only be on the two elegant nights that they care, but just in case....pack those slacks. He can change after dinner but it's worth the MDR experience over being confined to the buffets your whole cruise. The tie and jacket are not required. My hubby will do the jacket but go without a tie on elegant nights (he wears a tie 6 days a week and wants a break when on vacation) and he'll shed the jacket on the other 4 nights and just do slacks and golf shirts or oxfords. Some do tuxes and gowns on elegant nights but no way am I putting my nice gowns in a suitcase! :p

I'm assuming this is sarcasm because it is very easy to tell the difference.

There are tuxedos now that look very similar to a regular suit. They can be worn with a "regular" style tie rather than a bow tie so sometimes you can't really tell the difference. http://www.finetuxedos.com/tuxedos/designer-tuxedos/behar-slim-fit.html

Edited by Mysticks1

Thanks again everyone, he has slacks and even a western style jacket and he always wears starched jeans and button down shirts for the other nights. but he will definitely be dining in the dining room as I dislike buffets!:D

The lapels on your example are a dead giveaway that it is a tux.

It still looks like a suit, from the back you couldn't tell the difference at all. That is just an example of the style. No need to get picky. There won't be many suits or tuxedos on Carnival no matter what the style is.

The debate on what constitutes a tux/suit or sport coat aside - a pair of slacks and a nice dress shirt with or without a tie will be fine. I would encourage a tie ..... just because I think it adds to the experience. Just have fun it is your vacation.

They appear to be cracking down on jeans in the Main Dining Rooms, no matter how nice they are. It may only be on the two elegant nights that they care, but just in case....pack those slacks. He can change after dinner but it's worth the MDR experience over being confined to the buffets your whole cruise. The tie and jacket are not required. My hubby will do the jacket but go without a tie on elegant nights (he wears a tie 6 days a week and wants a break when on vacation) and he'll shed the jacket on the other 4 nights and just do slacks and golf shirts or oxfords. Some do tuxes and gowns on elegant nights but no way am I putting my nice gowns in a suitcase! :p

I just want to clarify that jeans are always okay on casual nights. Dress shorts also, just no cut offs.

It still looks like a suit

Using that logic, a cruise ship "looks" like a cargo ship. The lapels are just one example. There are also many that you would see "from the back."

All I'm saying is, there is a distinct difference between the two and the majority of people know which is which. Just because you may not doesn't make it true for the majority.

While I do not advocate for a full on black tie formal night, the lax dress codes on formal nights in the MDR are one of my only disappointments on Carnival. It's not that hard to pack/wear a suit or at the very least a coat and tie.

And I'm not some old codger that's stuck in his ways either. I'm in my early 30's.

Thanks again everyone were going with slacks and a nice dress shirt and I will bring the one tie he has I brought it for him for Christmas. If he had already had a suit I would have told him to bring it but we won't go to that expense for a cruise dinner. Thanks again everyone, happy cruising! :)

My DH is a country boy to the bone. Its a definite struggle to get him to dress up - but he wore his western style jacket, dress pants, a button down, a bolo, his "fancy" belt buckle and his cowboy boots for our formal night and I think his outfit could outshine an expensive suit or tux any night!