NCL vs Royal Caribbean - What's Different?

theotherchad

The only thing more prolific than threads on tipping, cruise line comparisons, UBP, bacon, maple syrup, etc...is the constant reminder that there is a search feature and the snarky comments from CC 'lifers'. They seem to be on EVERY post. The act is getting old, and WAY more annoying than seeing a repeat thread that can be left unopened if you are not interested. BTW...you failed at the "without being rude" part. Let's move on....

Let me check...

yep, I provided a dozen helpful links that address the OP's questions.

Let me check...

yep, I provided a dozen helpful links that address the OP's questions.

Let ME check...yep, followed by a backhanded comment, that prompted the OP to comment to defend his decision to ask a question. The nerve...asking a question on a public Q&A forum...sheesh! Some people...

Lots of good info here for the OP.

Having sailed both, and not loyal to any cruise line, this is what I've experienced between the two....

-OP, you mentioned you like formal nights. From what I've observed on the last RCCL cruise I took (Allure of the Seas), formal dress is really on a steep decline. However, you will find more formal dress on formal nights on RCCL than you will on NCL. Not that you can't dress formally on an NCL cruise, some do. You'll see a little more formal dress on RCCL cruises.

-Entertainment on the newer RCCL ships is quite good. NCL's entertainment is better. And, there's more of it.

-Specialty restaurants are excellent on both. While I have no reason outside of my own "taste", I find the free food venues more to my liking on NCL. Can't explain it, but I find the produce seems fresher on NCL. Not sure why. I'm guessing the cruise ships get their provisions from the same places.

-To me, cabins are cabins. A cabin has a bed, a bathroom, and hopefully a balcony overlooking the water. That's all I need. So, call the cabins on both a "wash", unless you have a suite, which are supposed to be outstanding on NCL ships.

-All of the newest ships on RCCL (Allure/Oasis) and NCL (Epic/Breakaway) are beautiful and each are amazing in their own right. Any cruise enthusiast should sail the RCCL twins (one or the other, Allure/Oasis) at least once. Come to think of it, I would probably say the same for the Epic/Breakaway, too. They are different enough to warrant going on both at least once, whereas the Allure and Oasis are nearly identical, you sail one, you know exactly how the other will look/feel.

-Someone else pointed out that unless you have a water facing balcony cabin on Allure/Oasis, you would be hard pressed to know you're on a cruise, which kind of defeats the purpose, in my estimation. The Waterfront areas on NCL (especially on the Breakaway) are really quite nice. I prefer that type of atmosphere vs the way RCCL forces you inside the areas of the ship.

Does any of this mean there's one better than the other? That's up to each individual. My last cruise was on Carnival's Breeze, which was wonderful in its own right.

I consider Carnival and RCCL to be very similar. NCL will be a bit different than both of those. There is no right or wrong answer here, however.

Let ME check...yep, followed by a backhanded comment, that prompted the OP to comment to defend his decision to ask a question. The nerve...asking a question on a public Q&A forum...sheesh! Some people...

I'm sure the OP appreciates your helpful posts as well. Have a nice day.

I'm sure if my posts get a few people to stop being so rude, it will be appreciated by a lot more than the OP!

"So rude"? Really? A comment suggesting that someone use the search function, per normal message board etiquette, is rude? In fact, I didn't even post "use the search function", I posted a dozen helpful links. Stick around and you'll see that I try to help as many people as I can on this board. I don't need to defend myself to you, and I'm done trying to do so. You want to see rude? Stick around the CC message boards for longer than 150 posts, or check out some of our nice topics on smoking and tipping.

By the way, another thing that you fail to consider is that suggesting that someone use the search function isn't rude, it's helpful. When a question has been asked and answered dozens of times, they can quite literally get dozens if not hundreds of points of view with a simple search instead of waiting for a handful to trickle in.

Don't bother getting the last word in again. I likely won't see it

I'm sure if my posts get a few people to stop being so rude, it will be appreciated by a lot more than the OP!

Um, sorry SDMike I just have to step in here for a moment, hope you don't mind. Cover your eyes for moment. :p

AjBren, sdMike is probably the last person to be considered "rude" and I'm saying that from experience. If you can see it, you'll notice I've been here for just under a year and while I consider some on here to be a bit rude, though more likely bored is a better adjective, I've always gained a lot of knowledge from sdMike and his posts.

Rudeness on any public forum should be expected since we are all anonymous, no way does anyone really know who you are unless they meet you on a cruise and you acknowledge who you are on CC. There are some rude remarks on here, of course, but basically, when someone is rude numerous times, I put them on my ignore list so I just don't bother with them. Take a deep breath and relax it's not all bad and there's a lot of things to learn.

Enjoy your cruises,

Sorry sdMike...carry on.. carrying on...:D

• 3 years later...
Yeah, it's kind of my way of saying "this has been asked and answered a million times already" without being rude

I'm digging way back in to past posts here, but the reason I asked anyway (despite its having been asked and answered before) is lined out in the initial post. They all turn into pro and anti free for alls between people with different faves.

BTW, posting a bunch of other posts is still a little bit rude, IMO.

Interesting responses. My family and I have only cruised on Royal. We are ready to explore a little, maybe try NCL. But I just can't get past that bathroom situation (sink in the room and stepping from the shower out into the hall/entry). I have a 10 year old son. I don't want him to see me at the sink or coming out of the shower. How do people deal with this with three or more people in the room? Am I missing something?

Interesting responses. My family and I have only cruised on Royal. We are ready to explore a little, maybe try NCL. But I just can't get past that bathroom situation (sink in the room and stepping from the shower out into the hall/entry). I have a 10 year old son. I don't want him to see me at the sink or coming out of the shower. How do people deal with this with three or more people in the room? Am I missing something?

That set up is only on EPIC --- you don't have to worry about it in any other ship in the fleet. So stay off EPIC if that bothers you.

Some of these repsonses are no longer valid as you have resurrected a 3 year old thread.

I believe there is often more differences between ships and itineraries than there is between cruise lines. There are ships from both lines that I favor and others that I avoid. The only clear cut difference between lines is that Royal Caribbean has the poorest website. Remember the Hindoo fable:

"The Blind Men and the Elephant"

It was six men of Indostan,to learning much inclined.

Who went to see the Elephant, though allof them were blind.

That each by observation might satisfy his mind.

The First approachedthe Elephant, and happening to fall

against his broad and sturdy side, and at oncebegan to bawl.

"God bless me!—but the Elephant Is verylike a wall!"

The Second,feeling of the tusk, Cried "Ho!—what have wehere

So very round and smooth and sharp, To me 't ismighty clear.

This wonder of an Elephant Is very like a spear!"

The Third approachedthe animal and happening to take.

The squirming trunk within his hands, Thus boldlyup and spake.

"I see," quoth he,"the Elephant Is very like a snake!"

The Fourth reachedout his eager hand and felt about the knee.

"What most this wondrous beast is like Ismighty plain," quoth he;

" 'T'is clear enough the Elephant Is verylike a tree!"

The Fifth,who chanced to touch the ear, said: "E'en the blindest man

Can tell what this resembles most, deny the fact who can,

This marvel of an Elephant Is very like a fan!"

The Sixth nosooner had begun about the beast to grope,

Than, seizing on the swinging tail that fell within his scope,

"I see," quoth he, "the Elephant is very like a rope!"

And so these men of Indostandisputed loud and long,

Each in his own opinion exceeding stiff and strong,

Though each was partly in the right and all were in the wrong!

We've only done RC twice but are trying the Oasis this November. So I'm kind of in the opposite situation. We have sailed NCL many times and all three of us would say it's our favorite. Main reason for that is the more relaxed or freestyle atmosphere. Felt RC could be a little stuffy at times. Food is vastly better on NCL in my opinion. Would say NCL then Carnival then RC for food. Accommodations are very similar though admittedly we haven't been on a an RC ship newer than EOS. Don't know what it's like now. Basically it's the casual atmosphere that keeps ups coming back. Dressing up is not my idea of a vacation, I just want to be at sea with good food and time to do what I want to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I actually think the two lines are more alike than different overall. It does depend on ship though. Comparing an Oasis class ship to the Sun or Dawn isn't fair. Just like comparing Escape to Majesty of the Seas isn't fair. Overall, I prefer NCL's entertainment. I think their theater shows are better overall than RC's. Although, I do have to give RC credit for the Aqua Theater, because that was an epic idea. The nightlife is much better on NCL with the parties and Howl at the Moon. I also love the movies in SpiceH2O at night. I find RC's ships to be pretty dead by 10:00. Maybe it's just my sailings? I actually don't think one line is more kid friendly than the other, although, NCL has ended their Nickelodean partnership on their mega ships where RC still has their Dreamworks partnership. Probably doesn't matter unless your kids are small enough to still enjoy the characters. To me, the food is pretty equal in the MDR's. I prefer NCL's buffet. (When I eat at the buffet. It's really not my thing.) NCL's specialty restaurants are overall better. Cabins are pretty comparable. RC's tend to be slightly bigger. I think NCL's are laid out better. The one area I find that NCL really stands out over RC is the Haven. NCL's suite service puts RC to shame. The closest I've come on RC to experiencing anything like the Haven was in a 2BR AquaTheater suite on Allure with a genie. NCL still wins in that category though. The thing that keeps drawing me back to NCL is the general atmosphere. I agree with the person above who said that RC tends to be more formal and the staff less friendly. The overall atmosphere of the ship on NCL is just, different. And I feel at home there. And if you sail the same ship often, they remember you. And welcome you back like a long lost friend. I've never once experienced that on another line.

Edited by babynurse06
additional info

We have cruised many times on Royal and twice on NCL. This year we did the Oasis (without young adult kids) and the Getaway - the Baltics with kids.

We only eat at the buffets and both are pretty comparable this time NCL maybe a tad better!

We enjoyed both ships very much!

For us the entertainment has went downhill in the last 10 yrs or so on NCL, Carnival and RCL. They used to have variety, family friendly shows and now it's basically music shows and Broadway type shows which get old for 7-9 nights! One thing they all should go back to.

The one thing I didn't like on the Getaway was they didn't have an inside pool area, unless you paid $200 pp to use the Haven! For the Baltics that was bad since it was cold!

Edited by tidygirl

We have been on both lines with future cruises booked on both. You will have a great time on either one. For us, we love the free drinks package and free specialty dining package we get with NCL and to us that is the biggest real difference. Entertainment and food is different on each line, but very good on both. We like good specialty restaurants and well made creative cocktails in well decorated lounges which both lines have. With RCL we have to figure the drinks package and dining package into the price. We love the thermal spa on the NCL Breakaway class and the free perks enable us to book a spa cabin. On Royal we just go for a balcony and forget the spa. I think you will enjoy NCL for something different, but enjoyable and for the value. I will say the pool and solarium on Royal Oasis class edges out the pool and H2O area on Norwegian, although their grotto is cool and something different.

Mary Ann

That set up is only on EPIC --- you don't have to worry about it in any other ship in the fleet. So stay off EPIC if that bothers you.

Some of these repsonses are no longer valid as you have resurrected a 3 year old thread.

That's the one that we will go on.

The only thing more prolific than threads on tipping, cruise line comparisons, UBP, bacon, maple syrup, etc...is the constant reminder that there is a search feature and the snarky comments from CC 'lifers'. They seem to be on EVERY post. The act is getting old, and WAY more annoying than seeing a repeat thread that can be left unopened if you are not interested. BTW...you failed at the "without being rude" part. Let's move on....

[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Thanks to all (including sdmike) for all the helpful responses!

I apologize for the fact that the thread got a bit derailed midway into an argumentative discussion. I'm sure that all involved are nice people, but I will just say this.

I do use the search feature, but sometimes, those old threads are outdated, and, like I said, unfortunately, too many of them devolve into arguments, so when I ask a question here, it's because I want some new input. It's a shame really.

Everyone have a great day! BTW, after all that I read, I think that for various reasons, there is about a 30% chance that we will book an NCL cruise in the next couple of years. All the helpful comments told me what I need to know! :)