cable ties

Junecruiser

It's packing time finally! 9/11 happened after our last cruise so I know there are more security issues now. I know I have to tear the leatherman out of my husband's hands now, so where do we keep the small scissors or clippers to cut the ties. Can they be in the carryon? Or do we leave a pocket untied in the checked luggage? I usually have a nail kit in my makeup bag which is a carryon - is that okay?

It's packing time finally! 9/11 happened after our last cruise so I know there are more security issues now. I know I have to tear the leatherman out of my husband's hands now, so where do we keep the small scissors or clippers to cut the ties. Can they be in the carryon? Or do we leave a pocket untied in the checked luggage? I usually have a nail kit in my makeup bag which is a carryon - is that okay?

We took cable ties and the cable clippers last week, in our carry on, and they didn't say anything. I also had nail clippers and a little pair of scissors in my carry on and nothing was said. Matter of fact, I forgot about them being in there and really thought they would take them, but they didn't.

We stuck our nail clippers in a pocket in the front of the suitcase. There were no problems.

We did that too! I really can't see that nail clippers should be banded from planes if they don't have a file attached but oh, well..

When we boarded the return flight from Cancun to Texas year before last, they insisted that I put my eyelash curler in the checked luggage. Guess they thought I was going to rush into the cockpit and curl the pilots lashes!!!

:rolleyes:

When we boarded the return flight from Cancun to Texas year before last, they insisted that I put my eyelash curler in the checked luggage. Guess they thought I was going to rush into the cockpit and curl the pilots lashes!!!

:rolleyes:

I know that I shouldn't laugh in light of 9/11 however I couldn't help myself from chuckling!:o

I know that I shouldn't laugh in light of 9/11 however I couldn't help myself from chuckling!:o

That's exactly what I did too!! Still shaking my head with raised eyebrows and eyes rolling!! Blame it on Mexico!! LOL :p

I have a question--are you supposed to lock your suitcases with the cable ties for the flights or just for ship?? DH says the luggage MUST be unlocked for security reasons to go thru the airport security--Whre are you supposed to lock your luggage then or are you??

cable ties are alright they will just cut them if they want to open the suitcase. that way you will know it was opened. I have reclosable cable ties. A thief wouldnt bother to fiddle with them but i can open it without scissors or nail clipper whenever. (and so can security)

We put the cable ties on before flying and before boarding the ship. We usually have a pre-cruise night in a hotel and just replace the ones we cut off for use during that night. If anyone wants to examine the contents of our luggage, the cable ties can be cut off easily and just as easily be replaced.

If you get really desperate, here is a trick I learned. Insert a regular old pen, Papermate or Bic type, into the circle formed by the pastic tie and move pen back and forth, twisting plastic cable tie with each back and forth movement. After a minute or two, the plastic will crack. No sharp implements required!!!

The cable ties are a matter of convenience for us. Easy on, easy off. If someone really, really wants into our luggage, even a TSA lock won't keep them out. I have also read that not every airport will have a key readily available for the TSA locks. Just another hassle I don't want on vacation.

Archived