Chops/Portofino/MDR**Freedom of the Seas

All things considered........does an evening at Chops or Portofino or Both

Really enhance the overall cruise?

Should I book them or am I ok with just going with the MDR experience?

Chops or Portifinos ( we do both) is 10x better than the MDR for the following reasons:

1) Better food quality & selection ( don't MISS the Crab cakes and Lyonnaise Potatoes at Chops OR Seafood Skewer at Portifinos!)

2) Quieter , nicer ambiance

3) Table by a window over-looking the sea ( Very Nice!!!)

4) Soft music, not dining with 2000 others

5) MDR loud, busy, catared type food , not ideal for a special night..

6) We feel "special" when dining at Chops...in the MDR, we feel like we're at a wedding...

7) Finally, go to a high end Steak House and order Crab Cakes, Caesar Salad, NY Strip or Filet Mignon WITH 3-4 side dishes you can share AND coffee & dessert and see what the cost will be for 2...$150? At Chops you get that for $60-70 AND you are seated at a table by the window over-looking the Caribbean...it's a no brainer to us....we have dined 18x in Chops, 5x in Portifinos and both were always A- A+..the MDR we have dined 75x and there perhaps 3-4 meals that were "really good" and the rest were mediocre, "OK", or pretty disappointing... it's tough to feed 200 people at a wedding, imagine 4000-6000..try Chops and make sure you ask for a table by the window ( go there when you board and ask specifically for a window table, you will LOVE Chops!)...I have a saying: If you want to eat, go to the buffet...if you want to eat better,go to the MDR...if you want to DINE and have a romantic dinner & enjoy your dinner, go a specialty restaurant...just MHO...

Big Al

On our second cruise, we went to both Portofino and Chops. They were both excellent. If I only had the choice of one, I would choose Chops. It definitely has a more upscale feel, like a Ruth's Chris and the price is right. It would be the perfect place for a special evening.

However, I was not disappointed in the MDR food. I expected Chili's quality before we went and I found it to be much better than that.

I haven't cruised in over 15 years, but I am planning one for November. While I have LOVED the MDR in the past, I am really looking forward to these restaurants!

Thank you for your input!!

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Forums mobile app