Are Future Cruise Deposits Refundable?

Oca

My husband and I have 2 outstanding and valid Future Cruise Deposits which we acquired onboard ship 2 years ago. It looks as if we will not be booking another cruise with HAL and are wondering if these deposits are refundable.

I cannot find that information on HAL's site and thought I would like to check here before calling the cruise line.

Thank you for whatever help you can give us.

The FCD used to be non refundable, but that changed when HAL switched from the 'blanket' $100 deposit for all cruises up to about 31 days (segments of Grand Voyages excluded). If your FCD was bought back when they were non refundable, it's possible that HAL might hold you to the terms you agreed to at the time. It's possible that HAL might use their current policy, even for a 'non refundable' deposit. We don't know the terms of the FCD you bought. You'll have to ask HAL.

If you don't use them after 4 years' date=' they refund your money. You may be able to request a refund prior to that time. Worth an inquiry.[/quote']

That is my understanding.......

And I also agree nothing to lose by requesting a refund and see what happens.

I'm pretty sure they are not refundable, but you might ask for an extension. That being said we also had to let ours expire (they were $100 at the time). We just found other choices that fit better than HAL at this time.

If you don't use them after 4 years' date='[/size'] they refund your money. You may be able to request a refund prior to that time. Worth an inquiry.

In fact, future cruise deposits ARE refundable and one is able to have them refunded BEFORE four years, as I know someone who did this! ;)

In fact, future cruise deposits ARE refundable and one is able to have them refunded BEFORE four years, as I know someone who did this! ;)

Good to know GeriatricNurse, I knew they were refundable but didn't realize you could get your money back before the 4 years time limit.

Speaking from personal experience, yes, you can be refunded. We did this about a month ago. We had purchased one a couple of years ago for our daughter. Now it is no longer cool to go cruising with mom and dad lol. We knew it would never be used, and asked for a refund. No problem.

Thank you, everyone, for your input. (I am the OP)

I called HAL and canceled the cruise we were planning on taking in August of this year which we had booked using our 2 future cruise deposits. After the representative canceled our booked cruise, she said that the FTD would be returned to our Mariner account. I told her that I would like to have the deposits refunded to us. She put me on hold for a few minutes and came back and told me that the request had been submitted and that I should hear within 3 to 5 days that the deposits had been refunded to our credit card.

I shall check our credit card account in a few days just to make sure. If there is some problem, I shall come back and let you all know but my feeling is that the deposits will be refunded.

These future cruise bookings seem to be a win-win situation!

Again, thanks.

Thank you, everyone, for your input. (I am the OP)

I called HAL and canceled the cruise we were planning on taking in August of this year which we had booked using our 2 future cruise deposits. After the representative canceled our booked cruise, she said that the FTD would be returned to our Mariner account. I told her that I would like to have the deposits refunded to us. She put me on hold for a few minutes and came back and told me that the request had been submitted and that I should hear within 3 to 5 days that the deposits had been refunded to our credit card.

I shall check our credit card account in a few days just to make sure. If there is some problem, I shall come back and let you all know but my feeling is that the deposits will be refunded.

These future cruise bookings seem to be a win-win situation!

Again, thanks.

Thanks for all this information....we have a few outstanding ones and might have to request a credit so very interesting to read. We are tending to book more last minute than pre-planned ones since we are retired now and also wanting to try different cruise lines.

I also know someone who recently got a refund on a FCC they purchased less than 2 years ago. We are currently trying to decide how long to hold ours before deciding to either use it or get a refund. DW is no longer willing to fly and HAL currently offers any cruises out of CA that interest us... Well, more accurately, no ships offering round-trips out of CA that we'd consider.