Alaska Cruise -need a jump start from the experts

Bustersmom

My Princess package came with the Natural History Tour but I upgraded to the Tundra Wilderness Tour based on the reviews I read. There was an additional charge but it wasn't that much.

Edited by margob111
Corrected to Tundra Wilderness Tour

• 2 weeks later...
Whatever cruise you book MUST include Glacier Bay. Don't be fooled by itineraries listed as Inside Passage or Sawyer Glacier/Tracy Arm. The channel to that glacier is often too icy for passage and it would be a shame to miss the glacier experience.

Our July cruise was every bit as cold as our May cruise and definitely rainier. We loved the cold weather in May because the foothills we cruised by still had snow and the mountain the White Pass railroad goes up was covered in snow, with beautiful blue pools of melting water.

Cruises later in the season are during the salmon runs and it's fun to see all those salmon fighting their way upstream, trying to get past the sea lions and bears.

Some of the land portion parts of the cruise begin/end in Fairbanks so that gives you another option over ending/beginning in Anchorage/Whittier.

Other options, if booking through the cruiseline are whether you get to Denali via bus or train. For example, you could take the train to Denali and then the bus to Fairbanks. One of the options is called Direct to the Wilderness that whisks you from the ship straight to Denali and skips Anchorage.

So many options, so little time. Don't forget your binoculars!

I personally have a slight preference for Tracy Arm/Sawyer Glaciers, so IMO, this is not a decision factor. FWIW, last year DW and I did a northbound, rented a car in Anchorage and made our own itinerary that included Denali and stayed at Princess' Lodge. Saved substantial dough and did not share a vehicle with 40 new friends. This year is a southbound and we will have 5 days beginning in Fairbanks w/ 40 new friends (the package was comped).

Thank you for your advices. Have decided to jump on the upgrade wagon too and changed mine to the Tundra as well. TA's side showed the tour as all fully booked but luckily Princess helped and performed an upgrade for us :o

For others, with the interest and ability to do some independent options, I never go less than Eielson in Denali. The visitor center, running water and flush toilets are enough of a benefit. :)

For those with 2 nights at Denali it is simple to arrange- BUT you do need to be able to go on your own, get the lodge transfer, pack your own food and drink, schedule yourself. A LOT of people can/will not. There is no additional cost for this option, with money back from the worthless Natural History tour.