I'm the only one who likes to eat in the Main Dining Room...

mawmawmaw123

Wow, Sweetie. You have a lot of good advice given to you in this thread. I was all for begging your parents for at least one night in the MDR until you mentioned your sibling who is autistic. I agree this might be a reason your parents are resistant to the MDR. The length of time to finish your dining experience can be a situation in your parents minds that they are not wanting to undertake for a wonderful vacation that they have worked very hard and saved all year for. Siblings in this kind of situation are often expected to relinquish their wants for the greater good of the family unit. That's not an easy spot for you to be in. Nor is it an easy spot for each and every other member of your family to be in.

If I were you, I would approach the parents with a non-emotional request for just one night of the cruise when you could all go to the MDR together. If this isn't acceptable to them, you might ask if they would join the roll call for your cruise on cruise critic so that you can virtually meet another family and physically meet them early in the cruise and then dine with them. If I were a parent of a 14 year old, I would not be comfortable with scheduling Any Time Dining and letting them go by themself. A companion you meet at the teen club would absolutely be acceptable in my eyes after parents meet the friend and parents of the friend. Going with your mom OR your dad may be an idea they are willing to entertain, while the rest of the family enjoys the buffet. You could present it to your parents as if it were just another excursion that costs nothing on the ship, but could give you and that one parent some quality time together or the entire family some quality time together and an experience to remember.

If none of your approaches to your parents are effective... I am so sympathtetic. If you are not contributing any of your own money for the vacation then your parents wishes take priority. I know it seems like forever and a day, but you could make it a personal goal that when you are of age to plan your own vacation and pay for it that you will dine as often or as least often as you want in the Main Dining Room.

Good luck with your efforts to compromise. The skills you learn and use to persuade your parents will truly be invaluable to you in your future. Please come back and update us with news of whether you were able to enjoy such a simple pleasure for yourself on your cruise. Regardless of the outcome of your MDR request, I hope you have a blast on your cruise!!!! The food is wonderful on a cruise, no matter where you choose to eat it!

Show your parents this thread. Let them see how mature you are about this situation. When they see other's responses, maybe they will relent a bit. As far as your special needs brother - we have been cruising with my special needs dd since she has been 7 years old. She is now 25. She has been on 17 CCL cruises with us, and 5 others, with more lined up. The dining room staff knows how to keep kids of all abilities and disabilities amused. They can also speed up the food service, and you can be out in an hour, if need be. Believe me - the dining room staff usually has more patience with her than we do!! Maybe you can offer to take your brother out between courses so mom can enjoy her meal a bit! Bring whatever things he needs to be kept amused at the table - dvd player with a favorite movie, crayons, etc. And as others have said - anytime dining may work better, as they are used to a quicker change-over of diners.

Edited by pe4all

Hi everyone. I'm a 14 year old girl and I'm going with my family on another cruise this summer. There are six members of my family going on the cruise, my parents, my younger sister, and my two younger brothers.

The problem is that I'm pretty much the only one in my family who likes to eat in the main dining room. I like to order things from the menu and I like the food there, much better than the lido buffet. I'd actually eat there all three meals of the day if I could. But everyone else in my family is impatient and says it's too slow and that the lido restaurant is much better. I've tried to convince them that the MDR is better but they won't listen to me! Sometimes when we eat at the MDR members of my family just start leaving until there's sometimes only 2 people left at the table! My mom always complains that she's too tired, my dad wants to go watch tv, my sister just goes along with them.

So how can I get them to eat at the MDR? I don't want to be the only one there. My dad says for me to go there alone if I want to go there so badly but I don't want to be there alone! Help!

I say go once by yourself and try it and see how you like it. I've eaten in the MDR by myself several times and enjoy it. You can ask to be seated at a big table with other people. Most people love to talk to tablemates, and you can get to know some very nice people. Even if you are at a small table by yourself, the tables are so close together you don't feel alone and people often talk as if they are at a big table.

You don't know until you try!

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

Hi everyone. I'm a 14 year old girl and I'm going with my family on another cruise this summer. There are six members of my family going on the cruise, my parents, my younger sister, and my two younger brothers.

The problem is that I'm pretty much the only one in my family who likes to eat in the main dining room. I like to order things from the menu and I like the food there, much better than the lido buffet. I'd actually eat there all three meals of the day if I could. But everyone else in my family is impatient and says it's too slow and that the lido restaurant is much better. I've tried to convince them that the MDR is better but they won't listen to me! Sometimes when we eat at the MDR members of my family just start leaving until there's sometimes only 2 people left at the table! My mom always complains that she's too tired, my dad wants to go watch tv, my sister just goes along with them.

So how can I get them to eat at the MDR? I don't want to be the only one there. My dad says for me to go there alone if I want to go there so badly but I don't want to be there alone! Help!

Sounds like your family has grown into the habit of simply eating, as opposed to dining, using that time to sit and talk about the days events, and anything else. It's probably a habit followed at home I assume.

Something tells me it's a lost cause. Like you, we enjoy eating in the MDR as much as possible, skipping only if there is a conflict with something else. I guess the choice is yours; do you want to "be" with them, or do you want to join a larger table.

There is some good advice above and probably more comfortable for non-social people, but you might check with the matire d the first day and explain your situation. I've been on cruises by myself and I know they usually have tables for single cruisers. They can probably find you a table with some kids your age that you might enjoy. If you don't like those kids, let the matire d know and they can probably move you the next night.

I'm not a social person, but after the first night, I really had a great time getting to know my table mates. I think your unique situation will make others curious so you won't really have to think of any small talk.

I think you have gotten a lot of good advice and I hope some of it works for you. Just one thing I want to say...I know it feels like forever now, but very soon you will be out of your parent's house and able to do whatever you want for a vacation. Enjoy the time with your family, and don't worry too much about this. You can take 100's of cruises if you want as an adult, and eat in the MDR all you want then.

My family never traveled when I was a child, and now I take 2-3 week vacations a year with my DH. It will be here before you know it.

We had wanted to skip the MDR on a few nights but my teenage son looked so disappointed so we all got dressed and went. It was an easy compromise because I only have one kid.

I agree with the other posters about going to the MDR on your own. No reason for you to miss out.

Would your sister or brothers like to go to the MDR with you? Have you asked them? It doesn't hurt to ask. Maybe just you and your Mom for some alone time? If no one will go with you, go alone, we have met some interesting people when we went to the MDR. However, we usually do the buffet for breakfast and lunch, but with so much norovirus breakouts in the news, we tend to go to the MDR now. You might want to use this argument? ;)

Our whole family enjoys the dining room, especially our children (ages 9-25). Like others have posted I would try the roll call for your cruise, eat at a larger table to meet new people, try the teen club for others that may want to join you as well;)

We have found the following helps expedite MDR eating times:

1. The fewer people at table, faster it goes.

2. Letting waiter know you want to get out by certain time helps them move things faster for you.

3. Don't order every course and skip dessert which you can get later or somewhere else on ship.

4. If everyone gets same courses instead of waiting for some to eat soup or other items, For example, everyone order appetizer, salad and main course. That helps waiter bring everyone same thing at same time.

Good luck. You can always request change of table if you meet up with a friend you want to eat with and let your family go elsewhere. Eating every meal in the lido would be awful to me. Glad you like MDR, so do I. I like getting dressed every night and have someone wait on me. Enjoy!

My 10 yo loves eating in the dining room and he'd rather sit down and be served then wait in a line up on the lido. I agree with him. Usually him and I go to the dining room for most meals, breakfast/brunch and dinner while others in my party go to lido.

Hopefully we can do some sort of compromise. Thanks for the tips!

I'm not a very social person so that wouldn't work for me.

If you want to eat in the MDR and don't feel like being social and sitting with others, just ask for a table for one. Make sure your family has Any Time Dining and you are set. Take a book and enjoy your food.

We love eating in the MDR, my other half, our kids (since they were 9 14 and 17) and now 15 years later with one son in law we still love the MDR.

We always do no matter if it is just the 2 of us or the family cruising and we like a big table so we meet new people!

I would ask your family to give it one more chance before they give up on the MDR. When your waiter comes just explain to them that your family likes to eat fast. I promise they will not be insulted nor will they mind. Or maybe you guys should try anytime dining? It seems like anytime dining doesn't take as long because they are trying to get people seated that are waiting for tables. But honestly, everyone is different and waiters don't know your family likes you get through a meal fast unless you tell them that. Give them a chance! Good luck!!

@ the OP: Sorry to hear that your wishes aren't being heard. If your parents paid for the entire cruise without your contribution, then their word is final. However, in your first post, you said that your parents gave you permission to go eat in the MDR alone. So I would recommend one of the following.

1. Tough it out and eat in the MDR alone; your parents gave you permission, after all. You're probably uncomfortable because America seems to have an unwritten rule against eating alone anywhere nicer than McDonald's. (And at age 14, you may feel more self-conscious about doing so than an adult would.) Lucky for you, cruise ships are exempt :), and people eat alone all the time, even in sit-down venues. Remember that the MDR isn't just for dinner. They also serve breakfast (port days) and brunch (sea days). Perhaps you'll have a better time eating a morning meal alone; it's faster-paced, and more people eat there by themselves than at dinner.

2. Go to Circle C the first night, when it's easiest to make friends. Find out who also wants to eat in the MDR. If you have anytime dining, form a group with your peers, and go eat dinner together. It might be even easier a year later, when you'll be old enough for Club O2 (15 to 17). Older teens tend to enjoy formal dining better, and usually have fewer hang-ups about what's cool and what's uncool, like dressing up. So you'll have a better chance of finding like-minded cruise friends to eat dinner with. In the meantime, follow #1.

3. I don't know how strict and/or stubborn your parents are (it sounds like quite a bit, based on what you said), but like others already suggested, at least try negotiating a compromise, like eat in the MDR on two nights, and in the buffet the rest of the time. Here's some leverage for you: http://www.zydecocruiser.net/menus/CarnivalCruiseLineMenus.htm. It's a listing of Carnival food menus. Find the one corresponding to your sailing, and show it to your parents. If they see the menu in writing, and it appeals to them, you have a much better chance of winning. Let them pick when to eat in the MDR, unless you have your heart set on specific day's menu items.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

Sorry to hear that. And no, you are not the only one who likes to eat in the main dining room. Sometimes my family could not agree on what time to eat, some would want to go earlier than others. There were a few times my teenage daughter and niece went to the main dining room by themselves to eat instead of dining with us older folks. Lol

If you meet other teens on the ship, maybe you could dine with them and their families in the main dining room so you wouldn't be sitting alone. :)