Hotel in Barcelona

Texan1636

We are sailing on the May 29 Mariner cruise out of Barcelona and are trying to decide between the Mandarin Oriental and the Hotel Arts (which we understand is managed by Ritz Carlton) for our stay the night before departure. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I note that the Hotel Arts appears to be right by the cruise terminal, but I assume it's not walking distance with luggage - I wonder whether taxi drivers would be upset if we go such a short distance.

We stayed at the Hotel Artes pre cruise last year. It is a beautiful hotel, lovely service and magnificent views from the rooms. It also had one of the best buffet breakfasts we have ever had. It is not right next door to the cruise terminal. It is about 1 or 2 miles away.

You cannot go wrong with the Arts.

It is beautifully situated on a marina with fabulous restaurants, a promenade for several miles of ocean front walking and great sight seeing (particularly if you are fascinated by clothing optional beaches). The HOHO bus stops right in front so you have easy access to all that this fabulous city has to offer.

The cruise terminal is not a walk with luggage!

Enjoy!

I have only stayed at the hotel across the street from 1898, but wonderful area. I think it was Le Meridian? I booked through Priceline, like I do from time to time. Price was about $99 per night at the time, back in 2010? 1898, like Tina said, 1898 is lovely, we had dinner there one night, we had drinks after dinner in their lobby bar. You can't go wrong in Barcelona picking highly rated hotel, there are many.

Edited by jhp

I agree the Hotel 1898 is a great place to stay. Great location on La Rambla and close to everything. We have stayed there a taken a cab to the port. I also noticed you are on our cruise May 29 and from Texas . Hope to meet you on board. We are from Georgetown,Texas and raise Longhorn cattle. See you soon. We are doing the pre cruise with Regent in Madrid.

Kandy and Ron

I have only stayed at the hotel across the street from 1898, but wonderful area. I think it was Le Meridian? I booked through Priceline, like I do from time to time. Price was about $99 per night at the time, back in 2010? 1898, like Tina said, 1898 is lovely, we had dinner there one night, we had drinks after dinner in their lobby bar. You can't go wrong in Barcelona picking highly rated hotel, there are many.

Olivia-

Wasn't that a great cruise? 2012.....

Texan1636,

If this is your first time in Barcelona I would recommend the Mandarin Oriental as it is much better locate for sightseeing, right on the Passeig the Gracia within a block of two Gaudi houses. The Arts is nice but it's a long walk or a taxi ride from the center of town.

Just checked the hotel for April 2015 - recently appeared in my cruise account details - Rey Juan Carlos!

Anyone stayed there please?

It looks and sounds awful according to reviews on the web etc. In the middle of nowhere, in need of refurbishment and it just looks dreadful on the hotel website, absolute monstrosity, not an ounce of warmth or character. Seems an odd choice. I might well enquire of Regent why they have chosen what looks like a right dump.

You cannot go wrong with the Arts.

It is beautifully situated on a marina with fabulous restaurants' date=' a promenade for several miles of ocean front walking and great sight seeing (particularly if you are fascinated by clothing optional beaches). The HOHO bus stops right in front so you have easy access to all that this fabulous city has to offer.

The cruise terminal is not a walk with luggage!

Enjoy![/quote']

Another vote for the Arts. We found most things were within a 10-15 minute walk and you can not beat the service and views. Gita a room or suite on the club floor if you can.

Arts and 1898, though pickpockets abound in the vicinity of the latter. One old guy spat on my jacket in an attempt to distract me as we exited the taxi right in front of the hotel! My wife slapped him and he ran off...