How late can you board?

Mytime2014

My friend and I were looking at Seattle stuff today and she suggested that we take a ferry to Bainbridge Island and back THE MORNING OF THE CRUISE....and plan to get on the ship about 2 - 2:30 [sail time is 4 p.m. ]

of course my anxiety went into high gear! I realize I'm going to be on the ship for most of 7 days, so the need to explore "can" be put off for an hour or two.

I suggested we not do that and plan to go to the market the morning of departure and do the Bainbridge ferry on July 4th - okay, maybe that was a good idea.

Our package includes a shuttle to the ship - do those run at specific times or are they on call?

We are staying at the Sheraton and she is fairly sure they would have a car take us to the ship since it would only be a few minutes from the hotel and would be available whenever we wanted to go [like at 2 p.m.] and they could hold our bags for us until we were ready to come back to the hotel.

Am I being WAY too paranoid? I want to be reasonable, but I do not want to be the person being paged for the life boat drill, or the captain saying - how many are missing....just 2, those women from Texas!! Or at the last minute having to shell out 50 bucks for a taxi when its not necessary

If you are staying at the Downtown Sheraton -- you will be told what time the bus will be stopping at the hotel to take you to the pier. The bus begins at the airport.

We have done that a couple of times years ago.

Now we use AlreadyThereTownCar and arrange for them to pick us up at a certain time.

You should be at the pier no later than 2:30.

Lifeboat drill for a 4 PM sailing is usually at 3:15 -- but even that varies by ship.

Hi

Remember you will not be the only ship in port. No way I would do this.. Your ferry could break down, a car accident to back up traffic. Lots of things can happen or not happen. what would happen if you missed the ferry?

look around Seattle lots of things to do

Mary

My friend and I were looking at Seattle stuff today and she suggested that we take a ferry to Bainbridge Island and back THE MORNING OF THE CRUISE....and plan to get on the ship about 2 - 2:30 [sail time is 4 p.m. ]

of course my anxiety went into high gear! I realize I'm going to be on the ship for most of 7 days, so the need to explore "can" be put off for an hour or two.

I suggested we not do that and plan to go to the market the morning of departure and do the Bainbridge ferry on July 4th - okay, maybe that was a good idea.

Our package includes a shuttle to the ship - do those run at specific times or are they on call?

We are staying at the Sheraton and she is fairly sure they would have a car take us to the ship since it would only be a few minutes from the hotel and would be available whenever we wanted to go [like at 2 p.m.] and they could hold our bags for us until we were ready to come back to the hotel.

Am I being WAY too paranoid? I want to be reasonable, but I do not want to be the person being paged for the life boat drill, or the captain saying - how many are missing....just 2, those women from Texas!! Or at the last minute having to shell out 50 bucks for a taxi when its not necessary

If sail time is 4:p.m. I believe they would have muster about 3:00 to 3:15 p.m. I'm like you & would hesitate to cut it that close.. Think you should check with the Hotel & ask them what time they run the shuttles.. The Cruise line must give the departing manifest to Homeland Security 60 minutes prior to departure so you must check in before that..

IMO you should check with HAL & ask them what tis the latest you can check in..

Think about it.. What would happen if the ferry was late or there was a major traffic tie up, from the Hotel to the pier.. HAL will not wait for you..

We normally check in for our cruises early & spend the time on board exploring the ship

Edited by serendipity1499

The general rule for embarkation (in any USA port) is that you should be at the port AT LEAST 90 minutes before the scheduled departure. Personally, we prefer to be at the port by noon since we can get aboard, relax, enjoy lunch, etc.

In Seattle, if you take the ferry out to Bainbridge (we enjoy that area) keep in mind that you will still have to retrieve your luggage and get to the port. This takes time, and traffic can be unpredictable. One little traffic accident can keep a last minute person from getting to the port on time.

Hank

Funny, I just had a discussion with some friends about pre-cruise anxiety, and how I cannot relax until I am ON THE SHIP :D

I do not think you are being overly cautious at all. There are so many things that likely will not go wrong, but still, something might go wrong. I would not take the chance. I would not be able to enjoy Bainbridge Island, and I'd be worried the entire time we were not heading towards the ship.

As KK said, if it is a HAL shuttle, you will be told what time it is picking you up, you don't get to specify. The one time we used a HAL hotel/ship transfer, IIRC it was around 11:15 a.m. If you don't take it at that time, they don't make other arrangements for you that are more convenient.

IMHO it isn't about having more time to explore the ship -- it is about getting there without stressing yourself, and arriving well before the time you must be aboard.

You and your travelling companion seem to have very different styles/approaches :)

i will call the most appropriate person in SEattle -Hal or Sheraton? to find out about shuttle times. \

oh, if we missed the shuttle, we could just walk to the ship. um NO.

i just want 80 days to fly on by....of course I haven't done my pass port and haven't found "the dress"so there is plenty to keep me busy may even work the 2nd job to have money in case a veranda/balcony fairy

comes along!

If you are staying at the Downtown Sheraton -- you will be told what time the bus will be stopping at the hotel to take you to the pier. The bus begins at the airport.

We have done that a couple of times years ago.

Now we use AlreadyThereTownCar and arrange for them to pick us up at a certain time.

You should be at the pier no later than 2:30.

Lifeboat drill for a 4 PM sailing is usually at 3:15 -- but even that varies by ship.

How much do you usually pay for the town car service?

The ferry to Bainbridge and the island itself is too nice a trip to waste when you are rushed and anxious. A nice Main Street with cute shops to wander and a great restaurant right on the harbor for lunch. The ferry ride is fun with beautiful views of the Seattle skyline for photos. So don't waste a nice trip to Bainbridge when you don't really have the time. If you want something to do before boarding go on down to the waterfront for an hour or 2, have your morning coffee and a Danish at the original Starbucks, and see what Seattle is like. My son lived there for 20 years so we know it well. He moved to San Diego for 18 months and they missed Seattle so much they just moved back.

Your suggestion trumps your friend's idea. And no....you are definitely not paranoid.

i will call the most appropriate person in SEattle -Hal or Sheraton? to find out about shuttle times...QUOTE]

The hotel to ship transport is usually at one time only. You won't be given that time until you check into the hotel. You will then be given a time for your luggage to be ready in the morning and a later time for all to gather for the transport to ship. Usually a letter with the information will be given to you at hotel check in. There usually is also a HAL rep at the hotel for limited time periods. (I'm assuming that your "package" includes airport to hotel, the hotel, and hotel to ship. If not, then my response may not be right.)

Edited by Jemima

Spend the morning at Chihuly Garden and Glass. If I ever get back to Seattle that is where I will go back to. Absolutely beautiful.

http://www.chihulygardenandglass.com

Then take the shuttle to the ship. Don't start your cruise stressed.

I think this is what we'll do - Pike, Bainbridge and maybe Lake Union on Saturday - or maybe just Bainbridge since I read they will have fireworks on the 4th, then the monorail [?] to chihuly area on Saturday morning departure.

First I will be confirming shuttle/transportation times on the day of the cruise. If it was just me, I'd check out of the hotel early and go straight to the ship cause I'm so excited about getting there! I think once I have both feet and my bag on the ship, I will relax. I've had too many close calls with people who putz around and think everyone will wait for them. That may happen at a Sunday School luncheon.....but I'm not risking my cruise on it.

i will call the most appropriate person in SEattle -Hal or Sheraton? to find out about shuttle times...QUOTE]

The hotel to ship transport is usually at one time only. You won't be given that time until you check into the hotel. You will then be given a time for your luggage to be ready in the morning and a later time for all to gather for the transport to ship. Usually a letter with the information will be given to you at hotel check in. There usually is also a HAL rep at the hotel for limited time periods. (I'm assuming that your "package" includes airport to hotel, the hotel, and hotel to ship. If not, then my response may not be right.)

You are exactly right. And that is what I expect - its not like we are paying mega bucks for suites and perks that would entitle us to a car at our beck and call!! I would rather have this expectation and be safe, then if there is an "on call" time for the shuttle - it would be a pleasant surprise

I have used the Washington State Ferry at Bainbridge to commute to Seattle for many years.

Normally they are right on time however always be prepared for the unexpected. If there is a threat or security emergency you could be stuck on the island for several hours with no way to get back to Seattle. If another boat is in distress the ferry will go to leave its course to assist.

If there is fog you will be slowed down. If you are talking about July 4 Elliott Bay between Bainbridge is crazy with pleasure boats getting ready for fireworks. I personally would opt out of the ferry ride- you will see pretty much the same sights from the ship when you sail (except the Bainbridge terminal).

I'm like many here- I want to be on the ship on embarkation day and unpacked hopefully before we sail.

I agree with Frank...don't go to Bainbridge on the 4th. And if you don't like crowds, stay away from any of the waterfronts on the 4th.

Enjoy your time in Seattle, bring your patience, sense of humor and give yourself extra time to get anywhere.