Things to know when cruising with a 2 year old

My family is sailing next year on the allure. We have a 9 year old and 2 year old. I have a few questions.

1. What shows are the best for my 2 year old?

2. I read they offer toy bags to take to your room for the week. Is that true?

3. What is the best stroller to take?

4. How early do you need to be to get a good spot to watch the parade? How often is the parade?

5. Any other tips would be helpful including ideas on certain items not to leave without.

Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Best bet is keep your expectations minimal. Make time for normal routines and naps.

I wouldn't recommend anything bigger than an umbrella stroller.

At that age when I had my son on a cruise I took lots of sunscreen, bibs, wipes. Extra clothes. Hats. Had a stash of small toys that were "delivered" during nap time so something occupied him while I got ready for dinner.

On the allure I think you have a splash zone the little can use which is good since unless he us fully PT he can't use the pool.

I believe there are quite a few options available to you on Allure. I don't have any experience with that ship, but hopefully someone else can help you out with that.

I have travelled with young kids though. My youngest was 14 months when we first cruised & my middle child was 2 turning 3 that trip. My best suggestion is to bring double the patience & half the baby gear. Cruising with babies is at best the most fun family vacation you'll ever have. At its worst its child minding, cruise ship style. Either way is a huge step up from a staycation. Have a great time planning & an even better time travelling!

My family is sailing next year on the allure. We have a 9 year old and 2 year old. I have a few questions.

4. How early do you need to be to get a good spot to watch the parade? How often is the parade?

5. Any other tips would be helpful including ideas on certain items not to leave without.

Thank you

We took our one year old on the Navigator this past week and i think he had a blast. Received so much attention from everyone.

-we didn't watch too many shows as he didn't stay still for too long so we left

-we bought a small descent quality stroller "graco breeze" and it worked very well. Easy to fold up and comfortable for the lil guy

-yes you can take bags of toys free of charge as well as trade them for new bags of toys anytime you want

-I can't remember if they had changing tables in the restrooms on the allure but they didn't have a single one on the Navigator. Hopefully he/she will be potty trained by that time

-take lots of snacks, this keep our lil one under control at dinner well until he ran out the last 2 days. We thought we had enough :(

-lots of nap time

Of course our lil one is smaller but might be somewhat helpful info

As for the haters who say don't take kids! They can suck it!!! It's a family cruise not an adult inclusive ;)

We just cruised on LOS with our 2.5 yr old ( this is her second cruise, first one on Disney Nov 13)

If your 2 yr old is anything like mine I would keep them home (if they go to daycare) at least a week before the cruise - mine still catches cold so easily. You don't want an extra cranky sick 2 yr old on your vacation. I didnt do that so I had an extra cranky toddler with me

The only thing i brought was books and iphone loaded with games - only the iphone helped

My daughter had fever the first two days and mostly slept so one of us was always with her in the room

By the third day she was better and enjoyed Labadee immensely - she loves the water

There were no shows suitable for 2 yr old that I could see - even the ice show with the sparkly costumes did not keep her still for 5 minutes

The promenade parade with the Dreamworks characters was entertaining but it lasts like 5 min

I was quite disappointed with the nursery , it was tiny and all they did is put on the TV so the kids are hypnotized the whole time staring at the TV - thats for $6/hr ... for free she can be hypnotized by my phone lol

While we the adults enjoyed RCCL very much - it is not for small children. the H2O zone is for potty trained children only. My poor DD would go and try to make friends with the older kids, but didn't receive much attention lol. She had way more fun on Disney she seemed bored on LOS

We had my mom with us so there was always somebody watching her so the other adults can enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Best bet is keep your expectations minimal. Make time for normal routines and naps.

I wouldn't recommend anything bigger than an umbrella stroller.

At that age when I had my son on a cruise I took lots of sunscreen, bibs, wipes. Extra clothes. Hats. Had a stash of small toys that were "delivered" during nap time so something occupied him while I got ready for dinner.

On the allure I think you have a splash zone the little can use which is good since unless he us fully PT he can't use the pool.

Thanks for all the good advice. It is mentioned a couple times that they cannot go in pool if not potty trained...my daughter will be just potty trained but I would still put a swim diaper on in case she would have an accident. Is that allowed?

My DD and SIL cruised with their 9-year old twins and 2-year old toddler a couple of months ago, and she said the experience was a total success based on 2 factors: she made time for the little guy's nap every afternoon, and after one attempt in the MDR, they gave it up for buffet dining every evening. The MDR just took too long to expect a small child to sit and be happy. They had a great vacation, and are looking forward to more family cruises in the future.

Thanks for all the good advice. It is mentioned a couple times that they cannot go in pool if not potty trained...my daughter will be just potty trained but I would still put a swim diaper on in case she would have an accident. Is that allowed?

No, swim diapers are not permitted. If she's not completely potty trained, keep her out of the pool. One accident would mean the pool would need to be drained and completely sanitized so it would be closed for at least a day. Not a way to endear yourself to fellow passengers.

I'm afraid I have to question the integrity of someone who would knowingly bring a sick child with a contagious illness on a cruise ship and expose thousands of others. And people blame the ship when they get noro - it's your fellow passengers.

No, swim diapers are not permitted. If she's not completely potty trained, keep her out of the pool. One accident would mean the pool would need to be drained and completely sanitized so it would be closed for at least a day. Not a way to endear yourself to fellow passengers.

I'm afraid I have to question the integrity of someone who would knowingly bring a sick child with a contagious illness on a cruise ship and expose thousands of others. And people blame the ship when they get noro - it's your fellow passengers.

You question the integrity of someone who travels with a kid (or adult) who has a COLD? Get real

I am not sure if this was geared towards me , but let me explain our situation.

At 8:30 am on the day of the cruise (that was 2 hours before I ended up in the ER as well LOL - don't worry i was not contagious) we took my DD to the doctor and she did flu test , blood test ,ear test all tests possible. She said it is just a cold not even the flu.

My DD did not have any vomiting or diarrhea , not even a runny nose. Just some high fever which broke out the third day and she was fine. We kept her mostly in the room the first two days and then we would walk outside on deck 4 and by the heli pad away from other folks.

While we were prepared to cancel our cruise due to my circumstances .... I cannot imagine that people who have booked a year in advance paid tons of money, waited with anticipation will cancel their vacation because their child (or they) got a runny nose before the cruise - yep get real . You mean to tell me that all 4000 passengers and crew are always healthy on the ship? a big LOL for you :D

Thank you

bring everything you think you may need..and more. anything on board will be more expensive and may not be available, or the brand you prefer.

if they are NOT fully potty trained they CANNOT go into any pool or hot tub.

bring an umbrella stroller, anything else will be too bulky for the hallways and storing in the cabin.

the wait staff will bring out something for them to snack on while everyone else is still deciding what to order.

NO. no swim diapers at all.

I have to question the character of someone who feels the need to insult others and post in a thread titled "thing to know when cruising with a 2 year old." Kids get fevers all the time from the most mundane things, including a common cold, or teething.

As to op, traveling with a toddler isn't bad, as long as you keep things on their schedule. Nap like usual, bring toys/snacks/iPhones to dinner. And if something isn't working, be ready to change course or leave, such as leaving a show/dinner.

Edited by gjkubel

On the Allure, there is a small splash pool that will allow swim diapers. This is the only pool on the Oasis class ships that is meant for babies and toddlers. If your child is walking on his / her own by then, it can be a hassle to keep them confined to this small pool only, as they will want to go elsewhere in the swim play area.

For dinner, an iPad or the like can be a great distraction for your child. Keep the volume off and the screen pointed away from other people so you don't disturb your fellow passengers.

Be on the lookout for photo ops with Dreamworks characters. Check your cruise compass. They often make an appearance in front of Studio 5 at 7:30 each day after first seating dinner.

The library has a very small selection of children's books you can borrow.

My kids loved the ice show. For any show that you do attend, I'd recommend sitting near the back so you can make a quick exit with your child if you need to.

You need to show up an hour beforehand for the parades in order to get a great spot, but you can still show up later and find a decent viewing area.

Umbrella stroller is the best for travelling. Remember that you need to take it into taxis and buses when you are in port, plus your stateroom is not going to be very big. Try and get a model that has a canvas for shade.

Your stateroom TV will have a Dreamworks channel. This will show Dreamworks movies 24/7.

When my son was small, we took him almost everywhere with us. We were very lucky....he was interested in any and all of the shows at night (early). We brought our stroller, took him with us on shore excursions. We had no trouble at all with him on a cruise when he was 2 years old.