Juneau taku lodge float plane or helicopter - votes please!

azmaui

Hi!

I know I'm comparing apples to oranges but I'm trying to decide which excursion to take my parent on:

1. Float plane taku lodge with salmon bake

2. Helicopter with stop on a glacier

I've done them before and loved them both. Taking my parents for the first time to Alaska and honestly I have no clue which one to take them on. I would appreciate any votes especially from seniors. I want it to be amazing experience for them, they love beautify scenery which they would get on either :) thanks for your help! Otherwise it will be coin toss :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I haven't done either of the trips, but I can tell you that I took my mother and aunt on a keep tour of a glacier last year in Iceland and both of them said it was the highlight of the trip. They still talk about it a year later. Something about the majesty of it all I think.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I've done both. What do your parents say? What would they like to see or do? Eat a nice salmon meal, walk on a glacier?

There are far more people who go on glacier flights compared to Taku Lodge. Frankly, this survey is going to be skewed probably?

If it truly is an equal choice, then have them just pick one from a hat. :)

Both are excellent tours to consider.

I've done both, and to be honest my favorite was actually a third option. One year I took an extended flightseeing trip and saw much more than on either the helicopter or the Taku Lodge trip. All were very enjoyable and however you get up in the air the scenery is spectacular. Personally I'd go with whichever has the longest flight time I could afford.

I've done both, and to be honest my favorite was actually a third option. One year I took an extended flightseeing trip and saw much more than on either the helicopter or the Taku Lodge trip. All were very enjoyable and however you get up in the air the scenery is spectacular. Personally I'd go with whichever has the longest flight time I could afford.

Excellent point, I too like to spend my time in the air. Nothing displays the beauty and vastness of Alaska more. :)

The Taku Lodge is the shortest flight. The meal/grounds/lodge are the significant factors of this tour selection. Definitely not the flight.

I've done both. What do your parents say? What would they like to see or do? Eat a nice salmon meal, walk on a glacier?

There are far more people who go on glacier flights compared to Taku Lodge. Frankly, this survey is going to be skewed probably?

If it truly is an equal choice, then have them just pick one from a hat. :)

Both are excellent tours to consider.

My parents just want beautiful scenery. We can always do gold creek salmon bake if we end up doing helicopter.

I tried comparing flight times - Taku flight is 35 min and 15 min out.

5 glacier seaplane - 40 min flight

Helicopters are usually 30-35 min flight. All really close!

Hi, did you book it through cruise ship? I tried looking for that option and can't find it - 5 glacier seaplane exploration is only 40 min... Thanks for your feedback!

How senior are your parents? We are 53 and 62. We did Taku Lodge and loved it. I guess the flight could be considered short, but we were overwhelmed with all the planning so we didn't look at what other flight options there might be. Anyway, the flight was wonderful, the lodge was in a really nice setting and right across the lake from Taku glacier. The salmon was the best I've ever had (before or since). It was a pretty small group - maybe 24 people? A bear came to eat the sand from the grill (we were there in August) so we went out to look at her and take pictures. After lunch we went for a brief walk on the trail (very walkable) and the guide pointed out various flora and told us stories. It was a lot of fun.

Hi, did you book it through cruise ship? I tried looking for that option and can't find it - 5 glacier seaplane exploration is only 40 min... Thanks for your feedback!

This was a number of years ago so can't remember the name of the company. I had booked a flight thru the cruise line and it was canceled because of early morning fog. Did a walk up thru this operator (they are located right at the corner of the harbor pier Marine walk downtown) and got on an afternoon flight. This was easy as I was traveling alone, a need for multiple seats make a walk up hard.

Another option is a flight out of another port. I have scheduled flights with Mountain Flying service twice (one in Haines and once in Skagway) but cancelled one for weather and another because I caught a cold earlier in the trip. They were very nice too work with and I hope to use them in the future. http://www.mountainflyingservice.com/

Michelle at Island Wings in Ketchican is great for flights to Misty Fjords but I think the Glacier flights offer more spectacular scenery.

I'm sure BQ has lots of recommendatiuons

My friends (who we took with us) talked us into the Taku Lodge. I thought, why would I go somewhere to eat when we have a BOAT LOAD of food on the ship. I was wrong! I loved it. The flight was wonderful and the lodge with their dogs made my day! (I'm a major Labrador lover) and then there was the momma bear with her 3 cubs. You just can't get better than that. I have to admit also that my husband doesn't like helicopters, everything has to work perfectly! He is an aircraft mechanic though. Please don't give me guff on the helicopter thought, it's just how my husband feels. Really though it's what your parents would prefer.

Good luck and happy cruising, your a good daughter!

Pam

Thank you so much for all the great feedback and different perspectives. Your comments helped me to make a decision!

We will go on our own to Mendenhall glacier and then we will do Taku lodge. Very excited! I think my parents will love it :-)

Happy travels everyone and thanks again :-)

we did taku almost 20 years ago on our very first cruise, which was an alaskan cruise, for our 10th anniversary. The flight was amazing, but the food at Taku was even more amazing. Almost 20 years later and my hubby still says that was the best salmon he's ever eaten. I think your parents will love it.

we did taku almost 20 years ago on our very first cruise' date=' which was an alaskan cruise, for our 10th anniversary. The flight was amazing, but the food at Taku was even more amazing. Almost 20 years later and my hubby still says that was the best salmon he's ever eaten. I think your parents will love it.[/quote']

It was also my first cruise and I too remember the salmon and the float plane trip to and from the lodge. It was in mid-May (probably the first cruise of the season), chilly, atmospheric, and too early for the resident bear that sometimes showed up to "clean" the grill. I did see a bear foraging in the river on the flight back to Juneau - my first bear sighting ever!

In my humble opinion, the float plane is the way to go. It is a very Alaskan adventure that you will not enjoy in the same way in a helicopter.

It was also my first cruise and I too remember the salmon and the float plane trip to and from the lodge. It was in mid-May (probably the first cruise of the season), chilly, atmospheric, and too early for the resident bear that sometimes showed up to "clean" the grill. I did see a bear foraging in the river on the flight back to Juneau - my first bear sighting ever!

In my humble opinion, the float plane is the way to go. It is a very Alaskan adventure that you will not enjoy in the same way in a helicopter.

How was walking the area around the lodge? Someone said that it might be snowy or muddy that early in the season?

How was walking the area around the lodge? Someone said that it might be snowy or muddy that early in the season?

but the area was pretty limited 20 years ago. It was chilly, damp, and there was snow and mud. Given the time for the cooking and meal, the balance of the time to explore too far afield was fairly short. All in all, the time spent in travel and at the lodge (especially by the fire!) was pretty well spot on in my opinion. We were not standing around wondering when the plane was coming.

A great excursion, meal, and a terrific first "exploration" in Alaska.

Edited by Mike2131