aft or side????

eddiesgal

Thanks to both canderson's and Mahdnc's pix we booked 8166 on Constellation in May 06. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Your welcome on the pictures. Take good care of that cabin because we have that one booked on the Constellation 7-8 months after you!!

I am also interested in info on the aft cabins, but no one is mentioning the ones on SKY DECK, are those balconies as big as the ones aft on the lower decks, and is there too much noise since the grill area is right over them.

I am a bit confused -- I looked at the pictures of the aft balconies, and while they are indeed very large, they appear to be no larger than several of the CC cabins on Penthouse Deck (6) which are well aft and scattered amongst the suites. Those cabins (had one last year) also have very large balconies, which are made of teak (like those for the suites) and have less of an issue with being seen from above (still somewhat of an issue). Has anyone had one of these cabins (there are only four of them) and an aft and compared (not that it matters much at that point)?

I would love to know more about these CC cabins (penthouse deck between the RSs) as well, as we have already have one booked for March 2007 (6135), but would love to know more about them. Anyone had experience with these? :D

I am also interested in info on the aft cabins, but no one is mentioning the ones on SKY DECK, are those balconies as big as the ones aft on the lower decks, and is there too much noise since the grill area is right over them.

Nothing really wrong at all about the aft cabins on Deck 9. They are also very large. There is a little noise that is heard from the deck above. Since we book the corner FV cabins which have the more exposed balcony, we prefer to be a little further away from Deck 10 and hence we look for Deck 8 or 7.

terilynns: I was in one of these on Summit last year and it was great. That's how I know the balcony is very large in them. There are rumors that butlers offer services to the peons in these rooms, not our experience -- but now they're CC (were 1C when we traveled last year) so we get most of the perks minus the butler.

What cruise are you on? We now have 6136 reserved for Connie on 3/2/07 -- maybe we'll see you?

I am a bit confused -- I looked at the pictures of the aft balconies, and while they are indeed very large, they appear to be no larger than several of the CC cabins on Penthouse Deck (6) which are well aft and scattered amongst the suites.

I measured the aft balconies on Deck 8 to be 20 ft deep (that is the actual length of the balcony divider). While I haven't been in the CC cabins you speak of, I don't believe their balconies are that deep (although they should be the same width). I realize that they are fairly large in their own right and you make good points about other advantages associated with them.

terilynns: I was in one of these on Summit last year and it was great. That's how I know the balcony is very large in them. There are rumors that butlers offer services to the peons in these rooms, not our experience -- but now they're CC (were 1C when we traveled last year) so we get most of the perks minus the butler.

What cruise are you on? We now have 6136 reserved for Connie on 3/2/07 -- maybe we'll see you?

Dedlaw:

Unfortuntately, we will miss you by one cruise! :( We leave on 3/12/07. But thanks for your info. We have done a CS before but I have booked two other CC's and an FV now. But I'm really thrilled about the idea of a nice-large balcony for the Caribbean.

I figured the depth of the balconies on these Deck 6 CC's at 15 feet or a bit more. The balcony comfortably fits two padded lounge chairs, two regular balcony chairs and a small table, with plenty of room to move around.

Maybe the nice side balconies are the same size, but I really like the panoramic view of the wake and the whole perspective of looking out the back of the ship...even though the side balconies might be the same size (and I hear the ones next to the PHS are teak and very nice) you still just have the view of the water (or land) going by. I also like the air circulation but no wind you get back there with the afts.

Well, unless you have x-ray vision, you cannot see more off an aft balcony (except for FV's at the corners) than you can at the side -- they're equally panoramic, just different panoramas. And with a deep balcony with the typical partitions, there is no "wind" except at the rail on the side balconies. It seems to me that there are few of either type of CC cabins with oversized balconies on the M Class ships, and snagging any one of them is good fortune.

Dedlaw, you are, of course, technically correct on all points you refuted in my post. To ME, the afts just have an intangible quality that cannot be duplicated in a side balcony, even though physically all things are equal (except for the wind...you are correct it is windy at the rail of a side and not an aft...to me that is a huge plus for the afts). I also feel that when the ship is moving there is air circulating in the afts, even for me as I'm pulled way up to the back in the shade. I have no knowledge of wind dynamics, and it has surprised me, but just the way the air circulates under the partitions makes it very comfortable. And while the degree of the view may be the same, I love watching the wake.

But if my only choice was was one of the deep sides, I certainly would not turn it down!

Warmwinds, lets cruise on the same ship, same time, and trade off hosting drinks on our balconies. I too love watching the wake from the back of the ship as it's moving, so it really does come down to the psychic benefits of watching the world go by sideways (but with a chance to see what's up ahead) vs. watching where you've been, with a sunstained wake gently lapping off into the distance.

Love the aft balconies. Much larger and about 1/2 covered, 1/2 shade on Millenium class ships. I really believe that the idea of motion is hightly exaggerated for aft cabins. First of all, side to side motion depends more on which deck you are on - much less on lower decks. Up and down motion is much more pronounced at the front of the ship. The ship appears to "jump into the waves". Actually, the back of the ship seems to experience very little "up and down motion". Bottom line is that most of the time the seas are calm and motion is not a problem. When the seas get rought, motion can be felt everywhere on the ship.

You have to wait until 3/07 for your next cruise? Were any afts available or do you just prefer the sides? I think I'll take a walk down there when we first board...maybe if we beat the occupants there they might be open for a peak if they are still being cleaned...you have my curiosity piqued now.

Uh, yeah maybe I'll remember to book for 3/07...I wonder where it's going...but sounds like no afts or good sides will be left so what's the point...

warmwinds: Was offered choice of aft or sides -- having had one of the sides before, and having enjoyed it, AND having been invited to cruise by friends who will be right down the hall in a similar cabin, it made sense. In fact, these friends were met on a cruise last year on Summit. Might have tried the aft otherwise. The cruise is 10 days, from Ft. L. with ports at St. Kitts, St. Lucia, St. Thomas, St. Martin (very holy cruise) and Barbados -- with two sea days at each end.

Archived