Cruiselines of choice for the affluent: Article

C 2 C

The question to ask is: If the affluent can afford the luxury lines, why are they choosing the mass market lines? You can't dismiss it based only on the number of ships.

The question to ask is: If the affluent can afford the luxury lines, why are they choosing the mass market lines? You can't dismiss it based only on the number of ships.

Actually, you pretty much can. It's a statistical effect. See my post # 24 above.

This quote is from the study's "methodology" section:

"Experience and familiarity with the 19 cruise brands listed in the survey were both low. Familiarity with the luxury brands was surprisingly low."

In other words, most of those surveyed have never heard of the luxury lines, and have no clue about the different levels of service being offered. Combine that with the large number of sailings and cabins on offer from the mass market lines and you have your explanation why so many end up on the mass market lines. It means very little other than the big lines have more business. If these people had full information, the results would likely be very different.

Edited by jan-n-john

Thank you for noticing. :)

We try to pay attention to everything that our guests are saying, and will comment when necessary. We occasionally do miss a few posts, and do wish it was a bit more positive on here - especially lately. We have a lot of positive stories on Facebook and Twitter, is always a bit surprising that Cruise Critic is usually the most negative. Regardless, we're here for you all, and are always able to assist.

Yes, there is a lot of negativity around but, if you check, there is a lot of excitment and positive feeling about the new suite perks now that the complainers have stopped posting. There is a group of Cruise Critic members who are extremely happy with Celebrity. When you need a boost, come and read some of those posts!

Yes, there is a lot of negativity around but, if you check, there is a lot of excitment and positive feeling about the new suite perks now that the complainers have stopped posting. There is a group of Cruise Critic members who are extremely happy with Celebrity. When you need a boost, come and read some of those posts!

I agree. I have yet to have the perfect cruise in almost thirty years but some have come darn close to being perfect. I am very happy with the Celebrity product and the direction in which they are moving. ;)

Gotta love the results from this survey. Carnival (Celebrity/NCL/RCC/fill in any large line) has X number of ships (sake of argument say 20) that hold 2000+ people. So 40,000 people. Windstar has 3 ships that hold 600 people total. Crystal/Oceania and the likes also have a small number of passengers in comparison. Of course you will have the large lines on top - doesn't take a genius to figure that out!

Having traveled on Carnival/NCL/RCC/Celebrity and Windstar, there is no comparison to 150 on board versus 2500.

Sue

Agree. I would imagine that the affluent would prefer to cruise on the luxury lines...the same way they prefer to stay at the Ritz instead of the Hampton Inn.

Give the choice, I would choose any luxury line (Crystal, Regent, Silversea etc) over any mainstream line every time. Unless I was cruising with small children.

If familiarity with luxury brands is surprisingly low, then that is one answer to the question, "Why don't those who can afford it choose luxury lines?"

Actually, you pretty much can. It's a statistical effect. See my post # 24 above.

This quote is from the study's "methodology" section:

"Experience and familiarity with the 19 cruise brands listed in the survey were both low. Familiarity with the luxury brands was surprisingly low."

In other words, most of those surveyed have never heard of the luxury lines, and have no clue about the different levels of service being offered. Combine that with the large number of sailings and cabins on offer from the mass market lines and you have your explanation why so many end up on the mass market lines. It means very little other than the big lines have more business. If these people had full information, the results would likely be very different.

Thanks! We're very excited about the new Suite perks, and we think you all will be too.

If familiarity with luxury brands is surprisingly low, then that is one answer to the question, "Why don't those who can afford it choose luxury lines?"

Good question. We would always choose a luxury line if budget allowed. We've been on about 16 cruises and only two (and one booked) have been on luxury lines.

Personally, I would cruise on a higher end line before I would pay a premium for a suite on a main stream line. But I guess not everyone feels the same way.

Exactly.

Throughout this thread, the implicit underlying assumption has been that affluent people know their options, and in spite of the superiority of luxury lines which they can afford, they often choose downscale lines. The question then is, why do they prefer the downscale? But the underlying assumption is wrong. They don't necessarily prefer downscale -- they just don't know that the upscale exists. Consequently, you can't infer much of anything from their observed downscale choice behavior except that they choose from among what they know about, which is not exactly a profound revelation.

Always be wary of preference surveys (favorite local restaurants, favorite cruise lines, whatever), especially when done by newspapers and such. Those who do them seldom know what they are doing (and likely don't really care) and screw it up. They're fun to read, but are not to be taken seriously.

Edited by jan-n-john

We would easily fall into the defined category of affluent. One of the reasons we became affluent is because we managed our money well and always focused on value. We still do.

So, our current preference is Celebrity. But over the past two years we have also cruised on the dreaded NCL and Carnival. Both were fine, just different experiences.

My background is dealing with senior executives . My experience is that the more senior they are, or the more affluent they are, the more down to earth they are. You just never know who you are speaking with. But one thing for certain...the people you meet on cruises who are desperate to impress you with either their station in life or their expensive ways are not the truly affluent. IMHO they tend to be the aspirational ones....the ones with their wet noses on the window. The affluent ones tend to go about their business quietly-they have no need to impress anyone. And you are liable to find them on any cruise line. We have.

Edited by iancal

The affluent ones tend to go about their business quietly-they have no need to impress anyone. And you are liable to find them on any cruise line. We have.

We have met many down to earth affluent cruisers who fit your description.

It's always nice to mingle with people who have "made it" without drawing attention to themselves. They have nothing to prove to anyone and don't feel the need to cruise on upscale cruise lines to impress others.

Large ships provide fantastic accommodations, a choice of entertainment and a variety of dining not available on many smaller boutique lines.

It's always nice to mingle with people who have "made it" without drawing attention to themselves. They have nothing to prove to anyone and don't feel the need to cruise on upscale cruise lines to impress others.

Large ships provide fantastic accommodations, a choice of entertainment and a variety of dining not available on many smaller boutique lines.

Zenith Cruiser -

Wondering which one of the 50 Zenith members you are.

I find your handle interesting - I have essentially the same thing as an email address:).

Tom

I noticed that you and others have pointed out that there are lots of affluent folks who don';t flaunt their wealth that you have mingled with on various mass market lines. While I don't doubt there are such people, I'm curious to know how you spot and "mingle" with them given that they are "not drawing attention to themselves." Do they slip you a business card with their income written on the back? How do you know these folks you are talking about are the ones who "made it?" Share your secret. Inquiring minds want to know.

I noticed that you and others have pointed out that there are lots of affluent folks who don';t flaunt their wealth that you have mingled with on various mass market lines. While I don't doubt there are such people, I'm curious to know how you spot and "mingle" with them given that they are "not drawing attention to themselves." Do they slip you a business card with their income written on the back? How do you know these folks you are talking about are the ones who "made it?" Share your secret. Inquiring minds want to know.

We have met wonderful people at the Captain's table as well as those who want to flaunt their status. At one table a couple in the penthouse offered their accommodations (jokingly) if we would change locations because another at the table did nothing but brag about the stuff they had.

We have had the good fortune to meet others in the elite lounge over drinks and hit it off. We are not wealthy by most standards but rich in experience.

At one time we sat with a couple (on HAL) who had just spent a million or so fixing their roof!.. not the average type but we spent most of the cruise together going to the shows and sharing drinks.

We've met Mr Fain on Solstice and Reflection, an absolutely wonderful down to earth person who loves to chat with passengers about their perception of cruising.

It's not that one spots one but we just happen to meet in a lounge or gathering and find out that we share a passion for cruising. We've met others who want to let you know that they consider themselves special.

On these threads people don't post their income but by their posts we know that we either wish to avoid them or share a drink.

Thank you for noticing. :)

We try to pay attention to everything that our guests are saying, and will comment when necessary. We occasionally do miss a few posts, and do wish it was a bit more positive on here - especially lately. We have a lot of positive stories on Facebook and Twitter, is always a bit surprising that Cruise Critic is usually the most negative. Regardless, we're here for you all, and are always able to assist.

We had a great cruise last month on the Reflection. Not all of us walk around with the woe is me attitude.;)

So if money was no object, which cruise line would you pick?

A poll of affluent cruisers mentioned: (spoiler alert Celebrity is 4th choice)

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/which-brands-do-us-affluent-cruise-with-most-answer-may-surprise.html

Article sounds more interesting than it actually is. It describes a survey of 330 people, half of whom don't cruise. So it is reviewing the preferences of ~170 people. These folks are presumed to represent 1.5 million folks like themselves. The article said familiarity with various cruise brands was low. Proabably a lot of these people own their own yachts, or charter them. So what are these people representing, exactly?

Still, the question is a good one to present to those of use who actually DO cruise!! (Except that many of us have no experience on the priciest lines...)